“Nice stay in Sunnyvale”
Review of Sheraton Sunnyvale

Sheraton Sunnyvale
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I've been in Sunnyvale for 1wks biz trip and quite enjoy the stay in Sheraton Sunnyvale - rooms are well cleaned, good hot water all day and very pleasant service here! Special thanks to Alex, Delca and Anita who help me to well reserve shuttle at the very early of the day.

if the internet were faster and breakfast were better, definitely it will be 5star hotel:)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Jay B, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I'm responding late to your comments, but thought you would like to hear about a few changes we've made since you posted your comments, which we sincerely appreciate:

1. Anita has received a promotion to supervisor at the front desk and continues work well in further developing our team in customer service. Alex and Deka continue to development themselves as well.

2. We got a brand new Shuttle van;

And most importantly:

3. We replaced every piece of electronic equipment related to our Wi-Fi internet service. It’s fast, reliable, and easy to connect with just about any device.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The hotel was OK. Rooms clean, Staff friendly. the breakfast buffet was OK but not varied over the 3 days I was there. The restaurant Fez was a little better then OK, but not yet very good.The irritation I had was in their gym. The TV on the treadmill only showed junk cable channel and not any of the major channels which I expect (CNN, CNBC etc). These major channels are on the TV in the rooms so why not on the treadmill? I complained about this on the first day, and I used the treadmill every day I was there (3 times) and it was never fixed.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

it was pretty much what i expected for a mid level chain where i am paying over 200 dollars a night.The rooms were a nice size and clean.The bathroom had sufficient space.The beds were very comfortable-one of nicest nights sleep Ive had at a chain in awhile.I did not pay for the internet and i find the policy of doing so to be terrible.I am so used to hotels providing it for free that i am always surprised when there is a charge.Its ironic that a hotel in silicon valley is so behind the times.There is also no elevator so we stayed on the first floor.We stayed in one of the back rooms so its a walk to reception.Our room overlooked a parking lot so not much of a view.The front desk also gave us a bit of a hard time because our son had made the reservation and forgot to add our names.We had done this before and never before had it been a problem-especially as my name is one that it was obvious that i was related to my son.Further i was paying for the room so i still wonder what the hassle was.All in All an ok chain hotel in silicon valley with easy access to highways and comfortable beds that should review its polices.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Rooms are okay--a bit old, but clean. There are various buildings so you have to walk outside after you check in to get to your room. You can park close to your building, so that's nice. Grounds are beautiful--tons of trees, nice pool, gazebo. Restaurant was good--had a lot of options for dinner. Staff were very nice. Was there on business; not sure there is much to do close by for tourists.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in Sheraton Sunnyvale for two weeks during my business trip. General impression was good: area was convenient for us, we liked restaurant, room, outdoor pool. On a negative side, hotel was not good value for money and restaurant was pricey. There were some other small issues. See below.

HOTEL & SITE

Pool, restaurant, lots of parking space. Smoking inside apartment is not permitted, but there are enough places with ashtrays around the area to have a ciggy.

Hotel personnel was very friendly. They managed to organize late check-out for us (it is free till 2pm), gave information on transport and places around and in general were very helpful.

LOCATION

If you rent a car, the location is good to get to the main roads quickly. Traffic is not that bad.

If you use public transport then it is 7 minutes by feet away from 54 bus and light rails. So if you travel between Mountain View and Winchester then it is quite convenient.

SHOPS

Nearest convenience store is 12 minutes away at corner Borregas Ave & Plaza Dr. Nearest supermarket is in Sunnyvale, 30 minutes by feet / 12 minutes by bus.

Light rail can get you to the Great Mall of Bay Area or to Caltrain (also by bus) and from there you can travel to other malls and shops, or San Francisco city.

FOOD

There are some nearby places to buy junk food from, but you'll be pretty much tied to the hotel restaurant unless you want to travel (about 20 minutes by light rail) to the downtown Mountain View and have dinner there.

FAZ restaurant onsite offers good quality food, yummy and nice big portions. Variety of food is normal, service is quick and friendly. It's OK to have a dinner once or twice there, but if you stay longer it becomes pricey.

ROOM

We liked our room (delux apartment), it was bright, sunny, plenty of space, clean. There was a desk, chair, built-in wardrobe. The bed was awesome as advertised. The room was quite, no noise coming from the motorway. Bathroom had everything necessary.

A "full bath" was advertised at their website and it was true but our bath actually had some anti-slippery coating on the bath floor. It felt like sandpaper to the skin, so taking a bath was not pleasant.

If you plan for a long stay and you are short on budget, and want to cook for yourself, I would not recommend Deluxe / Traditional rooms: no kitchen, no fridge, no microwave, no water boiler, no plates / forks / spoons. All they offered was a tiny table with a one-cup coffee brewer and free Starbuck coffee (3-4 packs). With a bit of imagination you can brew tea in it :)

I am not sure about other rooms though.

You can hire a fridge for $10 per night, but it will be useless unless you are used to cold sandwiches. My colleagues stayed at $170 cheap hotel and had a full kitchen. Sheraton definitely lost this battle.

Another thing: water smells and I strongly recommend to boil it before drinking or drink purified water only. The hotel is not able to provide water of acceptable quality, so they offer 2 x 250ml bottles of water for free and one 500ml bottle for ... $4. You can buy a gallon in Sunnyvale supermarket for just above $1.

INTERNET

As I understand bad and constantly dropping out Internet connection is a signature feature of Sheraton :) I heard lots of complaints on it and experienced it myself.

There is also a catch: to use Internet you need to sign-in. If you sign-in from a laptop you'll be given a code to connect up to 3 devices to the hotspot for free. If you sign in from a mobile device, you won't be given this code. So there is a possibility that you might be overcharged for the Internet if you connect two mobile devices, because it will prompt to pay to connect on both.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are quiet
1  Thank Roman K
Reviewed 24 September 2013

no / poor internet!

poor lighting in room.

no elevator.

spread out location (rooms are not all under one main building)

Asked the front desk not to clean my room since i'd be working. i went out for some coffee, and when i returned, housekeeping has already started on my room.

front desk lack of knowledgeable about area (you should really know where the nearest coffee shop).

nothing to eat if you check in after 11p. no cuppa noodles- nothing.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The good:

This hotel has pretty good room service. The attached restaurant, Faz, has pretty good options. The room service was fast! It was tasty. Worth the money!

The hotel was good about allowing delivery drivers through to my room. Though each room is in a locked corridor, the front desk would allow them to deliver my Chinese food direct to my door. This is a pet peeve at many hotels that make you come down to the front desk to meet delivery drivers. Not so, at this hotel!

The location is great. The hotel is right of 237. It's right near some key business, like Yahoo, Juniper, etc. If you are working or visiting any of these businesses, then this hotel makes it super easy to get there in the morning. No nasty highway traffic to contend with.

The front desk people were very friendly. They welcomed me when I arrived. They apologized for my (short) wait upon checkin. They were very helpful.

The not so good:

The room was basic. It didn't have enough power outlets. I had to pull the bed away from the wall to plug in my laptop when in bed. Again, this is a pet peeve. We need outlets by the beds.

My room smelled...old. I don't know how else to describe it. It wasn't really musty, just old. Like my grandmother's house. I can't say that every room smells that way. I have only visited this hotel once.

The final word:

I would stay again if the price was right. It's not a bad hotel. It's not a great hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is broken into several buildings, encircling a pool. If you want a poolside room, be sure...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business