“Beautiful hote with excellent staff and service”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Auburn, California, United States
“Beautiful hote with excellent staff and service”
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Just when you have given up on humanity and good service, an experience like last night's changes your view. Last night, we checked into the tropically landscaped Wild Palms Hotel in Sunnyvale. We were very pleased with our room and the grounds. Clean, nicely decorated modern rooms (not blase like most hotel rooms) were a plus in addition to the lovely landscaped grounds decorated with artistic tile work and ceramics throughout. We ate at the nearby Fish Market (great restaurant) and then hot tubbed at the hotel. After sleeping for three plus hours, we were awakened rudely by some unruly guests who obviously were inebriated and louder than all get all, playing music loudly, banging doors, yelling in the hallway. I called the lobby and the clerk tried his best to contact them. He was working alone so it really was risky for him to confront them. Instead he moved us to a nicer room and made several trips to help us carry Christmas gifts, etc. He was very apologetic. We were satisfied with the outcome. However, the hotel staff continued to be very accommodating and apologetic. They further reduced our already discounted rate and surprised us with a Christmas gift for our daughter wrapped wonderfully and a bottle of wine with wine glasses for my husband and I. They also wrote a lengthy letter letting us know that they strive for the very best for their guests (and they obviously do) and that they were very sorry for the unruly guests whom are not the norm for their hotel. I also witnessed their staff be very kind and helpful to people in the breakfast room (which by the way is very nice with red tile and french windows). The hotel is also within walking distance of many great restaurants and shopping areas. It is quiet with no street noise. The clientele are mostly families and professionals--our neighbors were way outside the average person we saw there during our stay. Great hotel with fast WiFi and nice televisions..I could go on and on. If you need a place to stay in the South Bay and want to support smaller hotel chains that also strive to have a smaller eco-footprint but also want to have superior service, then stay at the Wild Palms.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room that faces the parking lot or pool area.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanna J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Marshall, Texas
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We stayed at the wild palms for several daya to attend a Stanford graduation Location was great, rooms were clean and quiet. The included breakfast was better than most, more of a buffet than the sparse offerings of many competitors, with scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, etc. Decor was nicely unique - again a nice break from the standard box hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I was looking for a hotel in the Sunnyvale area and the Wild Palms had everything I needed.
A very good Wireless LAN which was very important for me. Breakfast was included which consisted of scrambled Eggs and Sausage. Cereals with milk or yoghurt and some pastries and bagels. More than enough to start the day.
I stayed for 12 nights and then for another 6 nights and my room was fine. Two queen beds and enough space on a working desk.
The only problem I had was the really low office chair. Front desk just told me that all are the same. But the height of the chair relative to the height of the desk is not OK. I had to use some of the fancy pillows to adjust it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I was really disappointed in my experience at the Wild Palms. First trouble was when I checked in (late evening... around 10-ish) and there wasn't anyone around to help check me in for a good 10 minutes. I wasn't sure I was even at the front lobby. There was no one to be found. Once someone came back to the desk (no doubt they were legitimately helping out a guest who needed help, but not having a back up to staff the front desk seems a bit strange).

The next weird thing was the set up. It's a lot like a motor inn in that the rooms open to the outdoor to the concrete hallway that runs around the interior of the complex. The white iron gates that prevent outsiders from entering the side entrances to the hallways aren't a boost to one's confidence that the hotel is in the best neighborhood. Because the hallways are outdoor and cement, it is VERY loud in the morning (or at night) when workers wheel their laundry carts by, or even when Guests talk and walk by.

The rooms were fine. Clean, though very dated and cheesy. I guess for less than $100 you can't ask for too much more, but I just don't see anything compelling to go back for.

Newport Coast, CA
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This was a business trip for me and the location and price were right. I've stayed at Joie de Vivre properties before and they always have cool stylings. This seemed like an old Motel 6 that had been updated. So you know the property layout: Two story, outside hallways, etc. They had done a nice job with the decor and the tropical style. All the needed features were present but a bit run down. However, they had some unexpected amenities like a big remote control stereo which I welcomed and lots of office supplies such as a stapler in the desk area. Not a comfortable desk chair though. No flat screen TV. On the last day I couldn't find a seat in the breakfast room but there were chairs outside in the courtyard - chilly! All in all, it was perfectly acceptable for a business trip and a good value.

Room Tip: Personally I would prefer second floor and a doorway not exposed to the courtyard.
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My husband and I were up in Sunnyvale to visit our son and stayed the weekend at this hotel. We asked for a room on the second floor and the clerk was happy to oblige. The air conditioning was loud, but it was white noise, so it helped us to sleep well. Windows open, which is nice too. Shower was hot, with good water pressure, important to us. Breakfast was very good. Eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, juice, coffee, and rolls one morning and then sausage and pancakes instead of the potatoes and bacon the next day. We sat outside on the patio adjoining the breakfast room. There was plenty of parking. We did not use the pool, but it looked very attractive and there were families that were enjoying it. We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This hotel is not a big "wow", but everything is very clean, rooms are pretty confortable and it's a good location with plenty around (considering the region).

The towels and toiletries provided are quite nice. Breakfast (which is included) was honest, with decent fresh food.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the lobby. People who I was staying with says it gets pretty loud.
1 Thank Anaik v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
#5 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!