“Scruffy hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Sunnyvale - Silicon Valley
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I were due to stay here for 4 nights whilst visiting family in Sunnyvale. Although our bed linen was clean, the rest of our room was very scruffy with an unpleasant drain smell from the bathroom. We felt very uncomfortable in this hotel and moved after two nights

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian B

Reviewed 7 May 2014

It was quiet and looked okay except for what looked like lack mold on tub and shower ceiling. I mentioned it twice to staff during my 7 day stay but no one ever addressed it or even wiped it up as it was still there the day I left. They also never fixed the bathroom light which was flicking on and off and was mostly off even though I told them about it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank elizjesse
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Average hotel...here for work and literally everything was booked. I will say they have very nice staff and they seem to try. We got here and our room smelled like smoke. We went back to the front desk and it was fixed immediately. He even walked us to the front desk to make sure we were okay with it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Needed to charge phone and e-books, also to use laptop and wife's CPAC machine. Had to unplug all the lights since the room had limited outlets. Also unplug hairdryer to put phones in bathroom. Regarding the bathroom - the toilet paper holder is 47" from the toilet - arms are not that long - bathtub unsat!. Mattress was very lumpy. Room needs to be remodeled. Breakfast bacon, bacon, bacon and if you can wait you can make a waffle - if line not too long. In general an old motel that needs work.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Room & bath look OK at a first glance: in a good condition overall (other than a door lock that was assembled the opposite way...), breakfast is decent & staff very nice.
The issue is the smell... had an extremely strong (choking) smell of mold.
You will enjoy this hotel, as long as you have no sense of smell.
If your nose does work properly, I'd suggest you look for an alternative location, as the very strong smell of mold will choke you (and that's after changing my room to a "less smelly" one...
Other issues: Need to be a weightlifter to be able to open & close the window; No laundry machine available

Room Tip: If your olfaction (smell sense) does work properly, I'd suggest you look for an alternative loca...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Traveling on business, my client booked me into the Sunnyvale Comfort Inn. For this chain, this is NOT one of the better properties in which I have stayed. Not overly clean, either in the common areas or rooms, but neither was it so bad that I opted out of staying - dingy rather than filthy...
Nice "office" area in the room. Good bed. Front desk staff was consistently vapid, regardless of the shift. Suggest taking the stairs - elevator made some rather alarming noises. It was an adequate place to stay on business, but I would certainly try another venue for the money - suspect one can do better...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here after the problems with motel 6, when I called to ask about reservations, the person on the line gave us a great price after telling him we were in town for a funeral. We asked if we could bring our suitcases by around 11 AM and leave it at front desk as we needed to be at the funeral home for finale plans. When we arrived, they had the room ready. Did not charge us ahead of time for all nights stayed.

Breakfast was OK, we found the bacon a little under cooked, but stuck it in the micro and got it to our liking. Fresh fruit and waffles along with hard boiled eggs and some pastries and cereal was a great start to our morning. Made for our cost a little less for the day also. The bed was fine, the pillows were small little cubes and not really big enough for the bed.

We accidentally left our phone charger head on the base and they state they could not find it. Our loss the housekeepers gain. That is the only criticize I have other then the bed. They have recently remodeled so the pictures shown by another traveler are incorrect. The place was clean and well cared for, at the least the room we stayed in was.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor if you can, you won't hear the pitter patter of footsteps.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends