“A cool concept and really quite good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 374 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Evelyn
Transit: Caltrain Sunnyvale station
Description: Located on Historic Murphy Ave. in downtown Sunnyvale, Rok, Stone-Age Fondue & Steakhouse is a truly unique dining experience. Our signature specialty is called Hot Rok. Premium entrees are delivered to your table seared and sizzling on hot volcanic Roks. Diners bask in the aroma as their entrees cook right before their eyes. Every bite is hot, juicy, and delicious, ready to be enjoyed as is or dipped in a variety of our specially-created dipping sauces. We also offer the best part of fondue...cheese appetizer fondues and chocolate dessert fondues. If you combine Hot Rok with fondue in a pot (we call it the Rok n Pot) we guarantee a wonderful evening of dining enjoyment. Our full bar features fruit-infused vodkas and a wine list that offers many varietals by the glass. If coming just for the Rok, you can be in and out in an hour. If enjoying the Rok n Pot, you should plan on approx. 2 hours. Please join us for the ultimate evening of dining enlightenment.
Northern California
“A cool concept and really quite good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We've been here twice and the concept is fairly cool, you finish cooking your own meat over a 700 sizzling rock.

It's a kind of fun way to try a meal, and my steak was pretty good. One nice thing is that you tend to cut small pieces and cook each one individually, so you don't eat too quickly - which can be good for people trying to watch their weight. On the other hand, they also push both cheese and chocolate fondues, which can be very caloric.

They had a variety of meats, including elk, buffalo, and kangaroo the night we visited. Although it's interesting to try kangaroo, it is a game meat and so tougher than the steak. They also have chicken, which doesn't cook as well on the hot rock, it can come out a bit dry.

The cheese fondue was OK, the chocolate fondue was good. I had both sauteed mushroom (really good) and vegetables (not very good). Food is at least 3.5 stars, but I give it 4 for the fun ambiance,

Be warned that he costs can jump quickly with the fondues. Our party of 6 spend just over $300 (incl tax/tip) with 6 entrees, 4 appetizer fondues, 3 dessert fondues, and no alcoholic beverages.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sarnico, Italy
“LEt's go inside it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I strongly suggest to try this food, specially the Kebab combo (chicken, beef, lamb and so on...with gorgeous rice.

The service is fast and kind, the price is good and the atmosphere is relaxant.

Really good. Compliment to the chef!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nevada City, California
“Yummmmmmmmy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was a very unique and delightful dining experience. We started with a garlic fondue made right at our table. Then we enjoyed a "sampler" of meats and fish cooked on a 700 degree "rok" also right at our table!! HIghly recommend this place!

Visited April 2014
San Jose, California
“Not all that great......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Very overpriced for what we received. We ordered the "Love on the Rock" for $58 for two. I would not pay more than $40 for what we received. The Ahi was very fishy and the portion size was VERY small. The filet and the bison were very good though. The chicken, well, it was chicken. The sides were nothing to write home about and the sauces were not very good. But in all fairness, I do not like ginger which was in 2 of the 3 different sauces. The service was very good and the ambiance was pretty nice. I did make reservations and nobody asked if I wanted to sit in the outside portion, so I was a little confused when they seated me and my spouse out there without asking. I was worried it would be too cold for me, but as soon as the meal showed up everything warmed up with the hot rocks.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sunnyvale, California
“absolute fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Cooking your own meat on a very hot type of lava rock. This way I got my meat the way I want it!! And lots of choices of meat from Buffalo to Kangaroo to Alligator and everything in-between. Oh, the sauces that go with the meat are delicious.

Visited May 2013