“Truly dreadful”

Comfort Inn Sunnyvale - Silicon Valley
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Yes: its run down, dirty, horrible - and no one there cares. I assume they get long term stays from Google etc so its no interest to improve it in any way.
If anyone think this is Excellent they really need to see more hotels as Its the worst I have stayed in. The internet is also patchy.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Sunnyvale - Silicon Valley

Reviewed 14 December 2012

This is my second time at this property. One year ago I arrived late and was too tired to leave so I stayed and the next morning I told front desk of the problems, dirty room and here I am again. This time I have put this property on my no go list and I will remember.
My room was dirty with hairs on the bathroom wall. The carpet was soiled in the room. The paint and plaster falling off the ceiling in the bath. The door knob was falling off the bathroom.
This is a potential great property but the management is not with the program. They should be inspecting the housekeeping staff and the OWNER should put some of the very expensive rate per night back into this property before it falls down.
I am Diamond with Choice and this property will never see me again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ojodoc
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I arrived and the check in was fairly quick. No real issues. I should have known to stay second level or above. Had a room facing the courtyard area and frankly on the first floor I should have moved up higher. The room was as clean as it could be for a hotel that is 20 plus years old. It was clean and you should know the toilet area is on movement switch so it will turn out on you. The other room light switch is on a movement switch so it will go out on you if working. You get two batch towels and two hand towels and two wash cloths. All are ok but not nice and fluffy. LIke what you would get at your gym. You will hear the people above you walking so again you are warned. The internet worked fine and I had no issues connecting. Water pressure was ok again no issues. The AC is a old box type and is noisy. I did not sleep with it on and took ambien so I would be down for the count and up and out early in the AM.

The back parking lot has several lights out and is not safe if you are a lady coming in late. So park front if you can. The doors do not shut on their own. So you have to make sure you close them. The ice machine on ground floor was broken and was straight out of hotel impossible. There was model and dead bugs inside it. They should have covered it up or removed it from where guests could see it. I did hear one man interact with a guest on the phone and he was rude and if I were on the phone I would have to hung up called amex and fought the charge. You do not treat people that way. It is a service industry.

TV is older and small but works and gets the job done.

It is a 2 star hotel that is going to a one star sooner or later. I saw the other quality inns in town and I would tell you to stay at those first before here.

Room Tip: IF you stay here do the top floor so the window can be open. Get a room on the backside as you will...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mrmcc916
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We booked the Quality Inn on Weddell Drive because of the cheap weekday rate, and thinking that Quality Inn meant that it would be up to Choice Hotels standards. Not so. The place was a little rundown, but we could have lived with that, given that the motel was several decades old. The beds were uncomfortable, the number of towels limited, and the a/c ancient. The horrible part, though, was the large patch of exposed mold in the bathroom. A piece of lath board had been broken off sometime in the distant past, exposing the black mildew section. This was easily visible to everyone, including maids & managers, and was about 2" x 4" inches in size. When I told the manager about the mold at checkout, his response was seemingly cavalier and uninterested. There was no apology for the condition of the room. This motel should not be part of the Quality Inn chain!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shafter11
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We assumed that this was on the high end of this chain, but found this to be no better than a Motel 6. The room is fairly clean but definitely in need of repair. The single electrical outlet by the desk [to use the free WiFi] had so many items plugged in, and a few not connected due to lack of outlets, that one wondered when a power failure, less the inconvenience of no power for my laptop. The screen door to the patio didn't move and fell off; a repair call accomplished nothing. The pool is basic and not very clean on the deck. One had to walk around a swept up pile of cigarette butts, a plastic spoon on the ground, etc. When we checked in, despite asking the clerk if she wanted to see my AARP ID to verify the reservation printout presented, we were to sign an agreement at the 'normal' rate. I had to bring back the reservation sheet to eventually [I hope] correct this. Why don't I get their lower internet rate guarantee since the Quality internet rate bettered the property? The breakfast was quite good with a great selection of foods and the staff, when around, was very friendly. This place, however needs upgrading: perhaps Hotel Impossible should visit them? Summary: not worth the $80 or $90 per night price vs the $50-60 motels, even with the breakfast..

Room Tip: unless you use a major high class chain [Hilton, Marriott, etc} you always get what you pay for
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

First, let me note that we stayed 4 of our 5 nights here free, having redeemed our Choice Privilege points to do so. Had we paid for all 5 nights, I'm sure that things I considered minor annoyances this time would have felt more serious.

The hotel is located down a quiet street that feels like a residential area, even though it's close to the freeway. This made it both private and convenient. You can enter through the (slightly run-down, but clean) lobby, or through a small, pleasant courtyard.

The room was spacious enough, although it felt old and too lived in. Our chief complaints about it were 2: First, in spite of the mild temperatures and non-existent humidity outside, the room always felt warm, stuffy, and humid, requiring us to run the loud and overworked air conditioner constantly. Second, the door lock was the most uncooperative I've ever had in a hotel. In spite of the staff's instruction to "pull the door" when sliding the electronic key, it never unlocked on the first try, requiring us to put down whatever was in our hands and slide the key multiple times before it would finally work.

Perhaps the most amusing and illuminating fact about the place was the mat that welcomed us to the "Quality Inn Sunnyville," a misspelling of Sunnyvale, the hotel's location. The mat had been there a good while, indicating the owners' lack of concern--or cash--to replace it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We were on a 3 State road trip using mostly Choice Motels. They are comfortable, clean, good breakfast, good condition and location was in a nice part of town.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple