“Great Choice for our NCAA Stay”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We were pleased to take advantage of the excellent weekend rates at the Grand Hotel for our recent trip to San Jose and stayed in one of the hotel bungalows for two nights. The hotel staff was very pleasant and professional and the bungalow was comfortable and well-equipped with a small kitchen. We enjoyed the complimentary guest happy hour and very pleased with the nice selection of wine, beer, mixed drinks and appetizers. The complimentary breakfast layout left a bit to be desired (one or two more hot items would have been nice), but it was fine for a quick morning bite. The one thing I would mention about our bungalow, is that it was quite chilly in the evenings and the heater came on during both nights of our stay. It must be an older unit because it was so loud it woke both of us up each time it cycled on. Overall, an excellent stay and just a short distance from the HP Pavillion, we would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Special weekend rate for the bungalow is only $20 more than a regular room rate and well worth havin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights while on business. The rate was competitive, the room was big and comfortable, the bathroom was clean and modern. The breakfast was fresh with a lot of variety, and the service was impeccable. I had full days with transportation arranged so not having additional amenities at the hotel such as a gym were not an issue for me. I'd be happy to stay there again the next time I need to be in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marichan623
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This hotel focuses its attention on the business traveller, and I have nothing but good things to say. I've read some of the more negative reviews, and true, they don't have a gym, but a run in the residential area behind the hotel is beautiful. Car rental within a 5 minute walk, and public transit right outside the door. Free parking. Limo transportation to and from the airport, and to and from work every day that was on time without fail. My room was spotless. My reservation also said "king" and I had a room on the first floor with two queen beds and a window facing the parking lot, but who cares? It's business travel, and a single traveller takes up a tiny space in a king or a queen. It was way more than I needed.
I think their "happy hour" drinks and light snacks from 5-7 is brilliant. Almost everyone is there alone, so it gives opportunity for conversation. I really enjoyed my wine choices, and they had a huge variety of liqueurs and upper end beers.
Every single time I walked in the door the front desk staff looked up and smiled. Genuinely. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel where they smiled at all. Bartender attempted to strike up a conversation with everyone. Friendly.
I didn't hear any outside noise at all while inside my room. Bed was comfy, and it felt like all the bedding and towels were brand new. Dingy room? I couldn't disagree more.
I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank HJEO
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The location of the Grand hotel is pretty good. It's on El Camino Real and it's pretty close to some of the major offices in the SV/MTV/SJC areas. The rooms were bit of a disappointment though. The ambiance was dated, and the room felt pretty dingy. The breakfast was also a bit of a disappointment. It was the standard spread but it was nothing great.
The one thing that stood out was the size of the rooms and the bathrooms. The room was huge and had floor to ceiling glass windows, which I've not seen in too many other hotels. And the bathroom was huge (and had marble flooring).
On the whole, it was a standard business hotel, albeit with a dated style. If you're there for just 2-3 days on business, it might be a good no-frills hotel. But if you're planning a longer visit with family possibly, it might not be the best option.

Room Tip: Do not go for a room on the first floor. Rooms have floor to ceiling glass windows and if you're...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank thegurubase
Jerry L, Director of Sales at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel on your recent visit to Silicon Valley. Thank you, also, for taking the time to review our hotel. You'll be pleased to know that we are currently making final decisions on our new furnishings and a major remodel of the rooms will be underway in the coming months. The new look will be "Grand" both aesthetically and functionally. In the meantime we continue to deliver first class service and amenities and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I had to stay as the client has this as their provider hotel.
Its a mainly business hotel but it has no facility to print.
It has no fitness room - a deal at some local club 1. 5 miles. The better place is Fitness 24 hours. They think free is good. The bar is dire - giving out free mediocre wine
Breakfast is free and mediocre
My room on Floor 4 was big and cold had the hotel air con on the roof vibrating all night - front desk response " yes we know that is a problem "
The area is badly served for hotels - but try others

Room Tip: If you have to stay - go for floor 3 as with 4 you may get the roof A|C
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Don't waste your money here. Our San Francisco based company works in Sunnyvale often for business and every time we've stayed here something has gone with our reservations. I was guaranteed a King room and ended up in a double Queen on the first floor, next to the kitchen and the bar. My window faced into the parking lot where cars were pulling in all night and shining their headlights into my room. HORRIBLE experience. When my colleagues tried to check in, they told them a pipe was broken in his room and they forced them to go to their sister hotel down the street. This is the second time in 6 months that a "pipe broke" in one or more of our rooms and part of our group had to be moved. The front desk staff are completley helpless and un-pleasant to deal with. Their complimentary breakfast in the morning is a joke. Never again will we book rooms here for our team or our clients.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MssAK
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I've stayed at the Grand three separate times for business trips and also booked hotel room blocks for groups. The service has always been excellent and the rooms are larger than the usual hotel. The bathroom is large and I had a stall shower and super large bathtub. Double sinks and lots of counter space to lay out my toiletries. The amenities were very nice and restocked daily.

My room had a desk AND a table with chairs on which the self-serve coffee maker was located. There was a wet-bar and fridge.

The room had a large flat-screen TV, there was a full size sofa and coffee table along with my king-size bed.

Their breakfast is excellent. Each day they serve hot eggs, some kind of breakfast meat, and potatoes of some variety. Then they have a selection of cold cereals, fresh fruit cut up (strawberries, melons, citrus, berries), cottage cheese, three types of breads with a toaster on the buffet table. They have muffins, bagels and a waffle iron in which you can make fresh waffles. There are pots of coffee to drink on site or to take for the road. This breakfast is as good as any all-you-can-eat buffet.

The lobby is spacious and the front desk employees were helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Sunnyvale/San Jose area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Maple Tree Inn
#6 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!