“Surprising amount of bonuses”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Surprising amount of bonuses”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here on business. It was 5 minutes from a hotel that I paid $100 more last time. It looks a little understated from the outside. Has a motel feel if you were to drive by it. This hotel was a little hard to find and its a little hard to get in and out of because of its location at El Camino and Wolfe. However,the room was clean, bed was comfortable and the toiletries provided were from Lather which is a great brand. Robes were provided and breakfast was very good and included. I've paid for a lot less at other places. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms near the stairs are noisy. Better to have rooms further away.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hello Ken B,

I'm so happy we surprised you in such a pleasant manner. Our goal is to be unique and offer the best possible service and do the best at what we can control. We can't change that we have exterior corridors, but we did add beautiful gardens and landscaping around the entire property. Thank you for noticing all the extra bonuses and your fantastic 5 star review.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Robin Donovan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Lompoc, California
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I attend the Bridge School Concert every year and try to stay at the Wild Palms overnight. I enjoy this hotel for several reasons primarily for the comfort, price, and setting of the facility. It's neither luxurious nor ostentatious but it's a well maintained site that I've always enjoyed. It is close to many restaurants and stores and within walking distance. I arrived early but the staff accommodated me and checked me in without haste. I always look forward to my stay at the Wild Palms.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you Rick L. for the great comments. I hope you enjoyed the concert, I know the weather was perfect for it. I'm glad we continue to add to your concerting going experience and look forward to seeing you next season.

Take care,

Irvine, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I don't normally write reviews since it is seldom deserved. Today I checked in and Shawn helped me with my room. Very friendly and knowledgeable Guy and he made me feel right at home! He follwed up with a call when I got settled and also recommended dinner at the Fish Market...great food and it made my night! Healso made arrangements for my taxi and shuttle service...wow. this goes above and beyond my expectations! Thank you Shawn!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Hello Thoa P,

The first thing I am going to do is thank Shawn for making your experience at Wild Palms better than you expected. Next of course is thanking you for taking the time to write this fantastic review. It's great to see when a guest is pleasantly surprised by our service and it's even better when I can personally thank a team member by name. BTW-I love the Fish Market, they do have great food and they are really close to the hotel.

Thank you again and please come back and visit us soon.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I spent one night in this hotel. It is extremely conveniently located near to El Camino Real, but the local area is short of places to eat on a Sunday night and the hotel has no restaurant.
Room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom also OK with a decent shower - but it was very noisy, both from other guests and from the nearby streets.
Staff were all excellent, pleasant, helpful and really cared about helping out, but that didn't really offset the noise unfortunately.
Avoid getting a cab from San Francisco International to this hotel, it's a ridiculously expensive fare!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room away from the roads if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. I'm really sorry that the noised disturbed your stay, I know that is disappointing. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the staff. Sorry that the cab cost so much and for this area, and going to and from SFO, I think renting a car might make more sense.

Have a great day,

Northfield, NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 9 days while visiting our son who was doing an Internship nearby. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean and attractively decorated. We booked a room with two double beds for my husband, my daughter and I. The mattresses were very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The facility had a nice size pool and provided a better than average complimentary breakfast with various hot and cold food choices. They also had a lot of tables in their dining area and room for overflow guests on the veranda and in the lobby areas.

My only complaint would be that the insulation between floors was minimal at most. We were on the first floor and could hear every move of the people above us. We didn't expect silence and understood typical movement, but the people above us paced and ran around in the middle of the night. We had thought we'd be in a great room, as it was an end room. Not only did we have the noise from upstairs, but there was a security gate right next to our room and we heard it being slammed shut at all hours. After 2 nights, we asked the attendant at the front desk if the people above us were going to be there much longer. They said that they weren't checking out anytime soon and recommended we be moved. They said they would put us in a room on the 2nd floor. We packed up our belongings and went out for the day. When we returned, we were assigned a new room, but unfortunately it was also on the 1st floor. The same thing happened, this time it sounded like someone was jumping off the bed. Again the noise was at all hours during the night. We approached the front desk attendant again. They called the people above us and things got quiet for the first night. The same thing occurred over the next two nights. We inquired again and were told they could try to move us but that they didn't have very many rooms with two double beds. Since we had all day tour eservations in San Francisco that day and had to be up at 4 am, we weren't able to move that day. We stayed in the room for the remainder of our vacation.

The hotel was listed as having a restaurant/bar. This didn't exist. I think they converted the restaurant/bar into their breakfast area. There were plenty of good restaurants in Sunnyvale and Mountain View though.

The bottom line is hotels can't control guests. Not everyone is considerate of other people. The management tried to help us by moving us. I only wish they had stuck to their plan and moved us to a second floor room. Overall, the management was very receptive and helpful. We had a loose faucet in our bathtub and it was fixed right away. The staff was very attentive and freindly.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room on the second floor to avoid being able to hear every movement in the room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for so many great comments. I looked into why the staff moved you but didn't but you on the first floor as that is would have made more sense. I found out that there were no rooms with 2 beds on the second room available due to other guest in them. I'm sorry my team did not tell you this as it would have saved you the moving time. They thought the other location might be better for you. I will work with them on being better communicators. I'm also checking all the websites to see where it list we have a bar and restaurant. Our own website doesn't have it listed (as the bar was closed years ago and it never had a restaurant), but other hotel sites might have it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Overall it is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you stay with us again when visiting your son.

Best to you and your family,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I staayed 2 nights at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. It was comfortable,especially the bed, the decor was pleasant and I enjoyed the breakfast. Service from greeting to housekeeping was great.

My only negative comments is that wallls are paper thing. i could hear the neighbor's tv and the footsteps from the people above.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. If you have mobility challenges, ask for a room near entrance.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kati D
It's great to see you were pleasantly surprised by your experience. I'm pleased to see the staff took good care of you during your stay and I'm sorry about the noise. Sometimes the street side rooms do hear the traffic and I'm sorry as that must have been disturbing. I noticed your tip and another one is tell the desk if you need luggage assistance as they will have someone help too!

Thank you for your comments and have a great day.

Nieuwegein, Nederland
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Not a typical 'chain' hotel environment, this hotel has more charm over it. Clean rooms. Good breakfast, it is possible to take a table at the pool enjoying the morning sun. Only thing that disappointed me a bit was the sound isolation of the room, especially that of the room's entrance door. Guest in the hallways and closing of (heavy) iron gates could be heard rather well. Perhaps some simple sound isolation around the door opening and some dampers on the iron gates could alleviate the problem. But overall I had a good stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
I'm sorry the guest and door were so noisy during your stay. Thank you for the feedback and we will take a look at your suggestions. We will do our best to fix it. I'm glad you enjoyed everything else during your stay.

Please come back and visit us soon.

Best,

Robin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
#6 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!