“Great no frills place to sleep”

Motel 6 Sunnyvale North
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
seattle, wa
“Great no frills place to sleep”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were looking for a place to stop over on our west coast college tour. Toured 2 schools in SF and needed a place to sleep that night before heading down to the south bay. Best rates you'll find in Silicon Valley. Don't expect butler service. We liked that there were wood floors to minimize on hidden dirt and pet hair. Ikea-like furnishings. Neighborhood is fine, just a few people that look like residents. When we were unloading the car a few guys were hanging out in the lot glaring at us. Not the hotel's fault. Just keep your curtains closed since people have to walk by your room to get to theirs. Bath, washroom and beds were clean. Even had a fridge and microwave. Courteous front desk. Would stay again if budget is a concern.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor to cut down on foot traffic by your room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank postaltravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in a single room w/the fridge on a bottom floor facing the pool. I was very happy with the place, considering the price and it being a last minute booking. Clean and neat. Staff were VERY helpful. I asked for a late check-out (which is an option they don't normally have) and they were very accommodating with my schedule. I had my dog with me, and that was no extra charge. However, you do have to pay for internet ($2.99/day) It's a Motel 6, so can't really give it 5 stars. Bring your shampoo and your hair dryer. But I was very satisfied. Cheap and clean and great, cheerful service. I couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AH_travel2
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Certainly, the real estate in this part of California makes it difficult to find hotels that are easy on the budget. I booked this room based on the excellent reviews and was pretty disappointed. The first problem I had at check in - I asked for a room that I could park beside. I was told the hotel had no rooms like that. This is not the case. They do have some rooms facing outside. Perhaps the ESL clerk was trying to tell me these room were full, I can not be sure. I tried my best to understand him. He offered me a room on the second floor, so I asked if there was an elevator and thought he said "no." We looked at the room on the first floor, right next to the pool, and three people were walking there dogs and the room had an unplesant odor. We asked for the room on the second floor. Like the first, it was very small, no place to put luggage except for on the floor, and nowhere on the floor to make it easy to walk through to the bathroom. It turns out the place does have an elevator after all. I suppose if you speak the right dialect of whatever this cleak speaks, you will have a less frustrating experience here. And just so you know, yes, the walls are rather thin. Our neighbors decided to indulge in some afternoon delight and it was as if we had front row seats. It almast seemed as if the sound had been piped in! Thank goodness it was a short performance.

Air conditioning: each room has its own unit, and ours did not have a knob for temperature control the first night. We made inquiry at the office and a knob was provided (without apology) for the second night.

Internet: The hotel charges $4/day for "high speed" WIFI internet access. Speedtest.net rated my connection at .2MB/S with a very long ping. I called the desk and they told me it gets slow when it is busy. They gave me a tech support line to call if I wanted. Tech support told me that only one device is supported per password connection (I travel with multiple wifi devices and was disappointed by this, but wait, it gets better). At that time I had only connected my tablet pc. The tech support fellow told me that I needed to disconnect my android device before I could get good speeds on the tablet. After about 45 minutes of going around and trying to convince the fellow that it was not my android device that was connected, the guy checked the login and found that the android device had been connected several hours before I had checked into the room! I called the front desk and the ESL clerk told me that it was impossible to have gotten a used password. Ugh. I asked for a refund and the guy gave it to me, and another password, which did not yield any better speed. If you need high speed internet, do not stay here.

Other than that, our stay was unremarable. I believe the staff made some effort to accomodate, but the problems are systemic. Even considering the location, for the price, this place was way overrated. It should be 3 stars on TA, not 4. I suspect the hotel mgmt pads the ratings here to drive business in the door.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benjamin B

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

California
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was at a convention, paying for myself, and so I needed a cheap place to sleep that was basically clean. Motel 6 Sunnyvale North fit that perfectly. I checked in late (around midnight) and a clerk was there and checked my in no fuss. (Even Motel 6 has card keys now...). The bed was decent, the bathroom was clean and the shower worked. There was a TV with local channels.
It was $71 instead of $300 that the convention hotel was charging and it was a 5 minute drive away. I left at 7am the next day to go back to the convention. If what you want is a cheap, clean place to sleep, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chrisfs
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

On my way through CA i decided to stop in San Jose for one night. However when i saw the prices i decided i could stay in Sunnyvale as well :-). So based on the reviews i chose this particular motel. And wasn't really happy. First of all the room didn't seem clean - there were footprints on the carpet. The TV was as old as i am and i'm not really young anymore. There was no fridge or microwave or hairdryer for that matter. No shampoo etc. Virtually nothing. Internet costs extra and isn't really fast. Fortunatelly i had to stay only one night there. If you need to save money, it could be an option, since it is so expensive anywhere around the area. And they are also renovating, so it might get better in the future. Just don't forget to bring everything with you (including shampoo)!!!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank tonibulg
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I wrote a 4 star review on this place last summer. I had a couple of complaints that I reported to customer service via the Motel 6 web site. One issue was very slow internet access that was continuously dropping. The other complaint was every time the washing machine in the laundry room emptied, the water went on the floor. I don't complain about problems that don't exist. Customer Service at Motel 6 sent me a voucher for a free night stay. So, I am back in the area this week and I had a confirmed reservation for tonight guaranteed by my credit card. Upon arrival I was told I could no longer stay at this location as I was "blocked".. I will have a discussion with the manager when he gets in tomorrow morning, but this is outrageous. Blocking someone from a location simply because they had valid complaints?

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mrtravel-gmail
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Pros: cheap, clean, everything in working order (A/C, nice bed, etc), nice staff.
Cons: internet is slow, sound isolation is kinda poor, my linens were never changed in a week (probably would have if I complained, but I didn't care - I change them much less often at home :))

Room Tip: Upper floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo