“A great hotel and a terrific staff”

Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have stayed many times in this hotel and wrote several reviews on some of my past stays. So why another review then?

The reason is that things change and especially in the hotel business such changes can come quickly. They can also go both ways.

Luckily that is not the case here and compared to my previous stay, things even got a little better. This does not mean there is no room for improvement though. I'll cover those at the end, but they are all very small.

The room was very clean, comfortable and spacious. It is ideally suited for a longer stay. The recent renovation has modernized the look and feel, replaced furniture and maintains the high quality one has come to expect from this chain.

The full sized open kitchen includes a big fridge, microwave, dishwasher, etc. The living room part is comfortable with a big screen TV and a sofa to wind down on. There is also a comfy seat.

The bedroom and connected bathroom are comfortable too. The bedroom has a second TV. One improvement over the previous time was the walk in shower. It replaced the old bathtub that was pretty small. Getting rid of it and expand the shower area was a very good idea.The tiling has also been redone. Altogether it makes for a great shower experience at the start of the day.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Wi-Fi. I usually prefer a fixed connection because most hotels provide very poor Wi-Fi service, even in Silicon Valley. In this case, there is no need to worry though. The line was reliable and fast enough for standard use.

Something else I want to mention because it is often overlooked. Maintenance is doing an excellent job. I've experienced this a few times myself. As soon as something is in need of repair, or requires regular maintenance, it is done very promptly.

Housekeeping is also very good and leaves nothing to desire. I really like it that the rooms are cleaned thoroughly before a new guest arrives, but also during the stay the room is kept clean.

So, kudos to the hotel management to continue to invest in quality!

There is however another very important aspect: the staff. It is very rare to experience this kind of friendliness and hospitality. Everything is done promptly and with a genuine smile. This is across the board with all staff members and really makes a big difference. It sets this hotel apart from many others.

Why not 5 stars then? Well, if possible I would give 4.5 stars. There are some things that can be improved though.

The breakfast is good and I love the fresh fruit, but not much variation. Especially with an extended stay it would be nice to have somewhat more variety.

What I really miss is a luggage rack, or maybe even two since this is an extended stay hotel. It is kind of shabby to have to put your suitcase(s) on the floor. The carpet is clean, but still.

The self-laundry room has a very limited capacity. It is great there is no charge for this service, but only 3 washing machines is not adequate, given the size of this hotel. More often than not, they are all in use. Especially before and after office hours. What makes this more cumbersome is that the machines do not indicate how much time is needed still, so you just need to keep on trying. The number of dryers is sufficient however.

Perhaps it is also worth considering to have an in-room safe. In particular big enough to fit a 15" laptop in. I feel very safe in this hotel, but it adds to the convenience to have such a place for valuables.

As I mentioned above, all of these are pretty small wishes.

This is simply a great hotel with a terrific staff and I hope to return many more times!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelOften4B
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were in town for business and vacation. Close to a computer museum and a technology center, a few mission churches and technology companies. Easy access off 101.

Workout room only has 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical and 1 bike.

Breakfast was excellent with a good variety each day.

Suite was clean and had a nice sitting room for family time. We had a 2 bedroom unit so the girls were able to sleep in a bed instead of on a sofa bed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
tpmcevoy, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate your comments. We are truly fortunate to be in a good location, and thank you for the comment about the breakfast. Our two bedroom suite is perfect for families, so please consider Staybridge Suites again in the future. And, we working to improve the fitness room as it is very basic at the moment. We hope to see you again!

Regards,
Tom

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The apartments are nice and spacious. I wouldn't vouch for the breakfast, it could have been nicer and the same goes for the happy hour which is just thrice a week. However, I would say this is a quite comfortable place and there's morning drop in the offices around in case you aren't driving

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sourav P
tpmcevoy, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback about the hotel. Please contact me directly to let us know how we could improve the breakfast, your suggestions are appreciated. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Staybridge Suites while on a buiness trip to the Moffet office park. The hotel is extremely close to the offices. I appreciated the free wifi. I didn't eat the breakfasts, but when I wandered over the to area, the food looked good.

I was in a two-bedroom, two bath suite. The bed was comfortable and I felt safe, even with an exterior room door. It was nice to have so much room and I will now consider the Staybridge family of hotels when I travel with my family (This is the exact setup we like to have).

For future trips, I will be staying here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback about your experience at the hotel, your thoughts are appreciated. We want our guests to feel "like family", so hopefully you will return to the hotel in the future. Please stay with us again!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for several years now on my trips to the Bay Area and have never been disappointed especially since the relatively recent renovation the place underwent.
The apartments are extremely comfortable and especially when staying for periods of 2 weeks or more it is nice to have a homey feel and the kitchen amenities.
The place is clean and well maintained and the included breakfast is varied and plentiful.
The location is also good on the intersection of the 101 and 237 so it offers good access anywhere.

The only downsides are road and air conditioning noise in some of the rooms, the room lighting can be better and the bath water drainage can be improved.

Overall highly recommended and probably the best value in the area.

Room Tip: Try to request a room as far away from the highway as possible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here in December for a whole week and was very pleased. Grounds are very nice, so are rooms, and in particular the breakfast service and happy hour (both included in rate) were about the best I have found in the US anyway as part of included ameneties. It would not be fancy but you could certainly make an adequate and pleasant dinner out of happy hour, and free beer and wine are included. Dining room is comfortable and well furnished.

Only complaint is that the hotel itself is fairly isolated next to a business part and there is really not anything at all interesting in walking distance.

Oh, also on-site fitness room had hardly any equipment, they do let you visit a nearby gym for no charge but it is pretty old, run-down, and rusty.

It was very cold when I was there and the spa was not working, but the pool area was very nice. There is also a nice outdoor sitting a grill area with a fire pit and TV. Not in much use when I was there given the weather but I look forward to going back at another time when it is!

Room Tip: See if you can get upgraded to a 2 room suite, I did without even requesting it as an IHG Rewards me...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
tpmcevoy, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback about your stay, we're glad you enjoyed the hotel. Yes, there is not much within walking distance, but we have the shuttle which can bring you anywhere within a 3 mile radius. The fitness room is still a work in progress, and we are doing everything possible to improve it. Please stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights in Dec 2013. I was appalled by the fact that not one of the staff (and I interacted casually with about 4 of them and saw 6 others) smiled even once. I have stayed in 100s of hotels and at least 6 places like Staybridge. Staybridge Sunnyvale is meant to be a place "closer to home" than other regular hotels...which made this experience even more unexpected.

Another piece: the heater kept trying very hard to keep up. Granted that it was unusually cold (went to zero). Still, the issue was that the place was not "sealed" well.

Yet another thing: anytime anyone of your neighbors turned on the thingy (forget the name for this!...basically the thing in the kitchen sink that you can switch on to drain stuff), the sudden noise can give you a scare!

Room Tip: This place does not have elevators. So, if you are travelling with a large bag, request a room downs...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ram432013
tpmcevoy, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback about your stay. We want our guests to feel like family when they stay with us, and I apologize for the experience that you had with our staff, the heater, and the garbage disposal. Please give us another chance to make things right.

Regards,