“Stinks of smoke”

Cherry Orchard Inn Sunnyvale
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Grungy, low-rent (but high-priced for what it is) hotel on a drab stretch of the El Camino. I stay at Choice hotels all the time, 60-70 nights a year, and this is one of the worst I've been in. Dodgy all the way--from the creepy old elevator to the long corridors--this place isn't worth half the $105 I paid to stay there.

Do yourself a favor and stay away. I was supposed to be in a non-smoking room, but it reeked of tobacco. It was so late when I arrived, by the time I dragged my bags up to the 3rd floor, I just wanted to sleep, so I grit my teeth and put up with it. Yuck. If for some reason you do decide you want to stay here, bring flip-flops. You will not want to walk around barefoot on the carpet.

The 'good' reviews here, I cannot fathom how anyone could thing that about this place???? S**T in their eyes, I guess, or the owner posted them.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank peterbasson

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I was looking for something close to San Francisco and this was as close as I could get. The check in staff was pleasant. He let me check in early because the room was ready. The hotel is long and skinny with a drive through in the middle. There is a do it yourself elevator (hard to explain) It seems like someone put this together on a whim. Every time I went up to my room I forgot the top part is solid unlike the bottom with the drive through. The room has a few extra's a pantry and sink in the bedroom. The mini fridge and microwave are there also. In my room I had a leather recliner. Not your usual hotel style. The walls were thin. I could hear the people upstairs and wondered if the people below me could hear me creaking around. Also the people next store. It is an older property. The rooms are large. Pool looked nice. Breakfast was very good. A very large variety including eggs, bacon, muffins and pasteries Choices of cereal and juice. Lots of restaurants in the area. It is a ways from the 101.

Room Tip: motel is small and access is easy from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We had just spent two nights in an upscale "boutique" hotel for $270/night in Silicon Valley as part of a wedding event. We found the room at the Sunnyvale Comfort Inn just as clean, the bed more comfortable, free WiFi more reliable at a quarter of the price. The management staff was very helpful. The complimentary breakfast was much more than the usual muffin and coffee. A real find!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Rena S
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed two nights in this hotel for business. The hotel was very average on all fronts, average room, average continental breakfast, average cleanliness, etc. I felt a bit uncomfortable because I had a ground floor room and the curtains were just the little thin white ones that you can see through. I also couldn't get the internet to work on my laptop. The staff was friendly, which is always a plus. The breakfast area is literally right in the lobby in front of the desk which was awkward and uncomfortable. It was a very small area and difficult to get around other people trying to get their food and eat. My room was comfortable and clean, but nothing special. I wouldn't say I had a bad experience at this hotel, but I don't think I would stay there again. There are better options in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed in Room 219 from 6/18/12-6/21/12 for business.
On the morning of 6/20/12, I woke up with bed bug bites all over my body.
Called the front desk, to request room change, but they did not change the room even after I explained to them the bug bites. The front desk guy lied saying that someone who checked out of the same room on 6/19/12 did not report any problems with it. i checked in on the night of 6/18/12, so I knew nobody checked out from Room 219 on 6/19/12.
I confronted it to the front desk, but no apology. All they did was to change bed sheets and blanket. I woke up on the morning of 6/21/12 with additional bed bug bites.

I would never stay this place again.

Room Tip: Bed bug infestation in Room 219
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 913businesstraveler
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This hotel is very Conveniently located in Sunnyvale - its very close to the Lawrence Caltrain station (about 5 mins drive) and there is a VTA Bus stop (serves the 22 and 522 lines to Palo Alto Center) bang in the front of the hotel. There are really good restaurants witin a 3 mins walking distance on either side - including a Japanese restaurant (right next door), Thai (Dusita Thai right accross the street), an Ice cream parlor (Nirvanah across the street) and quite a few Indian joints. KFC, Subway and Burger King are also within a minutes walk and there is a nice bar next door. The place is very safe too. Guests has access to the Fitness 19 gym on the other side of the road - which is a great improvement from the normally cramped and under equipped Comfort Inn Gyms at other places.

The rooms are just fine, though possibly a bit under-furnished. The hotel corridors are extremely cramped and the backyard swimming pool is not properly maintained. Guest Laundry boils down to a single set of coin-operated washer and dryer near the backyard - its not great (the door was broken for instance and I had to prop it open with a dustbin before i could use the washing machine) but it serves the purpose. Breakfast was slightly disappointing - thought it had most of the standard stuff of Comfort Inn hotels - the care was missing, they took time in refilling the hot items at times. The Inn is run by an Indian couple who are polite and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is a value hotel. If you are looking for fancy, The Domain Hotel next door is your choice perhaps. But the price was right, service was good, staff was helpful. The partnership with the Fitness 19 gym across the street (free!) was a huge plus for us over the normal horrid hotel gyms. That the wonderful lunch and dinner Indian food buffets of the Bombay Garden restaurant is walking distance away helps. Breakfast the norm for this kind of place (tho the room for it is small).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
#1 of 6 in Cupertino
Maple Tree Inn
Maple Tree Inn
#5 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Cherry Orchard Inn Sunnyvale? Share your experiences!