“Elegant hole in the wall, exceptional food, great service, good ambiance”

Kabul Afghan Cuisine
Ranked #4 of 398 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My second wife and I use Entertainment.com and Restaurant.com coupons and other discount coupons every chance we get -one of the legacies of my first wife -me always married to a coupon lady!

However Kabul doesn't have discount coupons, and they aren't any good on holidays anyways. We always go to Kabul on major holidays, especially Valentine's night, just like we've been going every Valentine's day for the past 10 years, as it is easy to get reservations for 2.

The place is in a small strip mall behind Jack in the Box, not visible from El Camino Real, a hole in the wall. But enter through the draped front door, and a brilliant burgundy carpet awaits you, awash with gold stars. Tables of white table cloth and candle lighted elegance bekon. On the walls classic icons of the old country -the Time/Life picture of the refugee girl with the haunted eyes, and a replica of the 165 foot tall Afghanistan twin Buddha statues of 1700, blown up by the Taliban in 2001.

A salad comes as first course, with white yogurt dressing on a iceberg lettuce dish -it tastes like ranch dressing -with cucumber, tomato, and ground pepper.

The wife gets the $18 combination kabab chicken and lamb dish, as she likes her lamb on the rare side. It comes with onion, pepper, and tomato on two 18" skewers, one chicken, one rare lamb. Long enough for sword fighting! Take that! The skewers are so long that the waiter comes around to help customers remove the tools -don't want anyone getting poked by some kid playing around, or my first wife taking a poke at me under the table you know where!

I get the $16 gulpi challow dish of beef, large strips of cauliflower, tomatoes sauce with onions, garlic spices in a rice base. 4 large chunks of beef, to satisfy any meat lovers appetite. Chicken, lamb and beef are deliciously fresh -freshly skewered!

The waiter had brushed off a fork, when showing guests their table -a 12 year old kid, demonstrated quick agility skills in getting down on all fours, and crawled around to pick up the fork, and put it on the table in about 6 seconds, for his mother to use! The waiter was grateful that it was not he who had crawl down to get the fork under the table, and thanked the boy, replacing the fork, and probably telling him to come back when he was 18 if he was looking for a job!

We get out of there for $46, including wine, tip and tax, in about an hours time on Valentine's evening. We will be back next Valentine's evening -at least I will, hopefully not with a third wife!

Kabul is scheduled to move in 2015 to behind the Broadcom building in downtown Sunnyvale, about half a mile away.

2  Thank robert c

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My friend told me about this place - I believe there's another location farther up the Peninsula. It was fantastic. If you've never had Afghan food, give it a try!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

For a small restaurant in the back of a strip mall, this place was incredibly good. It would have been a good restaurant no matter what the location, as a matter of fact. Neither my husband nor I had ever had Afghan food, although we love Middle Eastern and Indian food. This has characteristics of both, with its own great twists.

Instead of going with kebabs, which I love but aren't new to me, I ordered this:

BADENJAN CHALLAW
Chunks of beef and eggplant cooked with tomatoes, onion and garlic, served with challaw (challaw is fluffy, white, long-grain rice). This came with a fresh green salad dressed with a yoghurt/lemon mixture, and Afghan bread. All wonderful. My husband had the following, and raved about it:

Same salad as mine, and

Mantu
Dumplings filled with ground lamb and chickpeas.

Aush
Noodles, vegetables, and yogurt soup topped with meat sauce, sprinkled with dill.

Crisp white linen tablecloths, comfortable chairs, and fast, courteous service. We couldn't imagine a nicer experience.

2  Thank M M
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Have eaten here for years. Time to write them the top review that they deserve. The kebabs are large, well flavored, and perfectly cooked. My favorites are lamb, chicken, or shrimp. Great for an intimate dinner, but they can handle a group just fine. Small venue, however they seem to keep the room flowing with plenty of servers. Appetizers are tasty, but make sure to save room for the entree. Reservations highly recommended, but not required if you are in a pinch. Entrees $15-$20 including a salad/bread. Appetizers ~$5. Try the pumpkin for something unique.

1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great decor and courteous staff, but the portions are very bid. No one in oye party of 6 could finish their dishes. Unlike other middle eastern places where are the Kebabs are always spiced and well done. We found the meat here closer to medium-rare and not as tasty as we would have liked. It is possible we chose the wrong dishes.