“Small Rooms”

TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Reasonable value, but tough with 2 or more in the room. The bathroom door interferes with one side of the bed. If you use the sofa bed, then little room between the two beds. The bathroom is for only one at a time. The breakfast has nothing hit to eat other than microwaving oatmeal. The small refrig didn't not have anything cold on the second day we were there. It was stocked, but must have only been filled recently. I would stay here again only if it was the cheapest Marriott in the area. There is good parking under the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This Towne Place Suites feels too small for its own good.
The parking spaces outside are all labeled compact cars only (but filled with SUVs), the lobby is small, and the breakfast area has barely any seating.
The rooms were adequate but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kim J J, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Ghost,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide every guest with the best possible stay and in this case it looks like we let you down. For that, I sincerely apologize.

Please know, there is additinal parking under the hotel. The downstairs parking garage has larger spots for better convenience.

We agree the breakfast space is a bit small and we want you to know that we are renovating the area this year. We will have a very large breakfast room with plenty of seating and counter space to accomodate the fast and ever growing market here in Silicon Valley. We're very excited about the upcoming change!

Happy traveling,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here last night in a studio room. We went to Shoreline to see Santana and didn't want to drive an hour home late at night after the show. Our room was one of the studios, a hotel room with a small couch, coffee table, small queen bed, TV, small desk area, and kitchen with a dishwasher, full sized fridge, and cook top. All kitchen supplies are provided.

Before the show, we had guests over for a bottle of wine and snacks we'd brought from home. It was nice to have wine glasses, a cork screw, and a serving platter to place our snacks. Our guests sat on the small couch, one of us sat on the desk chair and I sat on the bed.

After the show we returned to the hotel around 12:30am, and parked in the underground garage. An elevator takes you from the garage to your floor. You need your key to operate the elevator from the garage. All was quiet, we whispered in the hall, as it was sooo quiet. Our room was on the 3rd floor. We heard no one above or next to us during our stay.

Unfortunately the reason I gave this a 3 star rating is the size of the bed. It's a queen however it feels like a small queen. My husband and I kept waking each other up by rolling into each other. Also the air con unit is under the window. It kept going on and making us cold, then going off and I would get too warm and wake up with the covers kicked off. This went on all night. Therefore neither of us got the greatest nights sleep.

Continental breakfast is served downstairs from 7-9am during the week. We were up at 8:30 and down there shortly thereafter to get breakfast before it closed. There was coffee, juices, milk, yoghurts, muffins, bread, bagels, cereal, apples/oranges, and hard boiled eggs. Everything is clean and wrapped. I was impressed by this, individually wrapped bread! If you wanted something hot, you could always make it in your room on your cook top.

The staff is young and friendly.
The rooms are clean.
There is a small gym. No pool
There are many restaurants nearby and a Safeway across the street.

I highly recommend the room I had for anyone who is working in the area for a long term stay, one person only. As a woman I felt safe.

It was fine for one night for the 2 of us. However, I wouldn't stay there again because of the poor nights sleep we had with the small bed and the situation with the air con.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kim J J, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello SFOF/A!!

I truly enjoyed reading your review! We're so glad you chose us for your stay while visiting Sunnyvale to see Santana at the Shoreline! I'm sure it was a GREAT concert!

I was happy to read that we provided the exemplarary service you expected as well as a nice breakfast for your morning after the concert! Yes, we just added the wine glasses in the rooms. It was wonderful hearing they came in good use during your stay. I will be sharing your positive comments with the entire staff!

I was sorry to hear that you did not get a good night's rest while here. I apologize for the inconvenience that must have caused. As a follow up, I measured our beds. They are the typical 60" x 80". Maybe the bed was softer, hence the rolling? No matter, we again apologize that your sleep was disruptive.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the air conditioner. We agree that the personal temperature units in each room tend to be louder than your average central air conditioners. Please know, if the unit was cycling on and off, your personal thermostat was set to "Auto." If we have the pleasure of your return, please know you have a few options. Like yours did, in "Auto" position, the unit will cycle on and off keeping the room at the temperature you've set it at. If you set it in the "On" position, the unit will stay on continuously with no cycling, also keeping the room at the temperature you've set.

