“The only place I stay”
Review of River Inn

River Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Susanville
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I am on the road 5 days a week and the River inn is the best value in susanville . Chris is always accomadating to me and my emloyees who travel through the area
always going the extra mile meeting our needs.The rooms are always clean and the staff is always freindly. It is the only place I stay in susanville .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank trashout

Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

We were tired after hours on the road & just needed someplace to sleep. We got so much more than that. The price was very reasonable (they even gave us a military discount, which I didn't expect) and the room was spacious. I was VERY impressed with the friendliness of the staff & the cleanliness of the room (NO cigarette smell or mustiness). Everything in the room was in working order & the shower had awesome water pressure (BEST shower of my trip!). I got a great nights sleep & didn't even hear the rainstorm that night. This isn't a new, modern motel, but it's clean, comfortable & reasonably priced; by far the best bargain I found in town.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank candycee62
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was our biggest motel mistake in a long time, but, I guess we were tired and didn't take a close enough look before we paid for it. It looks respectable enough on the outside and the sweet little old lady at the desk puts you off your guard - you just don't expect a room to be that filthy. Old and tired is acceptable but warm, quiet and clean are must haves we didn't get for our money. We left the room cleaner than we found it because we simply couldn't stand the state of it. Every surface was sticky, the heater was loud and full of dust, the shower walls had soap scum on them and by the way, the shower tap is hooked up backwards so that cold is actually hot. The walls and floor are paper thin, it's so loud you'll think you're sleeping in the middle of the highway, and to add insult to injury, you can't even get a cup of coffee until after 7 am. Keep looking, there are better places to stay than this!

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank llnjams
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stay in Susanville a lot and am somewhat familiar with all of the lodging options. Several are so run down I would not consider staying there. One smells so bad I can't believe anyone stays there, and it usually has just a few cars in the parking lot while the River Inn, right across the street, is priced about the same and is close to full.

The River Inn is clean, basic lodging. The mattresses are in good shape, the rooms are in average condition, with occasional minor condition issues. The heating/AC units are fairly noisy, and I have encountered one or two that are noisier than average. The rooms have microwaves and fridges, and a table & chairs. The River Inn offers coffee and those horrible little pre-packaged pastries in the morning, so I don't bother with that. If you want a "Free" breakfast, you can stay at the nice High Country Inn (same ownership as River Inn) for about $40+ more, or at the Best Western (some rooms ok, some smell moldy & old). The River Inn gets a lot of workers in construction, the railroad, etc., so it tends to be quieter by 9:00 or 10:00 in the evening, but noiser at 5:00-7:00 in the morning when they are all leaving for the day.

There is a lot of road noise at most motels in Susanville so ear plugs are a good idea. The Super 8, under the same ownership as the River Inn, is off the main road so most of the rooms may be a bit quieter.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank westerntravelwizard
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Got to Susanville during sightseeing trip through the northern California.

The guy at the front desk is very polite and nice, helped me to get more information about the area attractions.

The room is very clean and nice, sheets are clean and bed is comfortable. Room had refrigerator and microwave. There is free WiFi.

I could tell that this hotel is very well cared of.

Price is also very reasonable: $45 before tax.

On the downside, air heater is very noisy, and hard to control temperature (room 212). This was a minor annoyance.

Room Tip: Choose the second floor to reduce noise from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AlphaRomeoTBi
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Really nice staff. Room was nothing special -it's an older building. We were a bit late getting into town, needed to find a place to stay that allowed our dog. She didn't have any pet rooms left and almost didn't have any rooms left, but she did have one room she would cut us a deal on. She was the only one on staff, so we would have to change the sheets ourselves. For the deal she gave us, we were more than happy to change sheets!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Stayed here for one night on our way to Reno. Located on the main highway thru Susanville. Checked in within five minutes,after looking at the room we were to stay in. No problems. The guy on the desk was a nice and polite. The room was upstairs and this cut the noise of the road out. Good clean room, clean sheets, comfy king bed, good nights sleep. Tv, fridge in room, no coffee maker, but coffee and cakes at hand at the desk the following morning. Nice clean bathroom, good shower. Just what we needed for our stay. Restaurants within walking distance Great rates for the night.

Room Tip: Upstairs, less noise from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple