“Nice comfortable hotel”

Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Toronto, Canada
“Nice comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Standard Sheraton. Awesome bed/pillows. Best sleep I've had on the road in a long time. Only quibble is that the Internet was flaky the entire week. Front desk said that they knew about the problem and were trying to change providers.

Room Tip: Inside king rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Karl W, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thanks for your comments, we appreciate the feedback. We are working with our internet provider to upgrade our wireless service throughout the property - we are hopeful that this can be completed by the end of this year. We look forward to serving you on your next visit!

Karl Wells

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Indonesian first
California City, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Dear fellow travelers,

The room was great with clean white bedding and bed sheet. Bathroom was clean and had wonderful fluffy towels. There was a closet in the room near the door, across from the bathroom. The closet was well designed and had good looking features. The desk was fabulous, great looking furniture! I loved the comfy sitting chair in the room by the bed. Air conditioning worked beautifully.

The only bad thing I did not like is the pool was very dirty. It had leaves floating all over. It was not just like leaves around the edges or at one / two corners, but tiny leaves and some bugs were floating ALL OVER in the pool. This was after check in time around 3/ 4 pm in the afternoon. I wonder why no staff care to clean it.

There was a fitness center/room with nice features on the treadmill. (treadmill had its own little screen for TV).
The bed was very comfortable! The nice and clean bedding also made sleep quality excellent!

Staff was ok. Liked the room, except for the very dirty pool

Room Tip: they charge extra for room with window facing the pool, other wise they give you room facing the roa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel - I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!

While it's great to have such a beautiful outdoor pool setting, unfortunately sometimes the wind and the weather works against us - we do clean the pool on a daily basis, but we obviously missed the mark late in the day. I've reviewed the pool schedule wih our team to ensure we're on top of it going forward.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Good hotel. Nothing spectacular. The kids liked the pool and hot tub. No elevator to the second floor that I could find. Kind of pricey but I guess that the going rate in the bay area. We just mostly slept there and did not stay at the hotel very much.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Karl W, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
I apprecaiae your taking the time to post your review - we're glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us!

Danville, California
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Standard kind of hotel (2 story walk up). Not enough power outlets - had to unplug clock to plug in PC. No room to plug in phone near bed unless I unplugged the lamp. Wireless was good. Furniture is a bit worn (headboard was a fake leather and it had worn off in the spot where a head would rest while sitting up). Front desk was friendly and staff attentive (eg.opening doors when my hands were full, etc.). Since the hotel is a series of buildings there are a lot of doors to open and room keys are required to access many of the buildings. SPG lounge was small but adequate and they have evening snacks and complementaty wine/beer. Location is good - easy on/off location to Hwy 238 and 101. My hotel looked out over the fwy - but the A/C is noisy so I did not hear it (the A/C was a constant noise (white noise) - so was not irritating). Parking is no charge (not always the case in this general area) and there is an ample lot. Expensive given the hotel - but hotels in this area are generally booked full during the work week so they all charge a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for comments - we apprecaite your feedback! I'm glad that the service you experienced at our hotel was positive, and I hope that you'll be able to stay with us again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Sunnyvale in Ca. and had a wonderful experience. Hotel was beautiful, seemed newly renovated. Convenient to the San Jose airport & major highways. Well maintained gardens, pool & lobby. They did not have a pool view room per our initial request, however gave us a wonderful large suite in the Club Lounge section!

Staff was friendly & courteous, made us feel welcome.

The only down fall is that there is no elevator. Be sure to ask for a room on the ground floor if you have large & heavy luggages!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the ground floor if you have large & heavy luggages, as there is no...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Karl W, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for your comments - I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to taking great care of you on your next visit!

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Unfortunately, this is my first ever negative review for the hotels I stay. I stayed at this Sheraton for a weekend break during my business trip. I checked in around 11:30pm, and was greeted by a locked front door (which is definitely not a good way to welcome your guests). It took a while for the staff at the front desk to realize this, and came to open the door for me. Why the front door of the hotel is locked (even before midnight) is beyond me. Does this mean that this area is not safe? (I don't think so though).

After completing the check-in process (with the acknowledgement of a SPG member) and getting into my room, I found the room below the average of other Sheraton ones. I agree with some other reviews about the slight smell, old furniture, etc. about the room. However, since what I needed was simply a clean bed to crush on and a desk for me to finish some of my work, I did not find any major problems with the room.

Now comes the issue. I knew it would cost me $10 for WiFi during booking. When I got into my room, even with strong WiFi signals, I couldn't logged into the provider's website (iBAHN) for such charges and to complete the process. It should automatically direct my browser to their webpage as instructed. Since I really needed to finish some work and urgent emails, I was pretty frustrated by this. I called the front desk around 0am about the WiFi problem, and the staff told me that he would call iBahn for me and get back to me soon. After 30 mins, no one called back to my room, so I rang the front desk again. This time, no one admitted that my 0am call or request was made. The staff simply gave me two options. Either they will try to call iBahn for me (and, again, get back to me "later"), or I can call them by myself. By this time, I was already exhausted and did not want to wait any longer. I just gave up on this, and asked the staff to put a note about this issue on my reservation (I was concerned about my following stay for the next weekend).

The next morning before checking out, I found WiFi finally working, but it was too later for me. When checking out around 10am, the lady at the front desk did not say a word about the issue I encountered last night. When I mentioned the WiFi problem, she just said I was never charged for WiFi (which was not the point anyway). Her supervisor was right next to her, and finally understood my issue. He said that the router or the service was reset in the morning, and he apologized for the inconvenience. The supervisor was very polite and offered me breakfast, but I was not sure how this helped (or comforting) since I was checking out and leaving at that moment. I only asked him to cancel my two-night reservation for the following weekend. Later, I decided to move my reservation to Aloft Cupertino nearby (which I was currently in and was extremely satisfied from staff to room, hotel facility to free/stable WiFi).

Sorry, I'll probably not come back to this Sheraton again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank YCW7
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered upon arrival to the hotel - due to the layout of our property, (with separate buildings), we make sure that each building is locked later in the evening to ensure our guest's security. As to our internet service, we are working with our supplier, Ibahn, to install new equipment by the end of the year that will greatly improve service throughout the property.

Again, thank you for your time - and thank you for the kind ratings for our staff and cleanliness!

Karl Wells

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stay at a lot of SPG hotels. I just stayed at the Sheraton Sunnyvalle, and it's gotta be near the bottom of Starwood hotels I've seen. I got to my room and it smelled...off so I requested to be moved. However, when I got to my second room, it smelled even worse. They put locks on the windows so you can't even open them to air the place out. Also, it looks like the carpets haven't been cleaned in a very, very long time. I wouldn't even want to walk around without shoes on.

To top it off, the TV wasn't working either.

I strongly advise against staying at the Sheraton until they clean up their act.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Karl W, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and I appreciate the time you took to speak to me directly after your stay. I apologize for the issues you encountered - while local regulations do not allow our windows to open completely, that's not an excuse for any unpleasant odors in our rooms. I've already discussed this with our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams, and we have addressed these issues going forward. Again, thank you for your time, and I hope that you'll give us another opportunity to serve you should you return to the area.