“Only the ambience holds this place back (a little)...”
Review of Pane E Vino - CLOSED

Pane E Vino
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We were looking for a place to eat on our trip home from Napa, and stumbled across this place, while cruising through the Suisun City waterfront area.

The food was excellent (wife had the risotto with shrimp, and I had the gnocchi with pesto, both of which were exceptionally good). The service was adequate but very friendly. We had a fantastic bottle of Italian Sangiovese with our meal (the best I Sangiovese I have ever had -- and it was "only" $28 for the bottle)! There was some nice music playing in the backtground and we could overhear the chef chatting with our waitress -- in Italian! That was neat.

The only negative was that, while the owners have tried to add some ambiance with paint and paintings on the walls, there were these harsh flourescent lights shining down, as if you were eating in a school cafeteria or fast-food restaurant. And the tables are arranged in one big room, which seemed to amplify the fact that everything (and everybody) was bathed in this hideous lighting, which is about 180 degrees from "romantic".

They really need to do something about the lighting, because they have pretty much nailed everything else, and better ambiance would really elevate this place to the next level.

2  Thank ScottV95691

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stumbled into Pane E Vino one evening somewhat later than our usual dinner time. As has been stated here, this is not a cozy Italian restaurant. What it is is a great authentic Italian food. This review is only based on one visit and really one dish but it was a great dish. I had the pumpkin ravioli and it was excellent. There are only a limited number of items on the menu and if you are looking for a cozy Italian restaurant with checkered table cloths this is not it. But if you want something like you might get in Italy, you should give Pane a try. Its a good sign when the cook and the wait staff are conversing in Italian. The service was very friendly but not quite as attentive as some might like. Still it was the food. If Pane was here in Austin Texas it would be on my regular schedule.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I were recently in Suisun City (about 70 miles from where we live) for one of my grandson’s baseball tournaments, and we had no idea where to go for dinner. We, along with our son, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren, ages 10 and 12, decided to try Pane e Vino based on TripAdvisor reviews. We had looked forward to trying one of the Neapolitan-style pizzas written about in previous TripAdvisor reviews, but unfortunately Pane e Vino stopped making them a few months ago; there just wasn’t enough demand for authentic Neapolitan pizzas in California. That’s too bad. Suisun City may be 70 miles from where we live, but Naples is even further. Italian pizzas, and especially Neapolitan pizzas, are unequaled – and we have found nothing even close in this country.

We found the menu to be limited. What Pane e Vino did offer was, for the most part, good – not great. As soon as we entered the restaurant, they told us that they did not have a children’s menu. We didn’t think that would be a problem, because all Italian restaurants have some sort of spaghetti, right?

We had a bruschetta starter, shared by everyone; it was freshly made, appropriately seasoned, and fantastic – as good as anything we’ve had in Italy. My 12-year-old grandson wanted spaghetti with only butter on it or plain spaghetti with a meatball. But they didn’t have spaghetti at all, and meatballs were not available, so my grandson settled for cheese tortellini with butter. I tried his cheese tortellini and thought it was cooked to perfection and very flavorful; I just wish my grandson had wanted sauce. My 10-year-old granddaughter wanted fettuccine Alfredo; however, as with my grandson, they did not have fettuccine Alfredo. They did have a special of lemon fettuccine in a white sauce with salmon, which seemed to work for her. My son tried my granddaughter’s fettuccine and thought it was quite good. The portions were large, so both of the kids took boxes home.

From the regular menu, my son wanted the artichoke ravioli, but it was not available. Both my son and daughter-in-law had the lobster ravioli special. They both thought it was very good.

My wife and I both had veal funghi in a cream sauce with porcini mushrooms. It was tender, cooked to perfection, and wonderful. Everybody’s meal with came a house salad. There were no salad options on the menu.

The owners, a husband/chef and wife/server, tried their best to accommodate our requests and worked their tails off to do so. They were great.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Cozy little restaurant and food was A+++ Fantastic..Service was Great too :) definitely reccomend! Salad, pasta, wine, everything delicious and homemade flavor

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My Husband and I go out every Tuesday for date and try new places. We went here last night. He ordered the lobster ravioli which was very good. I ordered the shrimp and mushroom risotto and it was very delicious. We ordered the mussels for a starter. I do not care for mussels much but these were good. The prices were very good. Will definitely go back again.