“Nice Hotel”

Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn over the weekend with my girlfriend who was visiting from NY.
The lobby and restaurant were elegant and my room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable.
We picked this hotel because of the free parking, affordable rates and the location.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 May 2010

We had an overnighter here as we were not able to get a connecting flight the previous day. The statff were friendly and efficient. Rooms were what you would expect for $100 a night - clean but not flashy and the bed was comfortable. We were in a room that overlooked the car park which was fairly quiet but the windows were not double glazed and traffic noise and road noise on the other sides of the hotle could be a problem. I would stay here again for an overnight stopover. Free wifi was an appreciated bonus and worked well.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My husband and I with two other couples booked 3 rooms for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn through Hotwire. The property did not look as nice as in the pictures and the rooms did not have flat screen TVs. We found out there are two towers and one has been renovated. Apparently, they booked Hotwire customers to the old, non-renovated tower. There was only one elevator which was very small and extremely slow. There happened to be a big church group checking in on the same day as we and we had to wait almost an hour to get up to our floor. When my husband and I checked into our room, I found some dirt on the comforter and 4 big almond nuts on the floor that, at first, I thought were animal droppings. The TV in one of our friends' room didn't work. I called to ask for a shower cap which they said they would bring to my room but they didn't. The next day I complained about the shower cap that didn't come and asked them to clean the room thoroughly to get rid of the nuts. Our friend reported about the TV and they said that couldn't be fixed and offered to switch rooms for him. He declined to avoid packing and unpacking again. But when we came back late that night, the nuts were still there in our room in the same exact location. Apparently, they don't vacuum the floor at all!! But the most aggravating thing is a month later, they charged my credit card for an extra day. I called them on New Year's Eve to dispute the charge and it ultimately took me 5 days talking to 3 different people to have them finally reverse the charge. The first person that I spoke with was supposed to be the new manager of the property. He was most difficult to deal with. When I asked him to check their record with Hotwire, he said I should produce documentation to prove that I didn't stay for an extra day and that I shouldn't have told him to check with Hotwire. Is this even a reasonable thing to say?? DON'T BOOK THIS HOLIDAY INN EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL FROM HOTWIRE!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
HolidayInnSFO, Guest Relations at Holiday Inn San Francisco - Intl Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced in our hotel. This message is to gladly inform you that we are currently upgrading all our rooms, both towers, with new furniture. With this upgrade, our flat screen TVs will be coming in as well. I assure you that service issues are taken seriously and that we have taken necessary actions to correct them.

We appreciate your feedback as this helps improve our services. Thank you very much and we hope you give us another chance.

Reviewed 30 December 2009

Stayed here for one night as I had an early flight out of SFO. I returned rental car the night before my flight and was able to take shuttle back to hotel and then use shuttle again the next morning to get to airport to catch flight. The room I was assigned had not been upgraded, but was very clean and quiet. Bathroom had old wallpaper. I could not hear any airport noise, but my room was facing away from airport. WIFi worked well and was free. Service was fine. Typical airport Holiday Inn. No restaurants within walking distance, but there was a busy onsite Houlihans. This is your ONLY option without a car. I would stay here again if I needed an airport hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2009

If you are sensitive to noise....this is not the place to stay. Between the planes and the air conditioner that had some kind of problem, we got about 2 hours sleep. We left in the middel of the night and drove home.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Had a wonderful team at check in that greeted us and gave us our room. Received large, top floor room and was relieved to learn from the gentleman checking us in that the hotel, as of about two weeks ago, is now a non smoking property. That was great because I was worried I'd get a smoking room, which might have been intolerable.

The bed was comfortable for me, the bathroom soaps appeared to be of very good quality, the towels were quite nice. However, the hotel is quite noisy, which meant my spouse barely slept. First it was the bar patrons playing football out in the parking lot, then it was the loud people in the halls and the idiots from one room who decided to race up and down the hall at 2:20am in the morning. The highway noise was quite loud as were the airport/airplane sounds. The seals on the windows appeared to have worn out, which allowed noise from outside to get in. Although I can sleep with ear plugs to help limit the noise, my spouse cannot, so it meant a tiring night for her. A key part of a hotel experience is whether you got a good night's sleep. I can't say we did.

If it were just myself in the future I might stay here again at the right price because the hotel is wonderfully close to the rental car return area of the airport. The free parking is most welcome since it meant I didn't bother to return the car at night after I checked in. However, when I went out in the morning I noticed two police cars out directly in front of the hotel where a woman was having a report made out. Someone had smashed the window of her rental car and stolen her gps during the night, which really surprised me because the car was parked in the light right in front. That is the last thing you need to find in the morning as you're about to rush to the airport to catch your flight. Thus, please don't leave anything of value in the car over night.

If you're on business and need a quiet place to sleep, I would recommend another hotel in the area that caters to business travelers. However, with the non smoking policy and closeness to the airport, this hotel might be just fine for you if you are a sound sleeper.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We booked this hotel for a one night stay on a Friday night. We had tickets to the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park the next morning. We didn't want to stay in downtown San Francisco, too noisy and they charge you to park there. We used our new GPS locator to find the hotel on a dark Friday night. We were coming from Sacramento area. The hotel is nice but I would not rate it 5 stars. The desk staff were very nice and accommodating. We asked for a top floor room and received it with no problem. We signed up for the for breakfast deal that included a night stay and breakfast up to $20 the next morning. The room was comfortable but a bit small. The bathroom was very small - it seemed to have 1970 type of fixtures in it. Small bathroom area. The bathroom had a combination shower and tub, but the handle on the tub would not pour water into the tub. It was stuck in shower mode only. Shower on that night was not hot, but slightly warn water. The room was quiet even for a Friday night. There was some noise from the guest next door, but it settled down after while. I think the hotel needs some remodeling. The room was very clean and beds were comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was tasty and served hot. Very courteous food staff. There is free parking on the property, but get there early enough. The parking is very limited around the property. All in all, a good stay for one night.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple