“Great hotel, service, free breakfast”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is THE hotel to stay in Sunnyvale. The rooms are spacious, modern, clean and comfortable. Great free breakfast with eggs, bacon or sausage, waffles you cook yourself, fruits, everything. Friendly staff. Here's what happened this morning: I went for an early breakfast and there were no complimentary Wall Street Journals. I asked one of the breakfast staffers, Angie Figurosa, if there were any WSJs. She went to the front desk and reported that they hadn't arrived. As I was eating the great breakfast, she appeared at my elbow with a WSJ that had just arrived. How often would you expect to get that level of personal service in a complementary breakfast buffet? These folks are terrific!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (though perhaps they all are by now)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 September 2012

After reading multiple outstanding reviews from previous guest, our travel group spent the weekend at the Sunnyvale Country Inn & Suites while touring the San Francisco area in early September. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out we could not asked for better results. Check-in was a breeze. the rooms clean and user friendly, beds comfortable, lobby area inviting and staff attentive. Can not say enough regarding the hot buffet breakfast, BEST EVER. It's clear why this property at an average nightly rate of $70 is so highly rated.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My son and I just spent the past weekend at the Country Inns & Suites in Sunnyvale, CA and I have to say for the price which averaged about $70 a night, I have never had such a terrific bang for the buck. Upon entering we were welcomed with open arms by the staff, and Jessica Gamaz, the Front Desk Lead couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating.The room was large and top notch, 2 huge queen beds and a nice flat screen LCD as well as a fridge and microwave. Also, the hot buffet breakfast each morning was the best I have ever had, included waffles, omelets, sausage, fruit, fruit salad and all the breads and cereals you can think of as well as 4 different delicious juices to wash it all down with...it was awesome! On top of that, the crew that was taking care of the breakfast room were extremely kind and courteous, asking each table if they needed refills on their coffee and juice...unheard of for an included breakfast. All n All we had a terrific stay and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the San Francisco area, it is a hidden gem.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Spent one night at the hotel to attend a Molin Rouge sing-a-long at the Retro Dome. I was pleasantly suprised how nice the hotel was. Serivce was great. Very quick check-in with a very kind check-in staff. The lobby area was great. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet, despite facing a very busy freeway. The room included a great AM free breakfast. A typical morning buffet. My one and only complaint: The hot food at the AM buffet was COLD.

The hotel is a little difficult to get to using public transportation, but I made it work. I walked thru a few business complexes to get the VTA tram to downtown SJ and the SJC airport.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My family and I have been staying at this hotel at least twice a year for the past several years and this was our first disappointing stay. We normally get a suite but this time because of a great deal through hotwire, we ended up staying in a regular room. The room's carpet may look fine, but it was incredibly dirty. The color and the design of the carpet hid it very well. The only reason we noticed was my four year old took off his socks and was running around the room barefooted for half an hour and when we went to bath him, the bottom of his feet were black with dirt. Even though the hotel went through a renovation awhile back, the bathroom door looked like it was forgotten about. It was pretty beat up and covered in scratches.

Since we have a toddler, we normally get up by 8am, but the one day we were able to sleep in, we were woken by housekeeping at 8am cleaning the room next door. We heard some banging as if someone was trying to hammer a nail into the wall followed by vacuuming. The vacumming only lasted a couple of minutes but it was enough to wake us up.

The hotel also offers a few designated hybrid parking and since we drive a Prius we always took advantage, but this time both hybrid parking spots were taken by non-hybrid cars. This happened 2 of the 3 nights we stayed there. On one night, one of the cars was a massive SUV. If you are going to make designated parking for hybrid cars, you might as well try to enforce it. I don't expect the cars to be towed but maybe a polite reminder note on the windshield from the hotel explaining the concept of allowing hybrid cars to park in designated spaces would be nice.

Lastly, there apparently was an incident one morning with an individual and 4 police cars arrived to take him away. The whole thing unfolded in front of the morning breakfast crowd. The hotel would not divulge any information which is understandable, but a little reassurance from management would have been nice especially for parents with small kids.

Other than this one disappointing stay, I would still recommend this hotel. Staff is overall very nice, and the breakfast very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kinsela
John H, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear kinsela,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. All guest feedback is welcome and appreciated as a way to let us and others know what we are doing well and what we can improve upon. We are very appreciative of your loyalty to our hotel and we look forward to your future visits. However, I sincerely apologize for the concerns you had expressed and I assure you we will look into all corrections to ensure these do not affect future guests. We will closely monitor the carpet condition as cleanliness and sanitation is one of our highest priorities. I also enjoyed your idea regarding the hybrid parking letters and I will be submitting this to the rest of the management. Although it is still open parking we can do our best to affect the planet in a positive way. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during the unfortunate disturbance which occurred during the breakfast. Because the hotel was not directly involved we were limited to information as well. Safety and security are highly valued at our property and we have staff available 24/7 to assist guests in any way possible. I am excited to let you know that we will be starting phase 2 of our renovation process very soon which will replace the bathroom doors as well as many other refreshing updates throughout the hotel and guest rooms. If we can be of any additional service please let us know. Once again, we thank you for your continued loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring your back to the area!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Catherine Villanueva, Front Office Supervisor and staff were wonderful. The parking, wifi and awesome breakfast were free. The room was spacious, the property was clean and well maintained. I would stay there again with questions.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Staff are really great, polite, pleasant and always have time to help. There were a few Gotchas that I wasnt aware of until I'd booked a 3 week stay...1) The bar doesnt open on Friday or Saturday 2) no food cooked either on those days. 3) the bar stock ran out a few times too when it was open. Also, the location is a bit quiet on weekends, being in a business area there's not a massive amount to do other than Baylands Park and Great America. Fine if you like those, not so good if you dont. Pricing was reasonable, breakfast was good, internet worked fine 99.9% of the time

Room Tip: Watch out for anything on the 1st floor and/or near the elevator
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andy h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Hilton Santa Clara
Hilton Santa Clara
#1 of 32 in Santa Clara

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale? Share your experiences!