“Grand Boutique Hotel”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It is funny to have a boutique hotel that is named "The Grand", but it deserves the name. Rooms were huge, with a king bed, couch, desk, etc. Bathroom was as large as some hotel rooms I've stayed in, with both a bathtub, large shower, and two sinks. Wow.

And it really is a boutique hotel. Even though it is a four story building, rooms are only on the top two floors and there aren't all that many of them.

Breakfast was good. Lots of little amenities. Internet service was good.

My only nit was that my room was listed as a "suite", but was really one large room (not multiple rooms like a separate bedroom and living area, as per the definition in Wikipedia), However, that somewhat misleading practice seems to be becoming more common.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

998 - 1,004 of 1,081 reviews

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel really reserves its name. Main entrance is really cool and lobby area is place where you feel comfortable. Rooms are very big. Maybe even too big with those furnitures. Breakfast is really nice and most important this is daily happy hour where you can eat snacks and have some bears. I would visit it again if I visit Sunnyvale.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jiiteejiikoo
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have just got back from 2 stays in Sunnyvale and the 'Grand Hotel' was an absolute pleasure to stay in. Rooms are huge, staff friendly, adequate breakfast, good location and solid business hotel. As mentioned in some other reviews the wifi is patchy but adequate for emails. House keeping are very enthusiastic to clean up my room but i guess thats a knock on from this being a business centric hotel. I have stayed here 3 times on my last 3 trips and will definitely be using again, probably the best hotel in the area for the price.

Room Tip: Bungalow around the back
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Philip D
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel in Sunnyvale, CA for a business trip for 6 days. I stayed in one of their Bungalow Rooms which are actually separate from the main building of the hotel. The room was very big and was more like a 1 bedroom apartment with a complete kitchen and large bath. The tile in the bathroom was cracked in several places, the TV in the main sitting area did not work and the TV in the bedroom's color was so bad everyone looked as if they had a sunburn. The heating system in the room was either feast or famine. It was either 75 or 55 and did not seem to hold a temperature. The WiFi in the room was free but, useless (and heard the same from others travelling with me staying at the same hotel). You'd think a hotel in the heart of Silicon Valley might have decent WiFi but, the connections were spotty and slow at best. In fairness to the hotel, I did not report these issues to the front desk as I spent so little time in the room.

The hotel did offer a very good breakfast buffet in the morning with many options. The staff was helpful and friendly.

I have stayed in the main part of the hotel before and had a much better experience with the room but, overall I would recommend this hotel but, would probably prefer to stay in the main part of the hotel rather than in a "bungalow" room. Hopefully they can fix the WiFi.

Room Tip: I would avoid the Bungalow Rooms and try to get into the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WaltNV
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Sunnyvale for two nights and it was really nice. The room was spacious and clean. However, they still came in to clean up the room even I followed the instructions and inserted the "privacy please" tag into the door key slot. That's not a big deal though. I'd like to stay there again if I have the chance to visit around that area in the future.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013

When you hear a hotel is called "The Grand" and you've never heard of it before, what do you think? It's a joke, right? This is a business class hotel, and for the most part, it lived up to it's name. Checking in was smooth and quick and finding my room was easy. Parking was right outside my room, also, which is a bonus. (Although it appears if you are upstairs in a bungalow suite, you'll have to manually schlepp your gear up the stairs -- something to make a note of for the future.) My organization negotiates the bungalow suites and oh my! Those one bedroom suites are really spacious (you could have a dance party in the bathroom, for goodness sake). A lovely king bed was quite comfy, a large living room with two chairs flanking a fireplace, a small table in the kitchen preset for dinner for two... Lovely! The robe and exercise equipment in the room was a nice surprise (I'll have to remember I can work on my Pilates when I visit next and bring some workout wear). The grounds appeared to be well groomed, and the spa (hot tub) looked inviting (note to self: bring a bathing suit next time!).

There is a happy hour every evening and although the complementary appetizers are not geared towards vegetarians, there appears to be enough to eat for a meal for those who do eat meat. Breakfast appeared to be sufficient for those meat eaters, also. There is a half kitchen in the suites (stove, no oven). The only slight ding I would give the room is the desk is in the darkest corner of the bedroom (at least in my room). The full service bar is open until 11pm (although the comp'd happy hour ends early) and Dave is friendly and on top of the service.

The location of the hotel is central to both downtown Mountain View (Castro Street) and downtown Sunnyvale, so you have many choices for dining options. Apparently there is room service to some extent, although I didn't investigate the options so I can't comment on the options or value.

Everyone with whom I spoke was helpful and considerate, so I give the staff extra points. They even took care of a minor issue with the bill (I was accidentally billed for items I didn't use in the mini bar).

Based on my experience with many different hotels in this area, I'd say this hotel is one of the better business hotels, and a definite go-back. In fact, The Grand is now added to my list of preferred hotels in the area (there are only a few on this list, so that's a definite compliment for them!).

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the high rise building, but I heard that the size of the standard room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just got back from a weekend stay for a wedding in Palo Alto. Location is convenient, right on Camino Real. The Grand's limo is parked outside, offering a classy way to get around if you are so inclined.

We checked-in late at night, and the night manager thoughtfully changed our room from one facing the noisy highway to one with a courtyard view of the pool. Pretty standard check-in except for the waiver of liability for the exercise equipment in the room (an exercise ball and resistance bands). Unexpected, but not a big deal.

Our room was on the 4th floor, spacious and clean. Enough space for a sitting area with loveseat, chair, and coffee table. Also had a work desk, small dining table with 2 chairs, and a dresser with the TV. Also, a bar area with sink and mini-fridge. The bathroom looked renovated with granite counters and marble tiles, though the decor style throughout the room (wallpaper, upholstery, and furniture) was on the traditional side. My only complaint with the room would be the mattress - it is extremely soft with a pillowtop mattress pad adding another layer of softness. I felt like I was sinking in with no support. My husband requested a different room after I left, and said it was moderately better.

Bathroom was also spacious, with double sink vanity and both a tub and separate walk-in shower. Plenty of towels. Hairdryer on the wall. Toiletries were classy -- I particularly appreciated the make-up remover, which is an uncommon amenity. My only suggestion would be a larger or multiple bathmats.

Breakfast was plentiful, clean, and well-maintained. Hot food was eggs, English muffins, and make-you-own waffles. Cold food was cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruits. Baked goods included bagels, croissants, muffins. I liked that they provided both metal and plastic silverware -- I was able to take my yogurt to go. They also have happy hour, but we did not partake.

Overall experience was pleasant. I would return again but would request a firm mattress next time.

Room Tip: Room facing the interior courtyard/pool are quieter than those facing the road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJ912001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Cupertino Hotel
Larkspur Landing Sunnyvale
Larkspur Landing Sunnyvale
#10 of 33 in Sunnyvale
Hotel Avante, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!