“Typical Sheraton experience”

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Sydney, Australia
“Typical Sheraton experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was rotated to San Fran for work for a month, staying here the whole time but also taking off on weekends to other destinations. Work paid for it so I was fine keeping it empty.

It's a Sheraton so you get your typical good service levels and happy-to-help attitude. The food is generally high in carbs (it's America after all) so you have to pick and choose your selection to maintain a waistline. Good quality and well presented choices.

I did have an issue where someone got my name and room off the breakfast list and charged my room two expensive bottles of wine and a fat tip, I gave it to Amex to sort out with the hotel and it got done. Nothing major in the end but you do remember stuff like that. They likely keep the guest list hidden now :)

The location is a bit industrial, lots of those big corporate campuses in the area. You'll need to drive somewhere else if you want to do anything interesting. If you want to jog outside the gym there's a few long empty roads around with light traffic. Also it's very close to the major freeways so you're well situated for getting to work each day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Urbana, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

First the good news. The hotel itself is a good one - clean, and they treat you well (especially so if you're a SPG member). And the wifi Internet in the rooms is blazing fast! (really fast).

HOWEVER, this summer (2014), there is VERY noisy construction from 8 am to 6 pm in the vicinity. I'm talking loud hammers hitting concrete every second, audible for about a mile around (very close to the hotel). I tried working in the hotel during the day -- impossible. Thankfully I was out most of the day, but the few hours that I was in, I couldn't hear myself think. Given the source of the noise so close by, I don't think changing rooms would have made much difference. (My room faced the swimming pool.)

On the plus side, I suspect that the SPG privileges and complimentary breakfast I got in the morning were correlated to the noise presence, but this is unconfirmed.

I'd expected that they should have warned us at the time of booking - I didn't know about it until I checked in. By then it was too late (my schedule was packed.)

Later, I saw that the hotel had left a letter on my desk and a set of earplugs. To their credit, they left these before I moved into the room (I only saw them later). But sorry, that just doesn't cut it.

I thought they'd ask me when I checked out how my stay was; they didn't.

Sorry, for almost $300 a night, this is not good enough.

(There were other things like a few broken knobs, and a few things, but given the good location, I was willing to overlook these.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Karl W, General Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, and the best news is that the major construction work, specifically the pile driving project next door, is complete. While there is still construction activity, the noise levels will be dramatically lower now.

I hope you'll consider us for a future stay now that the neighborhood is a bit calmer - thank you again!

Karl Wells

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

san francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband is a Starwood preferred guest (SPG) member - so we stayed at the Sunnyvale Sheraton for a business/social event. Be warned! There is major construction of a business park across the street and you are woken with sounds of pile driving that will make your head spin. The earplugs they provide are no cure. This is not a hotel to visit while there is major construction going on - choose Starwood - Palo Alto Sheraton is a good start and much quieter and cozier.

Room Tip: While there is major construction of a business park across the street there are no quiet rooms.
Green Features: Good. There are efforts toward recycling and low flow water faucets.
1 Thank joan g
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at this Sheraton for business in the Silicon Valley and had a great stay. I was greeted by a super nice guy who checked me in and made me feel right at home. The beds were comfortable and large. Rooms were clean and quiet. It's what I expect from a Sheraton chain hotel, and it lived up to my expectations. A pleasant surprise was the outstanding breakfast. It had fresh fruits, great crispy bacon, yummy hash browns, good eggs, and nice selection of cereals and breads.

It took about 20 minutes to drive to Palo Alto, and traffic is what you expect from the Bay Area. Would stay here again when in the Silicon Valley.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David G
Thanks for your feedback and kind comments - I'll make sure to pass on your comments to our partners at Faz Restaurant.

marion il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

stayed at this property for four nights, july 9-12. very clean, nice grounds, and convenient to 101 highway and palo alto area. very nice restaurant located on sight.several two story buildings in complex.no elevators.there is construction very near and very loud beginning at 8 am.otherwise, noise was not an issue. i would have rated this property higher but a customer service issue caused a bit of consternation.our hair dryer did not work properly and we requested a replacement two days in a row. the last morning of our stay we called the front desk and explained the recurring problem and was told "we are very busy and it may be a while before we can get one to you". i called back a few minutes later and asked to speak to a manager. none was available and wouldn't be for about an hour. a hair dryer was brought up later and at check-out we again requested a manager. still none available. i left my name and phone contact and asked for the manager to call me when they arrived. it has been almost 2 weeks and i'm still waiting for that call. customer service is what differentiates one motel for another and this location failed. i guess since i had checked out they believed i no longer counted. i do count and my review and future trip to this area will take all this into consideration.

Room Tip: construction is on back side .
Green Features: good environmental practices with sheraton's towel use practice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your posting - I appreciate the positive comments, however I'm so sorry that we did not follow through on your basic request or with a follow up call. If you would like to call me, I would love to take a few minutes to speak to you. Thank you again for your time and consideration!

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip and was only there for 24 hours but the experience was lackluster at best.

First, when I checked into my room I was immediately struck by an overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke. I had requested a non-smoking room but the front desk mentioned that there are instances of guests smoking in the rooms. The odor was so strong that I thought I would likely smell of smoke if I stayed in the room. The front desk was pleasant about the issue and allowed me to switch rooms. The new room did not smell of smoke but did smell of must and felt old, rundown and dark. Further, the AC only allowed you to program it to one temperature-freezing-because it was broken so I was forced to unplug it at night although I could have used some cool airconditioning. Additionally, I found insects in the bathroom and the deadbolt was broken.

For $225.00 per night I was grossly disappointed with the hotel. I certainly wouldn't stay here again and would definitely not recommend it to a friend.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Sheraton in Sunnyvale is well located for business and is projected to upgrade its interior design and facilities over the next year.
Today the furnishings do appear to show their age.
A typical Sheraton, it has comfortable beds and clean rooms and bathrooms.
The Club lounge needs to get to the standard of other SPG properties specially in the Far East.

Construction noise is a problem in the morning starting at 8 and may continue for some months so avoid the rear rooms.

Room Tip: construction noise in the morning at the rear of the hotel for at least a few months.
1 Thank ANOldFoodie