“You really need to stay here!”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2011

My brother and I participated in the Bay to Breakers run this weekend. We are procrastinators and needed to find a hotel room for our family (5 adults total) approximately two weeks prior to the race. Using our AAA discount on various websites, we found this hotel the cheapest and most highly rated among travelers... now I know why!

Our flight from SFO came in a bit early - approximately 8 am, but they were able to accommodate us quite early. We reserved two rooms, and they were able to put us across the hall from each other. They had adjoining rooms available but just not at the time we checked in. Although they offered to place us in adjoining rooms later that day, it wasn't too big of a deal to us.

Right away, we noticed the abundance of well-lit parking. Although the Hilton Garden Inn shares a parking lot with another hotel, Larkspur Landing Suites, there was enough parking for everyone. We even came home at approximately 3 a.m. from a wild night in the city, and there was still plenty of parking.

Immediately after walking through the front doors, we noticed that the hotel was extremely clean, and there was COFFEE!!!! They have free coffee (regular and decaf) and hot water with an assortment of tea bags ALL THE TIME! This was an excellent start to our relationship with this hotel after being up since 3 a.m. that morning to catch a 6:30 flight.

The reception staff were very friendly, funny, and accommodating. Let's just say that we asked for the most random thing - a band aid, and they brought it up almost immediately without any expectation for a tip (unlike other hotels).

The hallways have been remodeled - very trendy but subtle stripes and paisley. The rooms were immaculate, and the bathrooms were spotless. There were Neutrogena brand soap and toiletries, which was a nice touch especially because I myself am very sensitive to fragrances.

It was initially cold in our room, but the digital thermometer allowed us to find a temperature we could all enjoy. There were a microwave, coffee maker, and a small refrigerator available in each room, which was convenient for late night snacks and water.

The beds were cozy and comfortable, and the noise from the airport was minimal. Since it was only a 5-minute drive to SFO and a 15 minutes from the city, this was honestly SUCH a great deal. We didn't have to pay more for a comparable hotel room in the city, parking was free, rooms were a good size with FREE cable and internet access, and we enjoyed a cup of java every morning and evening. In addition, they had cookies available at the front desk as a light snack during the early evening.

Although we didn't use them this weekend, there is a restaurant, fitness center, and swimming pool available if desired! Overall, we were EXTREMELY happy with this hotel room, and I highly recommend this hotel for your next stay!

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank beelovestravel

Reviewed 8 May 2011

I am a fan of Hilton Hotels in general and Hilton Garden Inn's in particular. But this one fell short. Six of us on vacation shared three rooms here and we all had the same impression: this hotel is in need of updating. Our previous four nights in northern California were spent at Hampton Inn's which were heads above this Hilton Garden Inn. The beds here were uncomfortable (and doubles, not queens). Rooms were small and cramped, bathrooms very small and showing their age. I had to clean toothpaste off the picture hung in the bathroom--yuck! The business center had only one working computer. I turned in my rental car and asked the front desk clerk if the shuttle could pick me up--only at the airport terminal which was inconvenient but understandable. I got to the terminal and called for the shuttle--5 minutes. 15 minutes later I called again--5 minutes. Finally after the third call, a rattletrap shuttle bus came--40 minutes after my first call! Meanwhile the Hilton Garden Inn-Burlingame bus came past four times. That's where I'll stay on my next trip.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank wynterwynd
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I've stayed at this property several times for business travel, and it was a great place to start my vacation as I was able to take the shuttle from the airport upon arrival in the evening, and the next morning pick up my rental car to save a few bucks! The staff was consistently friendly, responsive to my requests, and made me feel welcome.

I am sensitive to sound, and I was not significantly troubled by airport noise but some travelers not accustomed to staying near airports may notice the sound.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The hotel at the time of check in took extra money as a security deposit for me and told me that it will be refunded back at the time of check out. On the days of check I asked the frant desk to check the condition of my room and refund the money back. He said your room is fine but you will get the refund in the next 4 business days. After waiting for more than 2 weeks, when I follwed up with them to refund my security deposit. Instead of addressing my request, the front desk person said that she has approved the funds and now i speak to the manager to get the refund back. My call was transferred to manager multiple times and he did not pick up the phone and neither has he responded back to my voice mail. After multiple follow up with the Hotel, money was not refunded with an excuse that their manager needs to approve it. Why don't the hotel took the approval from its manager before taking extra money from me. Well this is how a hotel like this snatches money from you. Therefore, please stay away from this Hotel !!

Room Tip: Stay away from this Hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank happyrishi
hgisfoanmanager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. We would very much like to resolve this matter to your satisfaction, and I am sorry that the matter of a deposit has not come to my attention before now. Please call me at 650-872-1515, or send me an email to keith.wesselmann@hilton.com, and I will investigate, resolve, and make amends for your frustrating experience.

I want to assure you that this is not a typical experience, and I am committed to addressing it appropriately and making sure this experience is not repeated for you or any other guest.

Keith Wesselmann

Reviewed 10 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I needed to go to the airport in the morning.
It was clean and comfortable. I was satisfied with facilities and breakfast.
You can go to SFO by shuttle bus, and it is also good. But I had to wait for the bus in front of the airport for about 30 minutes... It was boring...
I can recommend you to stay at this hotel totally.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is an HGI you should probably avoid if you travel on business. It is showing its age - stains on the carpet, faded light covers in the elevators, noisy air conditioning units.

The business center is a joke. The computers (Compaqs - when was the last time you saw a Compaq) were designed for Windows XP and are easilly 8 - 10 years old. They cannot handle any basic printing jobs without chocking and freezing up. \

It is very noisy becuase it's close to the airport - you will hear jets all night. Recomend San Bruno if noise bothers you. The hotels there are much further from the runways at SFO.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. That is the best part of the experience here. TV selection is good as well.

Also, don't take a double or queen room if you can. Old tvs and none of the new beds.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 100nightsayear_sea
hgisfoanmanager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding the computers in our business center & condition of the hotel. We appreciate all feedback from our guests and take it very seriously, and we want to assure you it does make a difference.

We understand that you must make your decisions about hotel accommodations based on whether the hotel offers a service you require – or an adequate execution of that service – and that in the case of this stay our Business Center fell short of your expectations. Along with our plans for this year to invest in improving our Fitness Center, our in-room entertainment, and our Pavilion Pantry, we also hope to make improvements to the technology in our Business Center. Your comments regarding the state of our computers helps guide how we prioritize those investments. We look forward to addressing these maters and hopefully welcoming you back as our guest soon!

Reviewed 13 February 2011

I always stay here since I can get into San Fran in about 15 minutes for fun, yet the airport is only 10 minutes away. Rooms are clean, staff very helpful and it was nice and quiet. Will stay there again, and again...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Fra...
#8 of 28 in South San Francisco
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/...
#6 of 28 in South San Francisco
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North? Share your experiences!