“This hotel is SMELLY, DIRTY, UNSAFE and DISGUSTING”

Cherry Orchard Inn Sunnyvale
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
San Jose, California
“This hotel is SMELLY, DIRTY, UNSAFE and DISGUSTING”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The floors around the edge of the room are filthy. The non-smoking room smelled of mold and smoke. Most hotels have room key access to open outside doors. This hotel is wide open so anyone can be waiting for you when you open your door. I worried about getting mugged every time I left my room. The bedspread was old, scratchy and covered with cigarette burns. The ash trays on the stair way were overflowing with garbage and was not emptied at all during my stay. The walls and doors all need painting. The bathroom light bulbs above the sink were burned out. Several days, there was no hot water. I've made over 200 trips in the last 10 years, all over Europe, Asia, and America. This is one of the worst hotels out there. The overall smell, filth, and lack of maintenance really is disgusting.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 676L676

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I had a business trip on Sept 17 - 22. I was gonna have some down time so I brought my family. This was not the hotel of choice, but all other hotels in town were booked.

Rooms are pretty small, cramp and dated decor. There is a kitchenette had a small sink, tiny microwave, nice mini fridge (separate freezer, not a box attached to the fridge). A nice 42" Panasonic LCD with an analog cable box attached, there are HDMI ports for gaming or media box.

Now the horrible stuff. As I said I brought my family. We requested two key cards. Neither of them worked consistently. One evening we went out for dinner and grocery shopping to load up on snacks and drinks, upon our return neither card worked. I went down to the front desk leaving my family in the hallway. I waiting 20 minutes before anyone appeared, it was still relatively early, 7pm or so. When he returned he answered the ringing phone before greeting me and trying to solve my issue. I waited another 5 minutes. Then he said I hope you haven't waited too long while he recoded my cards. He also mentioned they have been having problems with the cards.

The very next morning my family and I went down to the free breakfast and the manager confronted someone trying to use the bathroom next to the breakfast area. They eventually got into a loud argument with plenty of four lettered adjectives that were not appropriate for my two year old to hear. The verbal argument nearly escalated to a physical confrontation. I was able to distract my 2 year old by some sort miracle. I was absolutely disgusted.

There were a couple more times our keys did not work properly and had to get new ones.

I will never stay there again, even if it is the last room in the area. I will stay 10 miles away and fight traffic if need be.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 3GarrettM

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

long beach
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Grungy, low-rent (but high-priced for what it is) hotel on a drab stretch of the El Camino. I stay at Choice hotels all the time, 60-70 nights a year, and this is one of the worst I've been in. Dodgy all the way--from the creepy old elevator to the long corridors--this place isn't worth half the $105 I paid to stay there.

Do yourself a favor and stay away. I was supposed to be in a non-smoking room, but it reeked of tobacco. It was so late when I arrived, by the time I dragged my bags up to the 3rd floor, I just wanted to sleep, so I grit my teeth and put up with it. Yuck. If for some reason you do decide you want to stay here, bring flip-flops. You will not want to walk around barefoot on the carpet.

The 'good' reviews here, I cannot fathom how anyone could thing that about this place???? S**T in their eyes, I guess, or the owner posted them.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank peterbasson
Phoenix
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I was looking for something close to San Francisco and this was as close as I could get. The check in staff was pleasant. He let me check in early because the room was ready. The hotel is long and skinny with a drive through in the middle. There is a do it yourself elevator (hard to explain) It seems like someone put this together on a whim. Every time I went up to my room I forgot the top part is solid unlike the bottom with the drive through. The room has a few extra's a pantry and sink in the bedroom. The mini fridge and microwave are there also. In my room I had a leather recliner. Not your usual hotel style. The walls were thin. I could hear the people upstairs and wondered if the people below me could hear me creaking around. Also the people next store. It is an older property. The rooms are large. Pool looked nice. Breakfast was very good. A very large variety including eggs, bacon, muffins and pasteries Choices of cereal and juice. Lots of restaurants in the area. It is a ways from the 101.

Room Tip: motel is small and access is easy from the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We had just spent two nights in an upscale "boutique" hotel for $270/night in Silicon Valley as part of a wedding event. We found the room at the Sunnyvale Comfort Inn just as clean, the bed more comfortable, free WiFi more reliable at a quarter of the price. The management staff was very helpful. The complimentary breakfast was much more than the usual muffin and coffee. A real find!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Rena S
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed two nights in this hotel for business. The hotel was very average on all fronts, average room, average continental breakfast, average cleanliness, etc. I felt a bit uncomfortable because I had a ground floor room and the curtains were just the little thin white ones that you can see through. I also couldn't get the internet to work on my laptop. The staff was friendly, which is always a plus. The breakfast area is literally right in the lobby in front of the desk which was awkward and uncomfortable. It was a very small area and difficult to get around other people trying to get their food and eat. My room was comfortable and clean, but nothing special. I wouldn't say I had a bad experience at this hotel, but I don't think I would stay there again. There are better options in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed in Room 219 from 6/18/12-6/21/12 for business.
On the morning of 6/20/12, I woke up with bed bug bites all over my body.
Called the front desk, to request room change, but they did not change the room even after I explained to them the bug bites. The front desk guy lied saying that someone who checked out of the same room on 6/19/12 did not report any problems with it. i checked in on the night of 6/18/12, so I knew nobody checked out from Room 219 on 6/19/12.
I confronted it to the front desk, but no apology. All they did was to change bed sheets and blanket. I woke up on the morning of 6/21/12 with additional bed bug bites.

I would never stay this place again.

Room Tip: Bed bug infestation in Room 219
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business