“They aim to please”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Best value ever. AAA rates, free wi-fi, free FULL breakfast (more on that in a minute), free in-room fridge (and not just a tiny sliver of a pressure-sensitive mini-bar), in-room safe, iron & ironing board, alarm clock w/iPod hook-up, HBO & Showtime, and great shower products by Lather (they have shampoo AND conditioner + lotion, in biodegradable bottles). They have an adjustable massaging showerhead, and the room and bathroom are clean, with plenty of outlets and workspace. They also provide free use of computers & printers in the lobby for printing out boarding passes. The entire place is also gated, with the exception of the main entrance -- though some guests do temporarily prop the gate open with a rock -- so there is a sense of security. The breakfast is always well-stocked, all the way up until the end, and includes french toast, bacon, scrambled eggs, bagels & toast (you toast) w/cream cheese & jam, danishes, cold cereals & granola, yogurt, oatmeal, and fruit, plus orange juice and apple juice, soy milk, milk, coffee, and tea, and they recently added salsa, white rice, kimchee, miso soup, and nori -- undoubtedly in response to feedback. Comfortable beds, quiet location. I love this place; at this price, it's worth staying here instead of with my parents when I visit the area.

One potential negative is for people who have heavy luggage -- they have no elevators, so you'll have to ask for a room on the first floor. However, if you do, be prepared to deal with Harry Heavyfoot in the room above you. I always prefer to be on the second floor, for that reason.

The only problem I had was with the occasional inconsiderate jerks (and/or their rugrats) who would go parading past the door either conversing loudly or otherwise forgetting that there were other people around them, but the irritation did not last long and that's the fault of the other guests, not the hotel. The good thing is that the windows face out toward the parking lot (so you can check on your car), and not toward the hallway, so the hallway noise is comparable to a typical hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second-floor room if you're OK with stairs, and if you're a non-smoker, ask for a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank bengo4

Reviewed 6 October 2011

I stayed at Wild Palms for a business trip. The rooms were clean, and the toiletries that the hotel provided were quite nice (love that exfoliating soap!). The breakfast, included in the room rate, features fresh items, making the hotel a decent value in that regard. However, I found the gym to be utterly disappointing -- no free weights, no balance ball, no functioning treadmill during my stay, no real place to stretch, and only three pieces of cardio equipment. Unlike its sister hotels, there was no free evening happy hour. My room was on the first floor, and I had to keep my blinds closed at all times because it was easy for folks to look in the windows. And, I had to kill two relatively large and creepy spiders in my room and leave a note for the cleaning staff to provide me with more soap. In sum, not my top choice of hotels in the area, but not a complete dump either.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I found this hotel on this site and i looked at the virtual tour of the facilities and i loved the look of it and i read through the reviews and people gave some bad reviews but thought i would still give it a try. And i am so glad that i did!! i loved the room and the staff was so nice and helpful. had no complaints! i am looking forward to my next stay there when my friend comes out next week.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Comfortable, updated room, nice desk area, good amenities - fridge (micro would have been nice), workout center, breakfast, pool, spa. Only fault would be we were on the road side so we needed to keep the air conditioner running overnight rather than open the windows - fan was loud with just one setting. Weekend price was great, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I booked a room at this hotel and I was told I could pay cash at check in, being I am a student and plan my budget accordingly this way. I called several times to clarify my status and cash pay at check in.
I arrived at the front desk and the lady was talking non stop on the phone about her personal problems. I then introduced myself and she barely made eye contact and said " we take no cash at check in". I had a HUGE wedding to go too, and told her that I had made plans via phone-about using cash and had the cash with me in hand to pay. She again said no, and said " Sorry, you made a mistake."- I was horrified, and pretty much scared being it was 10.00 pm ( drove from Oregon) and had no idea where else to sleep that night!!! I called mind you six times to make sure cash was OK!!! I then asked if a friend could call in her credit card number and just charge her card, she said " no way, we don't know you from jack!" - I am still mad, and this was about a week ago. HORRIBLE. I ended up driving two more hours to the location of the wedding, and family house. HORRIBLE SCARY SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!! AVOID!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vegasbound45963
jhconde, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Dear Vegasbound45963 ~ Please accept my apologies that this was your experience at the hotel. This is most certainly an unusual incident and I would very much like to find out more information about your experience and help bring you some resolution for this frustration, though I don't have quite enough information to contact you directly. Would you please contact me at the hotel so that we can discuss this and I can assist you in finding a resoltuion ?

Julie Conde
Wild Palms Hotel
408-328-6501

Reviewed 12 August 2011

We usually stay at the Hotel Avante, part of the same Joie de Vivre hotel chain, about 3 miles up the street, when we visit family in town. We decided to give Wild Palms a try, as it was a few bucks cheaper. Well, it's not really cheaper for the room once the amenities are added in. The Avante has one price point for a double room. It comes with a flat screen, bathrobes etc. Well, the Wild Palms has that too, but you need to "upgrade" to a "deluxe" double room, so the cost is the same. There definitely is more of a "party atmosphere" at the Palms. We were there on 2 separate nights (both Saturdays) and the pool and jacuzzi were jam packed both times until after 10 PM. Usually at the Avante, the pool area is uncrowded.
We thought the Palms might be better for our young kids (6 and 9) since it seemed a bit more casual. Well, the Avante may be more "business like" for the business traveler, but I preferred the quiet and lack or crowds. The Palms was a bit more rowdy, with guests (adults) shouting in the hallway and making noise well past midnight.
The staff at both hotels are great, and the breakfast is pretty much the same, but I think next time we'll stay at the Avante.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Don't stay at the Wild Palms expecting it to be a Marriott or a Hilton. This is definitely a place where you get what you pay for. It's not that bad, but it's not that great either. The staff is friendly, there's a small business center for printing out boarding passes and using the internet, the room rate includes wireless internet and breakfast, and the rooms are clean. The pool area looked nice, but I did not sit out there.

I stayed there for two nights. Upon arrival, I was asked if I wanted an upstairs or downstairs room. I chose downstairs, which I later learned was a mistake. (The first night was fine, but on the second night, I felt like I was in my old apartment where I could hear my upstairs neighbor stomping around). I entered my room, and the alarm clock was flashing 12:00. I set the time, turned off the lights in the room, and the clock went out. I guess it was connected to an outlet that turned off with the lights. I went to call the front desk, and the phone didn't work. I realize that these are minor issues, and that the front desk got things resolved the next day, but it just left a bad impression. Laying down on the bed, I noticed that the bed wasn't very comfortable to me. Turning on the tv, I noticed that the remote was old and the buttons were difficult to press.

Like I said, all of these little things added up to bad impression. That, combined with a bed that wasn't super comfortable and being able to hear people walking around upstairs, resulted in this 3-star review.

Room Tip: Definitely choose an upstairs room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GlobalSpy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#6 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!