Myself and the team very much hope we have the opportuity to serve you again. We really do appreciate the energy and the detail you've provided in your feedback and we'd enjoy the opportunity to "up our game" during a future visit!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I made a reservation at this hotel significantly in advance. Never was I told the room I was given should really be a supply closet. I was awakened in the early AM by a very loud mechanical sound. It alarmed me sufficiently that I got up and searched around to see if something was broken. Having found nothing, I decided to return to bed, but was periodically awakened by the same noise.

When I checked out that morning, I mentioned the problem to the front desk clerk. Without me saying more than a few words he immediately acknowledged the problem was real, there was nothing they could do about, told me that they had been "sold out" the night before and forced to use this room, and offered a 50% discount. I appreciated his attempt at a diving catch, but unfortunately his explanations only made me feel worse (on top of being tired due to poor sleep). He offered me the manager's card. Two calls to her number were never returned, despite being explicit in my voice message about the problem.

As a Marriott Rewards member I don't expect perfection in every experience, but I expect more than this as a basic quality of service. The only explanation for this kind of thing is owner avarice - the opposite of customer orientation. I am not giving a Terrible rating only because the front desk staff I met at checkin and checkout were very pleasant and helpful, and it was very clean. This room should be retired from service and never rented again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank hilltopwatch
Kim J J, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear hilltopwatch,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel.

We apologize about the noise you experienced during your last stay with us. I will be sharing your comments with our management and front desk staff. While you mention you left voicemails, I personally did not receive the calls. Please call me directly to discuss the experience in detail. I would enjoy the opportunity to talk with you.

Thank you also for the very positive comments about our staff. They are the best in the industry.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My experience was good. Upon arriving I was greeted by a very friendly staff and throughout my whole stay everyone was friendly. The room was neatly organized but there are some portions of the room that needed some dusting as I did find dust on the back of the arm chair. The breakfast is pretty basic as well consisting of the basics don't expect to find eggs and waffles in the morning. But on the bright side there's a Safeway down the street with pans available in the rooms you can just make your own waffles and eggs in the morning. Overall it was a good stay and I would recommend for a short stay.

Room Tip: I think most people would agree that the high floor rooms are the better ones to choose as you won...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Kim J J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Timmyte93,

Thank you for taking the time to right a review about our hotel. I am very happy that we met your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our staff. I am happy that your stay was enjoyable though we don't serve those yummy waffles you wanted for breakfast, I appreciate the positive comments. If I can be of further assistance in the future please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room/suite was comfortable, clean and it had everything we needed during our stay. The hair dryer could use an upgrade. The hotel is within a 20 minute drive or so, to downtown San Jose and Palo Alto (without traffic). There's underground parking available, which is nice. No pool and small gym, but they do offer complimentary pass(es) to a Gold's Gym nearby. Just ask for it at the front desk and they are more than happy to give them away. The free continental breakfast was just ok, they didn't have a whole lot of selection (but it is free). Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kim J J, Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Marriott for your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you were so impressed with our staff, as we take great pride in providing exceptional service to our guests. We also appreciate your compliments on our wonderful property and convenient location. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I usually never take the time to write reviews, but after staying here last week I've decided I must. The personnel here are just rude. The rooms are fine, and seem clean but the service was terrible. Convenient access to mountain view and sunnyvale. Safe area to walk around and easy parking. I would stay here again if it were not for their staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Kim J J, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear georgeyates,

First and foremost, we apologize. It's extremely disappointing to hear of the poor service you described in your review and we regret not having the opportunity to make this right during your stay. These details are certainly not our standard practices and we are sorry that we failed to provide you with the level of quality that you deserve. It's valued feedback such as yours that allows us to follow up, evaluate the details and identify where improvements are necessary to ensure this remains an isolated incident. Thank you for bringing your stay to our attention. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Kind Regards,

Kim Johnson, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
The Grand Hotel
#11 of 18 in Mountain View
Hotel Vue
Hotel Vue
#6 of 18 in Mountain View

Been to TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View? Share your experiences!