“ok rooms, but bring earplugs”
Review of Tahoe City Inn

Tahoe City Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Tahoe City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Room and hotel were as clean as I expected for a place in tahoe city.
Great location for playing on the lake or rafting the truckee river
The service was ok. The complimentary breakfast was good.
The king room (#25) we stayed in had a good bed. The heart shaped shower/tub was enjoyable if not a little difficult to get in and out of.
Our BIG problem was the never ending noise that came from the parking lot behind the hotel. There was some sort of recycling crusher machine that people can (and did) access at all hours of the night, just when we would start to fall asleep the Crusher would start again and then again etc.
I might recommend this hotel if the rates were a little lower and the hotel tried to stop the midnight recycling madness.
By the way, because you can see (squint) the lake, apparently you have a room with a lake view.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
TahoeCityInnManager, General Manager at Tahoe City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Hello,
Maybe for your next visit to Tahoe City, you could stay in one of our completely remodeled rooms. We have gone above and beyond to make sure these rooms are just like home for our guest's. We even have brand new beds and installed noise reducing insulation in the walls to ensure you have a great night sleep to prepare for your day in Tahoe. :)

There are newer reviews for Tahoe City Inn

Reviewed 10 August 2010

My husband and I were put up at this hotel for the night by my boss. She apologized after we told her what it was like because the online photos are deceiving. We were afraid from the moment we went to check in. My boss had got us a deluxe king room with jacuzzi tub and requested that we be put in a lake view room. First of all the only view we had was of the parking lot and our room had a queen size bed, NOT a king. The room looked clean, but we felt very dirty being in there. It was so outdated and chep feeling. There were cracks and peeling paint everywhere and depressions(holes) in the floor. We could hear everything going on in all the rooms around us so sleep was out of the question. We tried to use the jacuzzi tub and after turning it on it broke. We called the front desk and they told us we shouldn't use it! WTF! They said it wasn't good to use after 10pm because of the noise, but it was only 9:15! Went to get into bed and there was a bug in in...and our tv had a hole in the top, which looked like it had been made by some kind of crack pipe or something burning it's way through. I could go on, but I won't. At $130 a night this was SOOOOOOOOOOOO overpriced and grose!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
TahoeCityInnManager, Guest Relations Manager at Tahoe City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

We are so sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel and want you to know that we do care and we are listening. We are in the process of remodeling our rooms at the moment and would love for you to give us the chance of staying with us in one of our completely remodeled rooms for your next trip at a discounted rate of 15% off.

Tahoe City Inn

Reviewed 29 July 2010

My family and I have stayed at the Tahoe City Inn several times. Each visit has been a fun experience. The rooms are very clean, and the beds are comfortable. The staff is very nice an go out of their way to help you.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stayed in Tahoe City Inn for two nights in July, the room was not nice. When got home we were bitten all over by bed bugs. It was discusting. When I rang the hotel to complain they said they were sorry and blamed the bites on insects in the forest, but we never in the forest and it really was just an excuse to get them out of the situation. When I sent pictures to prove it, they didnt even call or email me back. I just want to warn people who are thinking of staying there DONT DO IT!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, not even to an enemy. When we first opened up the door to our room, it smelled old and moldy, like it hadn't been cleaned or aired out in months. We had the double queen beds and in the room that I was in, the blinds didn't close. So if you were to get dressed or undressed, the people in the parking lot could enjoy a peep show. Plus, when the sun came up, it was blinding. That didn't matter because I was kept awake by the constant noise from the trucks unloading their goodies for the stores. Oh yeah, and our water was shut off twice, and we weren't even warned. We had to call the lobby to find out what was going on. The towels looked dirty. Stains on most of them. Hopefully they were washed. I felt so disgusted with the place, I kept my shoes on the whole time except for when I showered and went to bed. AVOID THIS PLACE until they do some renovations!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bugsy2323
Reviewed 6 February 2010

For some reason it's tough to find a bargain place to stay at North Shore Lake Tahoe in the winter - probably because it's ideally located to all the major ski resorts - northstar, squaw, alpine, mt rose, homewood, sugarbowl - to name a few. You can get a nice, clean and quiet place at south lake tahoe for less than 50 bucks = but trying to stay under 100 at tahoe city is a risk. The Tahoe City Inn is a great location - between two shopping centers and minutes to skiing - but hardly touched since it was built maybe 50 years ago. While the beds are nice and firm - don't look at the box springs as they will frighten you - must date from the original construction. And bring ear plugs - as you can clearly hear every conversation, tv station, and cough from rooms on both sides (no exaggeration). It's not the street noise that will drive you crazy - it will be the guy in the adjacent room with a cough that never stops. We paid 75 a nite - and being less than anything other than a bed bug infested dump - I can't say it was all bad. If you ski all day like we did - you'll fall asleep eventually even with the 2 am phone calls clearly heard from next door that you'll find less than amusing. And don't bother bringing your computer at 11 bucks a nite for wireless - it's part of the theme - just the room, that's all you'll get. (one blanket for a room with two towels). And ... better Ignore that musty smell of the towels... the replacements might smell worse (they must be saving on bleach).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank onetravelman
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We stayed at the Tahoe City Inn for two nights in August. I can understand some of the other comments about it being a bit tired, but it is not pretending to be a glossy 4 star hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was a good size, and was clean with TV, mini fridge and microwave. Yes the rooms overlook the car park, but so what? At night you have the blinds closed, and during the day you will be out on the lake or surrounding area.
We were there for the weekend, so were able to take advantage of the free breakfast, and it was fine. Teas, Coffee, juices, bread, bagles, muffins cereal and fruit. Remember its free, and I have stayed at other places where a paid for breakfast has been pretty similar.
Location is great, walk out the front and you are on the Tahoe City main street , and out the back a walk across a car park brings you to the lake.
Next door is a Safeway, so you can pick up provisions easily.
TIP: A lot of the prices in Safeway are discounted if you hold a club card, but at first we assumed that we could not qualify as we are from UK. We asked, at the till, and no problem, just put your name and contact number on a form, and they hand over the club card. Believe me it can make a big difference to what you pay!

We would be happy to stay at the Tahoe City Inn again.
The only negative point that I would make is that there are no plates, cutlery or ceramic cups in the room, just styrofoam beakers and plastic cups. As they are providing a fridger and microwave, its a shame that there is nothing more substantial to eat\drink from

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Tahoe City
Pepper Tree Inn
Pepper Tree Inn
#5 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Tahoe City Inn? Share your experiences!