“Nice and clean, BUT.......”

Red Roof Inn Stockton
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Stockton
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel was nice the rooms very small, nice for 2 people. They were clean and very updated. I loved the idea of having hard wood floors instead of carpet, great idea more hotel should go with that idea. Customer service was good. Now with that being said, for the scary part. There seems to be a lot of crime at night in this area. They had a security guard (which is good). at night my husband and I noticed a lot of night time activity. We were standing outside and it got pretty scary people yelling, cars coming and going , needless to say we went back inside locked the door, and didn't coming out til it was time to leave in the morning. The breakfast well what breakfast we didn't see one, coffee nothing. Over all because of the area I don't think we would stay there again, during the day looks safe, but at night not so much.....

Room Tip: If you are not familiar with the area check it out......Looks could be deceiving.......
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sicchik
redroofstockton, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. So glad to hear that our staff and guest rooms kept you comfortable.

We’re always striving to exceed our guests’ expectations, so it’s always a treat to hear back from folks who enjoyed staying with us.

Management was informed about the night activity you reported in the area. We discussed some sort of security system being set up that would make our valued guests feel more protected and hopefully prevent these encounters.

We truly look forward to your next stay with us, and thank you again for the kind comments!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sofia S

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Mom and I stopped in Stockton at the Red Roof. Reviews had been mixed. It was a lovely place. The outside was very attractive. Our 2 bed room was spacious, quiet, well appointed and CLEAN. The Staff were all very friendly, efficient, and capable. The pool was small. The breakfast was nice but not abundant. We would definitely stay again. It is located right off the freeway but there is a park nearby.

Room Tip: Floors 2 and 3 have a view of the water. Even the back rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My family took a road trip from southern California to Yosemite. We usually take one big vacation a year. We booked our hotel in advance, we had 3 rooms. Because of our road trip we didn't arrive until 10 pm that night when we arrived there were about 5 prostitutes outside with pimps. We were so frightened we drove around for 30 minutes trying to cancel our stay and because it was after 6 pm they wouldn't allow us to cancel. I'm positive the owner has some sort of deal with the drug dealers and pimps there is no way he doesn't know this is going on. They don't even try to hide it!. After delegating with our families (it was 15 of us in a 15 passenger van) we were so exhausted we decided to sleep a couple of hours and leave at dawn. I was so afraid we would get our van stolen I parked it in front of the office and took my 1 year old daughters car seat in the room with me.

The rooms were disgusting! they were not vacuumed and when I pulled the cover, the sheets were covered with pubic hair. I had to put the covers back on and put my own blanket over it so my daughter could sleep on it. The restrooms were old, dirty and also covered with pubic hair.

They offer complimentary breakfast, Biggest joke!!! when I walked in they had a mini fridge with two rotting apples and one orange sitting in there. coffee was super old and they offered a Danish bread as your breakfast. when I asked them for orange juice the lady brought out a gallon of Tampico. If your not familiar with Tampico its citrus punch, you can buy a gallon at the grocery store for a dollar.

I was so upset by this time I went complain at the front desk and of course the receptionist said the manager was not there and there was nothing she could do with out his approval. That she would try to give us a 20.00 discount, which of course we never saw.

IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Joana A
redroofstockton, Webmaster at Red Roof Inn Stockton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Red Roof Inn and thanks for staying with us.

We have investigated the points mentioned in the review.

Our apologies for the inconvenience howsoever.

Every step has been taken to enhance the safety and security for our guests.

The room cleanliness and the breakfast department are being professionally upgraded and checked. The front desk staff have been given additional training.

Please consider staying with us again and see the change.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My son and I stayed in this hotel when we moved from WA to CA. We have stayed in a Red Roof Inn in Washington D.C., which was quite nice, so we did not hesitate to book this hotel. We wrongly assumed that all Red Roof Inns have more of less the same standard but that could not be further from the truth. The Red Roof Inn in DC was like a good Holiday Inn while the one in Stockton was more like a bad Travelodge.

First the pros of this hotel:

- the front desk people were quite pleasant and helpful
- there are many close circuit cameras around the hotel
- easy access to I-5

Now for the cons:

- we did not feel safe. There were half a dozen of loiterers around the hotel. I even heard the front desk lady threaten a loiterer on the 2nd floor to leave or she would call the police.
- we had a 2 bed room, which were all located at the back of the hotel. These rooms were right next to I-5, so they were very noisy. We could even feel the vibration.
- our room was filthy. I used my own towel and I wore my dirty travel clothes to bed.
- our minivan was full of things because of the move, and we did not feel that our things would be safe because there were loiterers in the parking lot with very loud music. Fortunately, we found a parking space in the line of sight from the office, and our van was not broken into.
- breakfast was meager - cereal, coffee, pastry, toast and juice.

We didn't sleep well and woke up at 5 am. When we went to the front desk to check out at about 6 am, we were surprised that more than half the vehicles parked there the previous evening were gone. Perhaps those guests were smarter than us and stayed elsewhere for the night.

Also, when we were checking out, there was a loiterer sitting in the lobby using the free wifi. From the demeanor of the front desk lady, I got the feeling that this loiterer was not a guest but she was afraid to ask him to leave.

I travel quite a lot and this is possibly my worst hotel stay. You could not pay me to stay here again. There are several hotels about 2 miles north on I-5 along March Lane. Pay a little more and stay there instead. Those hotels look much safer and they're in a much more convenient location. The is no restaurant near the Red Roof Inn; you have to go to March Lane for food.

After we checked out, we did some research on the Red Roof Inn and found that 2 people were found murdered in its parking lot.

A note to the management of the Red Roof Inn in Stockton:

If you can only do one thing to improve the hotel, I recommend you hire a full time security guard around the clock to get rid of people who do not belong from the property.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds are at the back of the hotel, which is next to I-5. These rooms were very noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being at the Red Roof Inn.

We have also noticed the review.

The hotel management has taken strict action to ensure that our guests get a secure and comfortable stay.

We are also investigating the entire incidence and as you have mentioned we have cc tv recordings to help us.

We are glad that you liked the front desk staff hospitality.

We assure you a safe and clean stay next time.

Please do visit us.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

i liked how everything was clean.The clerk was very nice and professional i would stay there again. The only thing i would recommend is a ice machine on the third floor. I will definitely tell my family and friends about the red roof inn. I also like the late night special keep up the good work.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My mother and I were moving from washington to california and after all day driving we finally found a hotel online, the red roof inn. When we got there it seemed okay right after we checked in two men came out and just kept watching us, and one starts following us. We decided to go to dinner but felt so uncomfortable we brought our electronics with. While we were gone we did more research and the day before someone had been murdered there. We came back and found two men around one of our vehicles and what looked like casing it. During the short time there we also saw drug dealing and prostitution in the parking lot. We went back to the room and looked around the sheets were dirty the bathroom was gross. So we decided we'd leave and because after 6pm we couldnt get a refund. We spent the night sleeping in our car at a rest stop where we felt safer at than that hotel. Do not stay here! Worst mistake!

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for being at the Red Roof Inn.

We have received similar complaints from few other esteemed guests who stayed at that time. Our apologies for the inconvenience howsoever.

We have made complete arrangements to augment safety and security for our guests. The cleanliness and amenities of the rooms are being checked and confirmed before checking in a new guest.

Please visit us again and have a new experience.