“Franciscan Lakeside Lodge....fun and relaxing”

Franciscan Lakeside Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
Reviewed 23 June 2007

My family of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Franiscan Lakeside Lodge. We were in cabin #25, which had one bedroom and a recently remodeled kitchen. Our daughters, aged 18 and 20 each had a daybed on which to sleep

After traveling from Ohio and driving nearly 4 hours from the SF area to get to Tahoe Vista, it was rewarding to see the beautiful views from our lakefront cottage.and from the adjacent pier. The lake is beautiful as well as the mountains in the distance, some capped with snow in June.

We loved being able to have a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch at our cottage. The Safeway grocery store was nearby. We had been in SF and Sonoma for 5 days prior to Lake Tahoe so were tired of eating out for every meal.

We found plenty to do in the area. There is a kayak rental place next door and that was a fun activitiy.We also went on a two hour horseback ride at the stables of Northstar. The staff at the stables were very accomodating to me because I was timid about riding and gave me a very gentle horse. They had to reassure me that the ride would not be along drop-off cliffs. I'm glad I went. The scenery was beautiful and the ride enjoyable.

We visited the local parks and ate dinner at restaurants in nearby Tahoe City. This was a wonderful getaway and a place where the 4 of us, all with very different interests, could have a good time. The lakefront cottages are beautiful,

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank OHTrip

Reviewed 19 June 2007

We stayed 3 nites in unit 20, a "small studio." It included a gas fireplace, stove, refrigerator, microwave, queen bed, lots of pillows, cable TV. It has been recently decorated and we enjoyed our stay.
There is a dock and beach with great views of the lake and snow capped mountains on the south end of the lake.
For a midwesterner it was great to lay in a beach chair and look at the stars after dark.
Fri-Sun nites = $412.50 incl tax

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank biggerfoot
Reviewed 26 March 2007

The four of us (2 adults, 2 children) stayed at a one bedroom on the forest side, which considering the windy weather, was a great choice. Very well thought out decorating details, super soft sheets and quilts, lots of towels, a full kitchen setup, a full size coffee maker with coffee etc., and plenty of extra blankets and pillows for the day bed. We loved the bird feeders, the abundance of literature about the area in the office, and the heater in the bathroom. The office staff helped us find the closest snow so we could slide to our heart's content. The private beach at the lake had plenty of chairs, and in the summer, they have dinghys you can rent from their private pier.

Yes, as you probably read in other reviews. you have to do your own dishes, but you can always buy paper and plastic like we did and minimize your dishpan hands exposure. Safeway is just down the road.

Best of all, we received off season pricing, which is not commonplace at other Tahoe-area resorts. We paid $85. a night booking directly through the lodge. We will definitely visit again.
This place is also very popular with skiers.

Eat a burger at the Char Pit-best burger ever! And have your picture taken with the giant bear outside the office. My sons call him Fluffy.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rabrassard
Reviewed 16 December 2006

I have stayed at the Franciscan several times, and it is always a pleasure. The rooms are clean and charming, the lake view from my favorite room is incredible, and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Highly recommended, the place I tell all my friends to stay when going to Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 July 2006

I really didn't like this place. The room we had was small and musty. The pots in the kitchen were rusty and old. The chairs were hard and uncomfortable. The bed seemed dirty. The carpet was cheap and looked grimy. I felt like I was staying in a trailer park. The lake was nice across the street but in order to get there you have to dodge traffic. I really would never stay here again and it was not a good experience. One of the ladies that worked there wasn't very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Boulder City,Nevada
Reviewed 22 May 2006

I have stayed at the Franciscan about 6 times - I have told many family members about the wonderful and friendly atmosphere. In addition I tell my friends who like the Tahoe area but do not want the congestion of South Shore - This excellent facility on the North Shore is just wonderful and close to Casino's if you like that!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2005

We stayed on the forest side across the street from the lake. The weather was hot so it was great sitting on the shaded porch eating delicious pizza from the nearby pizza place. (Pizza delivery is available but we just walked over & picked it up.) We were there mid-week; it was not too much of a problem crossing the road. There is a 25 cent charge for ice. The ice machine is by the office on the lake side - which is quite inconvenient for those staying on the forest side. We solved the problem by buying a bag of ice at the nearby Safeway, then keeping some of the ice in the room's refrigerator, the rest in our ice chest. I liked the cabin-like decor a lot. Our kitchenette was very clean - I didn't mind what some have called "the dated decor" at all!

• Stayed: July 2005
8 mi away
Granlibakken Tahoe
Granlibakken Tahoe
#2 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Franciscan Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!