“Horrible staff and room!”

Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

The staff members at the front desk was extremely rude, confusing, and arrogant. After checking in, I walked in to my room with cockroaches and bugs crawling all over my bed, ceiling, and bathroom! So I went back to the front desk and cancelled my 3 night reservation and demanded for my money back. They said it would take about 3 business days for the credit to be refunded but it has been 2 weeks and no refund on my account so far! I keep calling back and they keep giving me the run around, telling me that they don't have any records of my stay or credit card refund when I have a confirmation given to me by the front desk agent. Horrible experience and even worse staff!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Hawks89

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here out of necessity as we were too tired to drive more that night. This was one of the few places we could find with rooms which doesn't surprise me given I now see why people would pick other places first. The price wasn't that great for a budget hotel. When checking in the attendant seemed to be calling a room (only dialed a few digits) several times. This didn't click until we got to our room and a light and the tv were on. Had the feel an employee was hanging out in the room before we arrived.

Overall: I doubt we'd stay there again unless we were desperate. I have to say I believe the reviewer who suggests some of the positive reviews are planted by friends and relatives (and the management basically admits it in their response). To say that there was a "very big selection" at breakfast defies credibility. And to say the inn has a gym is misleading at best. They do have a deal with a gym down the street that you'd need to drive to where you can arrange to pay each time you use it, but to say the inn has a gym isn't accurate. The most positive reviews aren't from typical travelers but from people staying on an extended basis while working for a while in the US (that's what the H-1B visa is that one person mentioned). They seem to be assessing things from a different perspective and have a different arrangement with the management (like one who refers to being allowed to have equipment to cook in their room). There's nothing wrong with that situation by itself but it doesn't seem appropriate to include those reviews on a site like tripadvisor with its focus (they wouldn't even be appropriate for the vast majority of business travelers looking on tripadvisor and not at all for recreational travelers). Details of my experience are below.

Pros: room was basically clean and was a decent size.

Cons: 1. Bargain hotel but not such a bargain price. 2. The air conditioner didn't really cool the room during the night even when set on maximum. 3. The shower pressure was like an industrial sand blaster. It was uncomfortable and also caused suction that made the paper towel thin shower curtain push up against your body the whole time. Barely tolerable for me using it once. For kids or a longer stay it wouldn't be acceptable. 4. The free breakfast was barely adequate. The main items were toast, small bagels, pre-packaged little danish, and popcorn. Most of the people we saw there appeared to be young business people who made a danish sandwich on toast. Even a fast food place would be embarrassed to offer that and call it breakfast. Below par even compared to other Vagabond Inn's we've stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Kamlesh P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear 1359vk,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, though we are very concerned to read that you were not satisfied with your stay.
We are investigating your concern that someone was in the room before you arrived, and will definitely take your criticism as we plan for our upgrades in the near future.
As we know our breakfast is not for everyone, though compared to many traditional continental breakfasts that are offered, we try to provide a larger variety with what city and county laws allow us. For guests that require a full or hot breakfast, we do have a partnership with the diner we share a parking lot; to receive a discounted meal, proof of your stay at the property is required. We do try to secure a pass to a local gym as a bonus for our guests upon request prior to arrival, but it is currently not listed as one of our hotel amenities, as passes are given to us by the local off-site gym and not a guarantee.
Again, Thank you for your feedback. All feedback helps us to improve our products and services.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I love this place! a place away from home yes.I will be going back there soon. Looking forward to it, Their staff is super nice and professional, I love that this Vagabond has a gym YAY for me since I love working out.Breakfast was more than we were expecting. A very big selection. Attendant was always there ahead of your needs. Everyone was friendly and went above and beyond. Clean nice rooms great snack, good internet connection. I stayed for more than 2 years the staff makes me feel right at home. Thank You for making this my second home !!!!! .
Really recommend it - great joy

Shrijeet Nair

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for the great review! Hope to see you again for your next visit.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over 2 months when I was on business trip and I enjoyed my stay. The Staff is very friendly and the service is quick. The rooms are spacious and the they provide you with enough cooking range in case you want to cook in your room. It is located next to Denny's which is open 24 hrs, so you don't have to travel anywhere to get food. The rooms are kept clean. In all, my experience was good and I would want to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Kamlesh P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel, and will try to keep providing the service that we do to bring you back.

Thanks
Ken
Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I think it is the best choice for everyone because the room is very clean and the officers are very kindly and very glad to help. I 'm an intern here and live for more than one month , That's really a wonderful choice!

