“Ethnic food yum”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2013

So my friends and I are on a mission to try out ethnic food every week, and it happened to be Afghan food this week. To be honest, I'm not extremely familiar with middle eastern food (unless you count food trucks in NYC) but hey it was pretty good.

Appetiser:
Mantu - Reminded me a lot of Chinese dumplings except that they are filled with lamb instead of pork. I enjoyed this quite a bit. Thumbs up!

Sambosa - Reminds me alot of samosa. Even the name sounds similar? Ok.

Entree:

Kabul's combination kebab - I ordered the beef and chicken (since everyone else on my table was having a lamb dish). The chicken was super tender and tasty. Loved it. The beef however, was way too tough (despite it being medium) and it made my jaw ache just from chewing it :( Boo. Would recommend this, but maybe get the lamb instead of beef!

Badenjan Challaw, Sabsi Challaw, Mater Challaw - Basically all three dishes are chunks of lamb cooked with eggplant, fresh spinach and sweet green peas respectively. The lamb meat for all 3 were super tender and soft and the dish reminded me a lot like lamb stew, but with different vegetables. Of the three, I enjoyed the spinach one best.

Dessert:

Baklava - A little too sweet

Goush-e-feel - The menu said "fried pastry in the shape of elephant's ear" so we got curious and wanted to see what it looked like. We were surprised to find that it was a pretty large dessert (well, Elephant's ear so we probably should have guessed). I liked this quite a bit with the sugar dusting, but wish the pastry was a little crispier.

Overall, food was pretty good and service was great.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I love this restaurant! The kabobs, especially the lamb chop or lamb chunks are delicious! The chicken and shrimp kabobs are great too. Rice is always perfect and it comes with salad with a fabulous yogurt dressing. For sides, I ALWAYS get the pumpkin. On Sunday, we went with 6 other people . The sides carried, the spinach was delicious as was the cauliflower. Desserts are great too. My only criticism, if one could call it that is that the bar only serves beer and wine. It would be nice to get a mixed drink before dinner.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Had a great meal, with good service, large portions and really delicious food. The pumpkin was fantastic!
A good representation of the culture.
Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was the first time i have eaten at an Afghan restaurant and it was an all around great experience. Friendly attentive service staff who really took an interest in making sure I got what I would like and enjoyed it. The food was excellent as well, I tried an appetizer, lamb entree and hot pepper soup, all of which were incredibly flavorful. I definitely recommend trying this place out when you're in town.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a place you must dine in. The atmosphere, the music, the elegance of the waiters, the aromas from the food. We each ordered something different and tasted each other's food. There were 3 of us as we were celebrating our son's birthday. Never having eaten Afghani food before, we found it absolutely delicious. So flavorful and aromatic! Next time we are in Sunnyvale we will definitely dine here again.