“Great for the business traveller”
Review of Sheraton Sunnyvale

Sheraton Sunnyvale
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 11 July 2007

This is a very nice motel, beautiful grounds, gardens, pool, fountains, etc. considering that it is a motel, not a resort.
I received a free upgrade to a garden view room, which was a nice touch.
The room was spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Spence_SD

Reviewed 12 May 2007

I was travelling on business for a one-day training in San Jose. I wanted to stay at a Starwood property because I am a preferred guest member. Unfortunately the options in San Jose aren't too great for Starwood members. I booked the Sunnyvale Sheraton as it seemed to get good reviews on TripAdvisor, and wasn't too far from Downtown San Jose (I would have preferred the W Silicon Valley, but it was twice the distance and I'm not familar with commutes in the Bay Area). That said:

Location: The location is very accessible to the 101 and 237 freeways. For communting to Downtown San Jose, the hotel is very convenient. Travel on the 101 is against the flow, and it only took me 10 minutes on a Friday morning. There is not much in the area around the hotel (primarily a business/industrial area), but a short drive (5-10 minutes or so) down Mathilda Ave into Sunnyvale provided lots of options for eating, etc. The hotel itself is easily accessible with a nice "campus" feel to it, and lots of available parking.

Room: My room was a "Starwood Preferred Guest Room" and had recently been remodeled. It looked sharp on first glance, but there were a few a minor annoyances. I had a great plasma-screen TV, but the remote worked intermittently. The room had high speed internet ($9.99 fee), but it was "wired" and extremely slow. I don't know if it was worth my company's $$ or not. The room still smelled like paint from the remodeling - I'm not sure how long ago it had been remodeled, but the paint smell was strong. There was no refridgerator. The bathroom was large, and there was a decent-sized desk area. The bed was extremely comfortable - one of the highlights. Unfortunately, the shower did not have hot water at 6:45 in the morning. The water coming from the faucet was scalding hot, so I knew it was an issue isolated to the shower. The water finally got lukewarm, but I didn't have time to complain because I was in a hurry to get to me meeting.

Service: I'm mixed on this, mainly because I specifically booked a King bed, but received two queens. Certainly not a huge issue, but when you specifically book one type of room, why isn't it available? Front desk was pleasant enough, but not apologetic about the number of bed-issue. That said, I made several calls to guest services (to ask directions, wake-up call, etc.) and they were very friendly and helpful over the phone. One other thing I should mention is the fitness center - it closes at 10pm. I don't understand why it can't be open until 11 or 12 - I was looking forward to using it but my flight was a little late and once I ate, there was barely any time to. This hotel caters to business travellers in Silicon Valley - I am sure that this market isn't always ready to call it a day by 10pm.

In summary, the hotel was just ok. I knew going in that it wouldn't be anything special, and it wasn't. There were goods and bads. All in all, I'd probably consider it again if I were going to San Jose, but I'd also consider just trying the commute from the W if I wanted Starwood Points, or I'd consider just forgetting the points and staying at a nicer property downtown.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank cougrz007
Reviewed 12 February 2007

Overall pretty poor for a Sheraton. Property is run down. I had a second-floor room and there were no elevators -- just outdoor stairs. The gym is "under renovation" (I think they just don't really have one) so they send you to squash court down the street that happens to have some cardio equipment in the hallway. Definitely false advertising on that front.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank carcats
Reviewed 24 October 2006

Not at the bottom of the price range but pretty much at the bottom of quality. Nothing wrong with the people.

Lousy breakfast buffet on the Club level, yet. extra charge to stay there. Wireless web charges at 2.95 for 15 minutes and 25 cents a minute after. A charge for USA Today that you have to opt out of.

Rooms are clean. Location is right on a busy corner. Shangrala has major traffic noise.

Really seems inadequate for the price.

I am tired of being nickel and dimed to death by higher end chains that don't provide the services that the lower end chains like Hampton Inn do provide.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank robertckelly
Reviewed 28 August 2006

This is a nice hotel and the staff is wonderful. the bed is comfortable and I feel safe. My big issue with this is the fact they charge $9.95 for 24 hours of internet. Most of the hotels up and down the mathilda avenue aren't 3/4 star hotels, but provide this amenity. It's time that sheraton welcomes the year 2006. Granted this is a comfortable environment, but if you here for a week, that's 50-60 bucks for internet access..

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank dapcook
Reviewed 25 May 2006

Stayed here mid-May 2006 with husband for 2 nights. Used priceline and paid 57. per night. Extra large room, very clean, all necessary amenities. Disappointed internet wasn't free but they are catering to business travelers who will be reimbursed by their companies. Didn't use the pool but the area looked nice, tropical feel. Staff was very helpful.

Priceline users warning - Staff told us they are sold out Mon-Thurs nights almost all of the time. They are centrally located to all the Silicon Valley businesses so therefore very popular. If you are priceline, they are probably going to give you the worst room since you are paying so little compared to everyone else. As soon as I booked the room on priceline I called the hotel and made the request for a non-smoking king bed room. They said they would take my request but would not be likely to fulfill it due to being so booked, so fair warning which I appreciated. When we got there the front desk clerk told us priceline does not guarantee what type of room we get and all they had available was a smoking room. It was a Thursday and the clerk told us likely a non smoking would open the next day. So we stayed in the smoking king room in hopes of changing. The room smelled like smoke, as expected, and so did any clothes we had out in the open that day. The next morning I went to the front desk, asked to change to a non smoking room and was immediately accommodated. It was a non smoking with 2 queens, which was fine, stayed in this room on Friday night.

I would stay at this hotel again, but only on a weekend booked through priceline.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank ercm76
A TripAdvisor Member
Oregon
Reviewed 4 March 2006

I stay at this hotel frequently.
The staff always makes me feel welcome and really respond to any problems I might encounter. The hotel is dated and in need of refurbishing, but the cleanliness and great staff more then make up for this. I work out at a nearby full service gym for free when I show my room key. Staying on the club level is worth every penny.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business