• Stayed: July 2013
Kamlesh P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Traveler, thank you for visiting our property. We are happy we could meet your expectations. We hope you return for a longer visit in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed at this dive, booked through Expedia, in June 2013.

Bottom line: This place suckkkkksssssssssss.

Strike 1: The Smoking Room for a non-Smoker
Let's start off with the dive smoking room; and yes, there are still hotels which offer smoking rooms. Upon check-in I was told that unfortunately, this was the only set of rooms available to Expedia customers. Wow. Really?

Strike 2: The Cold Shower
So after a late day of work, I run the water and wait, and wait and wait and voila!, no hot water. So, I call "management", who tells me that the hot water would not be available for at another hour or longer. So, cold shower vs. no-shower. Hmmm... did I mention Strike 1 and the smell of the room?
Cold shower it was.

Strike 3: One Moment Please or "Hey, no TV signal"
As I run my shower in my futile attempt to get hot water, refer to Strike 2 above, I turn on the TV. Guess what?, The infamous "One Moment Please - This channel should be available shortly" message comes up on every channel I surf. Roh-roh. Not a good omen here.

I call the "management", after I plugged the phone back in you see as the cable falls out since the hooking mechanism which locks the wire into the phone is broken so the wire just keeps falling out, but I digress ....

I speak to the "management" who tells my I will not get hot water for at least another hour or longer and that my TV should be working. I tell him it is not. He tells me his is coming over. He arrives. I open the door. He attempts to reboot the cable box, re set-up the TV unit etc etc. Then walks out of the room without saying anything. I ask, so "Are you going to fix the TV/service?", with back turned to me, he keeps walking and says he will call Comcast.

"Will that be tonight?" I ask. He, the "management" just walked away.

Strike 4 - The Rifle or, "Where the f#@k is my Fabreze?"
So, the first night I arrived, see Strike 1 above, I figured I better do what I can to make my stinky smoking room smell as best as I can. I find a local Walgreens and buy a can of Fabreze. I return to my room. Fabreze the S*&t out of the room from floor to ceiling and I place the Fabreze in a clothes drawer.

Not wanting to have my clothes smell like an ashtray, I placed all of my clothes in my rental car the night of my arrival. The next day after I arrive back to the hotel from work, I noticed that I cannot find my can of Fabreze which I placed in the clothes drawer. I'll be damn, someone came into my room and rifled through my drawers. Thank goodness I did not leave anything in my room other than toiletries.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Roy8675309,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about some of the issues you encountered at our property during your stay, we will investigate some of the issues discussed throughout your review.
In regards to the hot water and the television signal, we did call in some technicians to get the necessary repairs for our water heater and the Comcast signal reset. Unfortunately, we were at the mercy of both of these companies and apologize for the inconveniences that it has caused you. We can assure you that it is an isolated occurrence and these issues typically do not happen often.
Our hotel has been filling up due to the high volume of guests attending the local events and the few smoking rooms that we have were unfortunately the only rooms available at the hotel or we would have been happy to move you to a different room.
We recommend booking directly with us at the hotel so that we can assign your room type based on your needs at the time of booking, and notify you when we are sold out of the non-smoking rooms so this does not occur again.
Again, Sorry for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have lived in this Motel for over 6 months. (no kidding).

I was on H1B in Sunnyvale and I started living this motel. The owner was warm and friendly and offered me a long term stay for a pretty good price. (almost close to a Studio apartment). I was also provided with a small cooking range.

They provide free breakfast, internet and access to a local gym. Since I needed a room only to sleep this saved me a good deal of money.

Pros:
1. Staff was always very helpful.
2. Prices were low
3. Free internet, breakfast and Gym.
4. Coin based laundry
5. 10% discount at Denny's which is within the motel complex
7. Starbucks, KFC, McD, BurgerKing, Lucky's Mexican Stores are at walking distance.
8. Rooms are clean and hygienic enough. For long term stay they cleaned it twice a week. (they provided additional towels, napkins etc. on request)

Cons.
1. Rooms are small so this is a place you should visit to sleep or just as a convenient shelter. If you expect to spend a lot of time within 4 walls you might get bored.
2. The motel is close to freeway 101 which is a good thing but it also means you will often here vehicle noise at night.

Room Tip: - Tell them that you are a smoker/non-smoker to avoid any issues - If you want access to Gym tell t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Akshar100,
We appreciate your feedback on your experience here at the property and always appreciate your company. We are happy that we have been your home for over 6 months now. It has been a great pleasure!