“Excellent brunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We originally tried to go to Sears having read about it in guide books. As it was full we took the short walk up the hill and went into Cable Car Cafe. So glad that we did. The food was delicious, filling and great value for money. Plenty of choice on the menu providing options for breakfast, lunch or brunch.

Considering its location so close to Union Sq the price was incredibly reasonable. It is exactly the kind of place we hoped to find for our breakfast. The service was excellent and it had the feeling if a family run restaurant. If you sit to the right of the door you can watch the chef go about his work preparing the pancakes etc. He'll eve. Keep checking that everything is ok with your meal.

• Visited July 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“This is a must visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

This place is hidden in Union square and if I had not been with friends, I probably would not have visited. These were the best crepes I have had since my last visit to Paris. I had the good morning crepe...it was so much food that I had to give my additional fruit to my companions. It held me for the entire day of hiking up and down the streets of San Francisco. A must try is the basil lemonade. If you do not like herbs, please do not try this and ruin it for everyone else. This drink is amazing! You can watch the staff muddle the basil and lemons in preparation for making the beverage. It is light, it is fresh, it is tasty. The perfect beverage for a perfect brunch.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Filling brunch!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was our very last meal on our San Francisco trip and we enjoyed being able to find a nice brunch spot like this.

I had an omelette with pretty much everything in it - ham, cheese, veggies -- and it was so big that I couldn't finish it.

My wife had the pancakes, which she couldn't finish either. I loved the general atmosphere of the restaurant and we were glad we did not have to eat at the airport!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kurokitty
Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA
“What a great find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for breakfast after reading other Trip Advisor reviews. This place was fantastic. The service and food were excellent, and the staff was extremely friendly. Robert Lau welcomed us like we were best friends. We told him we were from out of town and were heading up to Napa. He disappeared for a few minutes,then came back with coupons for some wine tastings and a number of recommendations on places to visit and restaurants we should go to. Couldn't have be more impressed with this place. A definite place you should visit.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pete S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“totally retro, so cool!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I rate this excellent, not because the food is exceptional (although it is very good), but because the place is so cool - a time warp, completely unchanged from when it looks like it opened, maybe in the 1940's or 50's? Just a very little place, definitely not fancy, a counter with about 15 swivel stools and 6 or so tables. Serves a very nice breakfast, had a veggie omelet, I asked if the vegtables (spinach,etc) are frozen and he said nothing in their place is frozen, only fresh. Although the name on the front is Country Cottage Cafe, and I think that is what it is known as in the area. So thats the name you should use, when looking for it. Its right in the heart of the old South San Francisco town. Will definitely go back - its the place I will meet up with people, much cooler (and different) than the chains or Starbucks, etc.

• Visited August 2013