“I Love the MOOSE”

Dining options: Reservations
Oxnard, California
“I Love the MOOSE”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Nugget has a great atmosphere making you feel your in a cabin. Wooden walls decorated with furry animals. All stuffed of course. I especially love the Moose with Christmas lights hanging from his reindeers. Burgers are good but pricey. But then if you want ambiance you have to dig a little bit deeper in your pocket. Fun place!

• Visited May 2014

Santa Barbara, California
“AVOID”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Ok, so I have lived in SB for about 15 years, and moved to Montecito about a year ago, just over the hill close to The Nugget. While living in SB, Joe's Cafe was my go to place for dinner for years (even through its changes), but it seemed too far now for convenient dining. I do miss how they knew me and took good care of me when I showed up, always trying hard to be accommodating! I have tried The Nugget about six times in the past year thinking it may become our sort of neighborhood spot, my new Joe's. I really wanted it to be! Well.....

My wife will not go anymore because.....
1. the food is mediocre AT BEST (not really horrible, nothing special) - BUT could live with that;
2. the service is, yup...mediocre - AND could live with that;

But the worst, and the reason my wife will not step foot in there, is that they ALWAYS have the booths "reserved," and EVERY TIME, without fail, they are never filled while we are eating. It is annoying. My guess is they don't care because it is essentially the only sit down restaurant in the area, and they don't see it as having an effect on their bottom line. Maybe it doesn't.

I went again tonight because my wife is out of town. I hadn't been in a while and I thought I would give them a try again. I warned my guest of the reason my wife won't go anymore, and - you guessed it - they gave us a crummy table in the rear while the "reserved" booths were never filled during our dinner. What is that!!!

Well, I guess I will travel to Montecito from now on (an extra 3 minutes away) or hit Stacky's or Tinkers if I want something quick that is around the corner.

Not only am I done with The Nugget but I suggest that if you are visiting the area, go to Carp or Montecito, and pick a place, just about anyplace, and you will certainly be happier and more satisfied than if you went here. Maybe Joe's isn't that far after all!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank santabarbaraserenity
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Average nugget”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Was in town visiting family. Went for dinner. Reminded me of a place in Alaska. I had the Chicken Picatta which was dry and overly seasoned with capers, too much vinegar. The rice pilaf wasn't, no flavor and over cooked. The vegetables were crunchy which I liked. My husband had the South Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich. The sauce was average and no real tang. Not sure why they called it South Carolina, the sauce gave no indication it was of that place. service was ok. I was a bit concerned by the way the waiter would refill our water glasses. usually one picks up the glass at the base to pour water so you fingers or finger tips never touch the rim where we all put our mouths to drink. This guy put is whole hand down the glass from the top and picked up the glass in the middle of the glass. He probably thinks he isn't touching the glass by doing it this way but the sides of his fingers definitely touch the glass when you approach from the top of the rim. The trip to the bathroom was interesting. You walk thru the reach in (frige) area where the floor had bits of produce scattered. One could see the kitchen as well, and having worked as a breakfast chef I know things get dropped but the floor shouldn't be that filthy. Not a place I would go back to for food.

• Visited November 2013
Los Osos, California
“Visit for the atmosphere and not so much for the food”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We found ourselves in Summerland and it was time for lunch. Spotted the Nugget and wanted to give it a try. It's western atmosphere attracted us. A large bar is prominent in the dining area and appears to be a local hangout. Didn't try a burger but a variety of them dominate the menu. Had one of their chicken cobb salads that was barely average. It was mostly lettuce with a minute amount of chicken. Nice staff. Fun décor. It was relatively quiet when we lunched here but I could tell that this place probably gets loud when full. Most likely I would not return for a meal here again and would not suggest friends go out of their way to eat here either.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good traditional burger”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Nothing fancy, no gimmicks, just a good old burger. Good fries too. Nice service. Fair price. And summerland is a quaint pretty little town perched on a hill. Worth a visit if you like me are on a road trip across the pacific highway.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Nugget? Share your experiences!