“It's not the Ritz, but it was what I paid for and a little bit more!!!”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Seattle, Washington
“It's not the Ritz, but it was what I paid for and a little bit more!!!”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I try to get away locally every so often and for this trip I choose another one of the JDV hotels. While this location isn't the Ritz it was suitable for my needs and budget. At first I reserved a deluxe room but after speaking to the staff I was sold on the upgraded executive room. Don't let the name fool you! The only difference with the rooms is that the upgrades have flat screens and are on the interior side of the hotel. If you aren't spending time in the room I would ask to be in the back of the hotel (I think it's the 3 building) because its quiet there.

The room was clean, the breakfast was free and decent, and my girlfriend and I enjoyed the free wine and roses the staff gave us. In short, the hotel isn't a 4 star full service hotel but they're a solid 3 star that (DOES NOT have a bar even if the sign says so) that had a decent room with great service.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Free2trip
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback and understanding that we are a solid 3 star property and agree we are not the Ritz. We try to give 4 star service!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
Ra'anana, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Wild Palms offers great value for a sillicon valley business stay. The rooms are nice, if a little noisy sometimes (if you're on the El Camino side), the service is great. They have great flatscreen TVs in all roms and they deliver packages directly to room (so you don't have to go to reception). Breakfast is typical American and the swimming pool is just big enough for laps on Sunday.

Room Tip: Try to be on the 2nd floor close to a stairway that leads directly to a good parking space. Those ar...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tzvika B
Detroit
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This was my second stay at Wild Palms. I was less impressed during this stay, since the carpeting was still wet from a recent cleaning, however the room was very clean, the front desk was welcoming and accommodating to my requests, and most importantly the bed was very comfortable. This was the second occurrence, where I booked the hotel through Hotwire and received a rate under $70. This is not a Kimpton, where I'd pay above $100, but for a $70 rate this was a very nice stay. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I liked the open air courtyard of the highly renovated motel. All rooms face inwards towards a courtyard (two courtyards, one with a pool), and there is not exterior access to any room. This allows a lot of natural sunlight into the building, and fresh air, which I preferred.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Got here very late and was able to find the hotel on GPS. Nice girl at the counter, checked us in quickly. Room was small but nice, everything was clean. I was a little nervous based on some reviews as we have high standards for cleaning. Room was perfect for what we were after... if we were staying longer I would opt for a larger room. Bathroom was nicely done. We didn't eat the breakfast but I ran down to get some coffee.. had organic coffee and tea, nice display of fruit and juice. Overall I only had one complaint of the room. We had the smallest OLD TV... not that it was ultra important, but just found it odd with how "updated the room" was.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for all the great comments and as we continue to improve the property we will be upgrading the TV's in the near future. Not all the rooms have the older TV but some do. Thank you again for the favorable responses.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I think this is a dive motel for people who can't smoke marijauna at home. First it is a "motel" not a hotel. Very run down, poorly renovated. The rooms smelled somehow really funky - can't quite say what it is but perhaps some whacky tobaccy.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
We are sorry that someone smoked marijauna in or around your room. We will do our best to prevent that in the future as this rarely happens. Thank you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Good hotel. Friendly and professional staff! Breakfast was great! Got an amazing deal from expedia.com. Only issue was Room number 4618. The room was next to the security gate that exits toward the rear parking lot. We stayed at room 4618 and we can hear the banging of the steel gate every time someone enters or exits the property. Management should seriously consider adding additional insulation on the walls. Probably consider not using this space altogether as a room. I was awaken at 5 am by the loud banging of the steel gate.

Aside from this, I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again if I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here on my way through town. This hotel is unique in the way it is decorated, has some nice amenities with the canopy beds, fridge in the rooms, and a stereo/cd player. The beds and room were spacious and comfortable. It was very quiet the night I stayed with the exception of the staff starting very early in the morning to begin cleaning. They had very loud voices which was not great considering we were out late the night before and I had a small child.
I did use the pool which was very nice and clean and the fitness room which was very small and did not have enough equiptment for the amount of rooms in this hotel.
The breakfast was a bit disappointing, no waffles or pancakes but a pan of rice?! How many Americans eat rice for breakfast? I understand they cater to the buisness community but to substitute these two is not a wise choice. The price was just OK, probably could have got a better deal on priceline but was with a friend who frequents this property for buisness.
Had to wait awhile for staff to help at the front desk, but wasn't in any hurry so it didn't bother me much.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 5 in Cupertino
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!