“Nice, quiet rooms, but the shuttle is a problem”

Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North
GreenLeadersSilver level
Walnut Creek, California
“Nice, quiet rooms, but the shuttle is a problem”
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I travel fairly frequently, and, as a HHilton Gold member have stayed at many of their airport hotels with the Park-Sleep-Fly programs. I usually prefer the Doubletree, but they were extremely expensive on this particular night, so I picked this HGI instead. When I tried to e-check-in (from home the day before), I was a little disquieted to only have King-bedded rooms made available, since I had reserved 2 beds (and was traveling with a platonic friend). I held off on the e-check-in, figuring that as a Gold member, they would hold a room with 2 beds for me. I was wrong. They did, however, indulge me with my preference of being far from the elevator, and the room was indeed very quiet.
The room had no airplane or traffic or hallway noise. Like the Doubletree, it's a pleasant night's sleep (the Homewood Suites is located next to noisy railroad tracks, and the Hampton Inn-South has significant airplane noise). I was in an even-numbered room--these have views only of the parking lot. Odd numbered rooms may have peek-a-boo Bay views. As a gold member, the hot, tasty, cooked to order breakfast was complimentary. The pool and the gym are tiny, but well-maintained.
My main problem (the king bed wasn't the main problem) was that the shuttle is a fairly small van rather than a bus like in the Doubletree. Unlike the Doubletree, whose shuttle goes every 20 minutes, this van goes only 30 minutes, and was barely able to squeeze in all of those wishing to go to the airport on this trip. It holds at most 7 guests. Frankly, when I use an airport hotel, the last thing I want to be thinking before I go to sleep is whether I'll be able to make it onto their van in the morning. So while this hotel may be great for someone visiting San Francisco and has a car (the parking is free, very unlike parking in SF itself), I will feel a little uncomfortable booking this as a Park-Sleep-Fly hotel again. I'm going to keep trying to book the Doubletree, where I don't seem to have a problem.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lebelgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC
Reviewed 17 September 2008

It's OK. Super nice staff. Clean. Comfortable.

Checking in on a Saturday I had to sign a two-page "party policy" waiver saying if I had a party in the Inn I could be kicked out. What in the world, I asked? They said it was their policy on the weekends to have guests sign the document. They have had some trouble on the weekends. What is a party? According to the document, a party is when there is anyone besides you in the room. I travel a lot and never saw that before. Kind of cheesy and unprofessional, especially for Hilton, in my view. Didn't make me mad. Just . . . weird.

A card in the room explains "HDTV" operation but it is an old standard definition TV. Another card says to check the Room Service menu in the service directory book but there was none in the book. I called and they brought me a "menu", a single page of what looked like a fifth-generation photocopy.

Pretty grim office-park location. Not much around. Dead on the weekends and nowhere to walk to.

You are charged 75 cents a day for USA Today according to the check in card. You can decline that charge if you do not want the paper. I wanted the paper and so accepted the charge, but I never got a paper.

In-room refrigerator was inoperative and smelly.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Karl38
North Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Hotel is situated in an industrial park, easy access to the freeway 101. Because of the location however, there are not many restaurants open if you check in after 10PM. Luckily there was an IHOP nearby. We stayed for one night in 8/08. Room was clean and spacious. Bathroom was also clean. View was of other office buildings but since we were staying one night, the view was not of great importance. Breakfast which was not included is a good value offering hot and cold items. No complaints of the hotel but the hotel needs to freshening.

• Liked — Spacious and clean room
  • Disliked — Located in industrial park
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank tennis0228
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2008

It's not that are stay was bad, it was fine. But after our stay I kept getting call after call from a telemarketer that would leave a recorded message on my machine-every two to three days. Since they called when I wasn't home, I always came home to some recorded message. I finally got the phone number through caller ID and called them back. They told me they got my number from the Hilton, I have only stayed once at a Hilton, that was first and last time.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — The hound you after your stay
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank adventurejanet
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Great location if you would rather not pay for parking in San Francisco. Room was clean and roomy. Furniture was attractive and comfortable. Bed was great. We used the hotel shuttle to travel to the BART station at the airport. Worked out well on the way to the airport but when we returned on a Sunday evening we waited over an hour for the shuttle to come. We finally asked one of the other drivers and was told we should call on the phone located in the pick up spot. We called and were told the shuttle was on-call only on Sunday evening. This would have been fine if we had been told this fact when we asked about the shuttle service. The pros far outweighed the cons for our stay at this hotel.

• Liked — great price using the pre-paid option on their website
  • Disliked — no breakfast included
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 June 2008

After an easy drive from SFO we found an ample parking lot for our car
Check-in was quick and efficient as we got all the preferences requested when we booked directly through the hotel site.

Since it was our first stay at Hilton Garden Inn we found the room way above our expectations clean and functionnal with very useful free WiFi internet access. Bedding was good without the need to ask for more pillows.

Drapes and curtains were thick enough to darken the room during daytime and no noise from the nearby aiport was to be heard.

Needless to say that the room was perfectly clean and housekeeping discreet and efficient.

I wish we had hotels of this quality during our tour of the California and Utah's National Parks.

The only problem was the terrible smell of fried food that continuously spread in the lobby and around the front desk area due to the proximity of the restaurant and also to a bad air recycling system.

However, this did not prevent me from booking again at this property.

• Liked — Recent and both well managed and maintained property
  • Disliked — The terrible smell of fried food throughout thelobby and the front desk area
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HOTELLMEMORE
California
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We have no major complaints about our 7 night stay here. The front desk workers were nice, the room was very clean (the most important feature to us), and our room was quiet (6th floor, on a side). The pool and fitness room looked adequate although we did not use them. Housekeeping made sure to call to ask if we needed service when we had the "do not disturb" sign on our door knob, as opposed to knocking on the door. The location is excellent--only minutes from SF. Free and ample parking and high speed wireless Internet access was a definite plus.
A trivial negative point was that the 6th floor hallway always smelled like a sweaty sock at a certain location. The Internet crawled at certain times of the day, but was usable. Also, the price was slightly higher than I would have liked to pay, but in retrospect it was worth it.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Price was a bit high
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank paulg123
Also consider these accommodations in or near South San Francisco
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grosvenor Airport Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Francisco Airport - South San Francisco
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Fra...
#10 of 28 in South San Francisco
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Francisco Airport North
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport North? Share your experiences!