“Costly Sacrifices”

Ranked #1 of 5 Tahoe City B&B and Inns
Torrance
“Costly Sacrifices”
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My wife's dream was to get married on New Year's Eve at Lake Tahoe. I spent 8 hours on the internet reviewing locations for a 3 day visit. It was hard to find any place with a view that got reviews that were generally positive. Cottage Inn has very good reviews but wanted a 4 day minimum stay @ $285.00 a night.

I booked it as the pictures looked very charming and we planned on getting married in our room, The Bird's Nest. One month before we left, my credit card was charged for the full stay and although it is listed in AAA, without any discount.

Our room looked nice and had a loft where the bed was. The main floor was an open room, seperated by a flow through fireplace which supplied the heat. On one side of the fireplace was a sitting area and on the other was a jazucci tub for 2. It looked promising.

Neither my wife nor I ski so we were looking at spending a lot of time in the room but being newlyweds, that was fine.

In the sitting room, the furniture was a 4' love seat, small table and a chair. All of these were made of wicker! Ever sit very long in wicker? I had marks on my back that looked like I had just been released from some 4th world prison. That was the only place to sit to watch the TV. Oh yes, the TV. How about a 13" screen?

OK, I'll cut it short and just list the rest as you can see what I thought by now. No heat in the bathroom. Ever go to the bathroom at 3 AM when it's freezing? Small shower, no water pressure (like pouring a cup of water on yourself). The only closet had no light in it and was so dark you couldn't see into it. The upstairs floor creaked with EVERY movement as did the bed. Remember, we were newlyweds. Our neighbors yelled at us more than once because of the noisey floor/bed. The bed was so bad, we both had back aches every day (the place was full so no other room was possible). There wan't any dresser so for 3 days, you had to live out of your suitcase. The stairwell lights could only be turned on/off from downstairs, a real safety hazard or else we had to sleep with the lights on and in our eyes. There were 2, 5" inch diameter holes in the carpet in the front room.

I could go on but you get the point. We left a day early and gave up one night's money just to get back home.

The quality control was terrible and you would think that for $300.00 a night one might only have to indure one or two of these issues. We both have travelled extensively and have never had such similar problems, especially for the price.

We did encounter staff that was less than helpfull as stated in some reviews but the owners were pleasant, just not able to help. They did offer to give us a one night free stay in the future. I'd rather go back to that wicker prison.

Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ArtyTorrance

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
san jose, ca
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I really liked the looks and reviews of cottage inn and was hoping to book a cottage suite for 2 days in Thanksgiving. I was put off by the booking experience. We were 3 people trying to stay in one room. The lady who answered did not seem to really care to see if there were ways in which we could be accomodated. Apparently they will not allow 3 people to stay in one suite. I wish this was mentioned much more clearly in their web page (it is vaguely mentioned). I asked if it was just their policy or if it was something they were recommending us not to do for our convenience. She made some joke about how it was impossible for 3 people to sleep on a queen bed and how their suites will just not accommodate 3 people. I said we could adjust and perhaps bring our own portable bed for the extra person. She seemed to laugh at this. On the whole, we were really looking forward to staying here but were put off by the owners way of talking and their policies.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank revel78
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed 7 April 2008

The Cottage Inn is comfortable and friendly. The cottages are cozy and romantic, although most of the cottages have at least one common wall with an adjacent cottage so this could be an issue if you'd rather have the privacy of a stand-alone cabin. The Cottage Inn has an excellent location for many activities. For example, you can walk to the restaurant and bar at the Sunnyside Lodge. It is a short drive to Tahoe City, hiking, skiing, etc. The hostess was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was served in the common dining room as was reasonably good, but nothing special. The prices here are reasonable for what you get - very good location & comfort. My wife and I stayed in one of the cottages with the large tubs for two, which was a worthwhile splurge for a romantic weekend.

• Liked — Location and a cozy cottage with a large bathtub for two
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DKO
lesliegb
Reviewed 20 September 2007

We booked this hotel for the weekend and it was so cute and charming, I instantly fell in love with it. It is not your typical B&B as the cabins are part of duplexes, so there is much more privacy -- it feels like your own personal and cozy hideaway in the woods. They are done in an outdoor theme -- ours had a log bed and lots of "bear" items, and has a gas fireplace as the heat source, which made it feel very cozy. They also have a private beach that the guests have access to. And the staff was very friendly and even delivered a complimentary bottle of wine to us on the night of our wedding. The breakfast was very tasty and filling as well.

It far exceeded my expectations and I would definitely stay there again if I were in Tahoe.

• Liked — how cute and charming the cabins are.
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lesliegb
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2006

Based on the great reviews herein and the Cottage Inn's website, I called to see what reservations were available in upcoming periods.

There is no on-line reservation facility. Which is ordinarily fine. However, the person I spoke with sounded rushed and impatient in their tone. Person was keen on explaining how popular the place was but not much else, and I felt that I was being a pest having them check multiple dates.

If they can't be warm to potential guests then for that kind of money, I am looking elsewhere. There's a reason people stay at B&B's rather than large hotels.....

• Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank twoworlds
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 25 June 2006

After the family cabin in Tahoe was sold, my husband and I have been on a mission to find a place where we can relax and enjoy the beauty of Lake Tahoe. We found it at the Cottage Inn. We stayed in the Sail Inn located in the new Bear Lodge. The room was spacious and quiet, and within walking distance to the beach. And the breakfast was one of the best we have been served at a B & B. Susi and her staff are wonderful and we look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Linnbada
Arcata
Reviewed 18 March 2006

We just came back from staying 4 nights at the Cottage Inn, and we had an excellent time there.
The service, the comfort of the cottage (we stayed in the Enchanted Cottage) and of the lodge, the ratio price/quality all made it a very enjoyable experience.
There are books (mostly fiction), magazines (mostly people or fashion), the daily newspaper to read in the lodge, and also mulled wine to drink by the fire... As well as video tapes to borrow for a night and play on your VCR.
It's authentic without being (too) cheezy.
The quality of the breakfast depended on who our hostess was, but overall very filling and tied us for almost a whole day of skiing.
Water, tea and coffee were available in the Lodge at all times, highly appreciated after a walk in the snow without much else to drink but... snow!
During the winter though, one minus -- the lack of heating in our bathroom (in the Enchanted cottage)... Very powerful hair dryer and complimentary soaps, shower gel and shampoo. All a nice touch that made the stay even nicer... as if our hosts really had gone out of their way to make us feel at home.
One last thing -- I don't know how the place would feel in the Summer as it is quite dark and doesn't let much light in. It didn't bother us as we were out skiing most of the day and didn't hang around in the room too much during daylight.

• Stayed March 2006
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Basecamp Tahoe City
Basecamp Tahoe City
#1 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!