“Motel Converted to a "Hotel"”

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
San Francisco, California
“Motel Converted to a "Hotel"”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Needed an overnight stay in Sunnyvale recently and as there was an event taking up most of the rooms in the area, ended up staying at this place. The rate was fairly high due to the event. I felt I didn't get what I paid for. Though the place was clean and well kept, it gave me the vibe that it was once something similar to a Motel 6 that got "updated." The walls were thin, plantation shutters for the window (no black out curtain to totally block out light), quite a bit of noise from the street, the AC was right below the window and forget about getting a quiet sleep with that thing coming on/off all throughout the night. When all the lights were turned off in the night, you can see light streaming around the door. If you were looking for a well rested night for something important the next day, forget it. The plus side - the staff was courteous, friendly and efficient. The room was furnished with a nice assortment of toiletries, hair dryer, ironing board, iron, flat screen TV, coffee maker, a radio and an ipod player. The free breakfast was adequate. I would not recommend this place unless you have no choice. A better option would be The Plaza Suites in Santa Clara.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from rooms close to the parking and the street. Quite a bit of noise will come thro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank who90046
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I'm sorry the plantation shutters and bottom of the didn't close out the entire light. I know a good nights rest is very important and that can be bothersome. I am pleased that you pretty much enjoyed everything else at the property. It is true we are a unique, boutique property and not very cookie cutter like other hotels. I'm sorry this was not to your liking, I wish we could have done more to make you happy. Thank you for your feedback we appreciate the time you took to share it with others.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A friend made the reservation and I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It is obviously an older property that has had some renovation and refreshing and is now very nice. The rooms are more modern with all you need and mine had a little personal touch with a screen over the bed (for style not use). The internet was good with options to increase the speed and the entire property felt a little like an oasis with the kept grounds and pool area in the centre. The staff were cheerful when I checked in, even through it was late and gave good directions to my room and the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for those seeking something different to the normal chain boxes, something with charm at a good price. The only negative is that some of the rooms seem to have thinnish walls, but this wasn't a drawback for me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kwan_Nyom
I need to thank your friend for make the reservation for you! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, the staff and the amenities. Yes, our goal is to make it seem like you are in an oasis in the middle of Silicon Valley...so happy you like the vibe.

Thanks for sharing,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip and it is quite nice.
It has a nice pool and since it is an all open hotel, it might feel a bit chilly in the winter (all open to reach the bedrooms).

The interior was nice and was my second time there already. On the first time they took care of everything I complained about (AC doing too much noise and shower with no pressure).
All was fully working when I got back from work (new AC unit and shower part replaced).

Bedrooms look cosy and nice.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back are quieter (no main street there with cars doing too much noise).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Filipe G
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello Filipe,

Thank you for your wonderful review and so happy to see the team took great care of you. It can get a little cold here in the winter with the exterior corridors. The good news is we keep the pool heated all year so it's kind of fun! Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments.

Best,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was my 2nd time staying in the Wild Palms. This time I had a pool-viewing room instead of the parking lot, which was an improvement. I really like the decor of the hotel and I'm a big fan of their breakfast. The staff has always been friendly and the hotel and room are clean.

Room Tip: Pool view is much better than the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Josh B
rld9, General Manager at Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Welcome back Josh and thank you for sharing your visit with others. Great tip about the pool view; that and the gazebo views are the best. Thank you again for the lovely review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Take care,

Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I came here for my friends' wedding in the city. The exterior street facade does not do justice for the interior. Rooms are spacious, clean, quite and welcoming. Mini fridge, safe box and free wifi. If you are in the area and need a good deal and a mini vacation or a "staycation" then check in to this hotel. Staff is friendly and will provide you a razor and other necessities if you forgot to pack for your travel.

I would come back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abhikon
Dear Abhikon,

So pleased to see you did not judge a book by its cover! It's great to see that you really enjoyed your experience and thank you for the wonderful review. We think we are a hidden gem too, so thanks for sharing. I hope you had a fantastic time at the wedding and thanks again for the 5 stars.

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Wild Palms Hotel was a nice & economical place to stay in a very expensive area especially on week days. 2 floors-no elevator, but it was not a problem for us. Good breakfast in a nice room. Front desk friendly & helpful with our requests. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mary Ellen Y
Thank you very much for recommending us to others, that is very nice of you. Thanks for the good feedback and we will work hard to get that 5th star!

All the best to you,

Watsonville, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The front entrance was nice, clean and welcoming. Front desk clerk was nice & asked about my drive in. I explained I was going to San Jose Convention Comic Fest. Clerk noted it was about a 12 mins drive to convention. He explained the map, breakfast, room location and hours of pool. My room was very clean and I liked the canopy bed style it felt like a paradise oasis. I was able to plug my iPad into music machine to listen to music on Pandora. The pool area was nice and tropical. The pool furniture was clean and inviting. The private cabanas by pool were classy. Pool was clean and deep 7.5 ft deep great for tall people like me. Yet great for the kids too in the shallow end. Jacuzzi was clean with a great view of
garden pond. Hotel felt safe with doors that open only using card keys. I enjoyed my stay and would return. Highly recommend this great location to stay for business or pleasure. Great for families too.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank JustSuperJack77
Hello JustSupperJack777,

Thank you so much for the 5 stars and excellent comments. I'm glad we could provide you with a piece of paradise in Silicon Valley! I hope you enjoyed the convention and traffic wasn't too hectic. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others.

We hope to see you soon,

Robin Donovan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
Corporate Inn Sunnyvale
#4 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!