“Delicious and Authentic”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I was staying within walking distance to Tanto while on a business trip and decided to give it a go. Although we arrived late on a weeknight (8:00 pm ish) the place was packed. We waited about 20 min for a table.

The restaurant is on the smaller side, thus the wait for our table, but well worth the wait! We needed help with the menu, as we are not familiar with true/authentic Japanese dishes. The server was spot on in her selections, and my co-worker and I enjoyed a delicious meal and generous portions. Unfortunately, I have no idea which dishes we ordered, but when I visit Tanto again, I will take the same approach in asking for server suggestions.

Highly recommend and I can't wait to eat there again!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

You need to make reservations here if you do not want a wait. There is a queue here every night and the wait is anywhere from 30 mins to 45 mins if you do not make reservations. I would rate the Japanese food here better than others I have tasted from Santa Clara to Palo Alto. The sashimi moriawase is sliced in thick big pieces. The uni yakimeshi (uni on fried rice) is recommended, as well as their anago sushi and grilled fish dishes. The Gyutan I had wasn't as good as I expected but that is a minor quibble. Service is good but due to the crowds, you have give some allowances. The menu is fairly extensive and much better than many I have seen in the valley. Many so-called Japanese restaurants in the valley serves all kinds of sushi-roll variations but are short on other dishes. Tanto is an exception and the menu will even please Japanese natives, which is why 90% of the customers are Asians.
The price is okay - a bit pricier than others but it is good value for money. The restaurant itself is not very big, which means it is always packed.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I was staying at the Best Western a block away and walked over on a whim to this strip mall spot, It was really bustling inside but I was early and seated immediately. I'm not much of a Japanese foodie and the menu was a little different than I am used to. Since I did not see some of my old favorites, i just ordered the combination meal for $21 and a beer.
I chose sashimi & beef and was delivered a feast! Along with melt in your mouth tuna and salmon, I got beef teryaki, a small salad, miso soup, a bit of shrimp tempura, tofu, and rice. It was all very good and a great value.
By the time I left, there was a line out the door.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Quality of the sashimi was less than I had hoped but good nonetheless. Humble features on the outside but nice work with the interior design within the restaurant.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I visited Tanto with two colleagues from Tokyo and let them do the ordering. The evening was a great experience with many dishes outside the regular offerings I'm familiar with in CA. The restaurant itself is not fancy, but over 80% of the clientele is Japanese, so draw your own conclusion if you want... :-)
I'll be going back!