“Bittersweet Experience: Server Was Excellent, Though” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pezzellas Villa Napoli

Pezzellas Villa Napoli
Reserve with OpenTable
Pezzellas Villa Napoli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 374 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Pacific NW (USA)
“Bittersweet Experience: Server Was Excellent, Though”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

First, the positives. With two quite small children amongst us, at our request, we were seated on the outside patio. It was perfect - a pleasantly warm evening, we were the only diners out there, and the waitress was exceptional. She is a "veteran" at this restaurant, well-known and highly regarded by local residents [of whom my son and his family who live in Mt. View are included]. I am sorry that Ihave misplaced her name; her goal was our pleasure and the childrens' comfort level. Everything for which she was responsible was expertly and most genially attended. Then came the food: In the way of starters: The calamari was fresh but badly fried; the breading was soggy - not a hint of crispness anywhere, and dish itself was oddly bland. Tasteless, actually. Entrees: It took a LONG time! To her credit, the server took care of the children in a timely fashion; their dishes were simple pasta and soup. One of the adults had a steak that was ordered medium and appeared on the rarer side of MR. We had waited so long for the order that she chose not to pursue it with the kitchen, ate little, but took the meat home to be fixed for next-day's leftovers. At the server's suggestion I ordered one of the daily specials, Osso Bucco. I like this dish muchy and, order it whenever it is on the menu and recommended [one of only a few miscues by our server]. It was a serious disappointment: The dish was as bland as the starter, not sufficiently warmed when served, and gravy/au jus was,sadly, greasy. In placing my order I indicated perhaps a salad following the entree. Without asking, another server altogether brought the salad before the request was made. As it was, I had decided not to order the salad. That server, when informed of that, simply nodded and walked away, sans salad. When the table was cleared the salad went along and -- of course -- it appeared as an entry on the bill. The other server came to collect the check and I pointed out the error. Some words were exchanged, but ultimately it was removed. Finally, the recommended red wine was a serious disappointment, and way overpriced [my fault - I didn't ask the bottle's price when negotiating]. By the time we were finished with all of this, we all wanted out. Pronto. I thanked our server for her fine service, mentioned that I was disappointed on the meal itself, and we departed. In passing through the dining room on our exit, some of our experiences were more understandable: a large and boisterous table full of loud diners dominated the room. I saw no other diners but this group of probably several dozen folks celebrating something. They were keeping the staff busy -- including the competent server that tended us outside! OK - I'll chalk it up as a bad evening for them for these reasons. But, it was overall a bad evening for us. I will not return. though my son, who knows the place from previous meals there, insists we had an unusual poor experience. I'll take his word for it.

• Visited August 2013

Sunnyvale, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pasta to die for!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

So Italian I felt I was actually in Italy...so loved it. The hostess, waitress and servers were all excellent. Could not have made us feel more welcome or special. Has been in the same area for over 50 years.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ctrebaskets
Cumming, G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Family Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I had 2 business dinners here on my trip. Two nights in a row. Very Good Menu, Excellent Wine List, Great Service and very friendly staff... I plan to go back on my next trip...

Visited May 2013
Laguna Beach, California, United States
“Best Italian Food ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

LOVE their food, friendly staff and location We always go there when in the Bay Area. Its authentic Italian owned by the same family for many, many years.

Visited February 2013
Weston, Florida
“Best Italian food in Sunnyvale!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Italian hubby truly loved the food here! He ranked it perfect as was selection of vino. Great location and parking with fab service! Pasta Pomodoro down the road is good for lunch but this is dinner divine!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles