“home away from away”

Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
california
“home away from away”
Reviewed 24 August 2007

All the amenities are there, including corkscrew. Plenty of towels and the extra pillow always comes in handy. Was able to check out late without difficulty. Conveniently located, there is a 24 hour Safeway and a couple of restaurants. The staff was friendly. Overall, very handy and a great find in the bay area.

• Liked — great location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Austin, TX
Reviewed 18 October 2006

This is not a hotel. This is an apartment complex that apparently rents out studio apartments as hotel rooms. My internet didn't work, no phone at the desk, dismal water pressure. Step up three flights of stairs to get to a long hallway...looks like a hostel. Old and musty...and so was the manager. Not very helpful. I got out as soon as I could the next morning.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Samdaustin

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

Montreal
Reviewed 18 August 2006

First, let me apologize for all language related error in this review as english is not my first language.
We stayed at St Francis from July 31st through august 12th. A previous reviewer said that this was not a hotel. He was right, it's better.
First let me tell you why we chose the St Francis Arms. My friend and I were travelling on a budget. My friend was competing in the FINA Masters World Championships held at Stanford University. She was very concerned about what she would eat during the days of the competition so we were looking for a motel with a kitchenette. Then I found the St Francis Arms through Expedia. The site described the room as a suite with a full kitchen. To be expecting a suite like at the Sheraton or the Marriot I would've been disapointed. It is not a suite as much as a basic apartment. The decor is simple but the room is clean. There's a refrigerator (full size), a stove, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. We found pots and pans and kitchen utensils in the cupboards, so we were able to cook almost all of our meals like we do at home (there's a Safeway (supermarket) right next door). We had the junior suite (1 bedroom) and didn't feel closed in at all. We had a balcony facing the pool which is not ideal if you want peace and quiet, especially around dinner time as the people who reside there year 'round go play with their children. The one thing I had to complain about is that the pool is not heated even if it says it is on their website.
I used the workout room 4 times while I was there. It is very basic but I was able to do a complete workout anyway. There's a bicycle, an elliptical machine, a treadmill, two stairmasters and a station where you can lift some weight. There is no free weight.
All in all, if you are looking for an affordable place to stay, where you can feel a little bit more home, the St Francis Arms is a place you'll like. If you're looking for a foor-star suite with all the amenities, you won't like it.

1 Thank 11kirby
Nevada
Reviewed 10 August 2006

Loved my stay at St. Francis. Same price as Days Inn but much much nicer. We had our own apartment, continental breakfast, close to so many things, quiet and clean. Would like to find more of these types of accomodations. Apart. was hard to find initially with directions from front desk but it was a great stay. I would recommend to everyone.

Stayed August 2006
washington, d.c.
Reviewed 27 July 2006

Lost a necklace during my trip and when I called to follow-up to see if maidservice had found it no one got back to me. When I called for the second time front desk person was rude and defensive.

Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2006

The room was hot and smelled of mold or mildew when we arrived. It looked like a studio apartment from the 70's that has never been updated with popcorn ceilings and low sinks in the bathroom and dirty white walls. The carpet looked dirty as did the blinds, walls, etc. The a/c unit was so outdated - it took hours to cool off the room. The bed was only a full. Would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2006

There internet is not reliable for the business people as it went down almost every day in the last week of the month. I understand it failing once in awhile however daily, I be getting a new server. Seem office persons didn't understand when I called to report the down service, they reported my shower out of order! Other wise every thing else was very clean and nice.

• Stayed April 2006