“Best place in North Shore!”
Review of Cedar Glen Lodge

Cedar Glen Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reno, Nevada
“Best place in North Shore!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed here last year and had a great experience so we came back for a 2nd time and this stay was even better! We've frequented a few other places in the area that are the same style lodging and Cedar Glen blows the others away.
Super clean renovated cabins, amazingly customer service, and all around great property for hanging out and taking in the view. Spent a lot of time at the pool, firepit, & picnic area. Can't wait for our next stay so we can try the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your flattering review! We are lucky to have you as our neighbors in Reno, anytime you are in the area, come by and say hello!

-Martha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Had a great two-day stay at the Cedar Glen Lodge. Were meeting family from the east coast who were staying nearby, so it was a good location for us. Stayed in the back, upstairs at the lodge building with a nice view of Lake Tahoe. Room delightfully appointed,with attractive details throughout. Floors squeeked a lot, and I worried about disturbing people downstairs. Breakfast was good, and items plentiful. Owner was so nice, and gave me a ride in the golf cart from the lobby up the slight incline of a driveway as I was trying to carry breakfast for two to our room. Then he saw me the next morning, and repeated the offer. Very thoughtful gesture.

Room Tip: our room was very nice, but i think i would try for a one-story cabin closer to the lobby next time...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your review! Alan is always happy to help our guests, especially when it comes to driving the gulf cart. San Jose is so close by, come see us again! November is a great time in Lake Tahoe, and all the crowds are gone.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We've stayed at Cedar Glen Lodge before and I would say that we liked it better last year. We stayed in a studio cabin for 4 days in July. Of course mother nature wasn't cooperating so we didn't have the most pleasant weather. But, we still did all the activities we wanted.

The best improvements to Cedar Glen was the lodge. We didn't get a chance to eat at the new restaurant, but we did enjoy the wine bar.

I think our biggest compliant was the guests this time. There were two large family reunions staying at the lodge at the same time. I think we may have chosen a different hotel if we knew there would be two large groups staying here. They took over everything...BBQ area, pool, spa, lodge. One night my BF and I wanted to BBQ dinner using the shared grills and picnic area. We went to look at the BBQs around 4 pm to see if we needed to buy any charcoal, etc. since we were going to the store to get out food items. We were quickly informed by one guest that she had over 20 people to cook for so we could not use one of the two grills. The other grill had a hand-written note that said "reserved." No one would even let us throw on a couple of hot dogs. So rude.

It was difficult to find a spot at the pool and we couldn't relax in the spa with a bunch of kids splashing all the water out.

In the morning, if I wasn't one of the first ones in the lodge when the breakfast started, I would have been out of luck. The groups took over that too.

This was supposed to be a peaceful getaway for my BF and I. Instead, we pretty much were at the mercy of two large groups and their agenda.

We really love the property and the staff is great. The owners are friendly and you can tell they have the best intentions to please everyone. But, it just fell short for us this year. It would have been nice to get an acknowledgement about the inconvenience these groups had on our vacation. Last year, for one night a company had a party on the property. Martha made sure we had what we needed and we were not disturbed by anything. This year, they catered more to the groups than to guests not in a group, so that wasn't a very pleasant experience.

This year they are not offering a military discount. They said that because they didn't raise the rates they weren't giving any discounts. But, that was disappointing.

I also want to mention that we stayed in the pet-friendly cabin last year and even though the bathroom was not very good, the room was much nicer than the studio cabin we had this year. The studio cabins are really tiny and close to the road, so really noisy. The small cabins also don't have a mini-fridge, so we had to keep our stuff in a cooler.

My BF and I are still considering Cedar Glen for future trips, but I think I will ask more questions when I book to see if there will be any large group reservations and then make a decision. We actually think it would be nice to have a wedding reception here, but I'm on the fence about it.

Room Tip: bring your pooch and stay in a pet friendly cabin. Since you have to drive most places, I suggest ge...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MandaSanders
Dear MandaSanders,

Thank you so much for your feed back! We truly appreciate what our guests have to say and try to address everybody's needs and concerns.

I am so sorry that you felt bothered by other guests. You stayed with us for 3 nights during July, which is our busiest time of the year. I am shocked to hear that they were "so rude," to you! Every time I went to the picnic area, all I ever saw was everybody socializing and sharing our facilities. So you know, we do have extra BBQs, which we bring out upon request.

I am sorry it was difficult for you to find a spot at the pool area, though it is pretty big. Kids were bothering splashing water. Again, you came to visit during the busiest time of the year and when families go out on vacation.

Even though our continental breakfast is free, between 8-10:30 AM, we provide an unlimited (literally!) amount of food. When something is depleted, we are quick to refill it immediately. So, I don't understand how you were "out of luck."

If you need a more peaceful getaway with your BF, try coming back during Spring or Fall.

We are really sad that we fell short of meeting your expectations this year! Please do know that anytime you come to Tahoe during July and August the whole town is going to be at its max capacity. I am sorry you feel that we "cater" to groups. We strive to give equal attention to every single guest. We always love the challenge to meet everybody's needs and concerns when voiced.

I am so terribly sorry that we did not give you a "military discount," on your 3 nights stay! You paid $99 per night, which included continental breakfast, Wi-Fi, free s'mores, use of our amenities, beach access (across the street), chairs, towels, ice, your $38 complimentary bottle of wine (via TripAdvisor coupon), and NO resort fees! Frankly, I don't think that even the worse hotel in the area could match half of what you received during the high season for $99 per night.

Yes, the single studio cabins were you stayed this year are our smallest (and cheapest) rooms and indeed, those are the closest rooms to the road and do not have mini fridge. And yes, we do provide ice for our guests coolers.

I am glad you and your BF still consider our property for future trips. Again, if you are looking for a quiet time, you must avoid July and August. If your budget allows it, we highly recommend one of our gorgeous free standing cottages with fireplaces, full kitchens, king size beds, etc. We are truly honored that you are considering a wedding reception here, unfortunately we are no longer taking larger groups.

Thanks again happy future travels to you!

-Martha =)
Sierra Foothills, CA
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Had a simply wonderful 3 days in Tahoe Vista, based at Cedar Glen Lodge. Alan and Martha- owners are the hardest working, most detail oriented proprietors I have yet come across in my travels. Beautiful, clean swimming pool and hot tub, which are daughter loved. Location cannot be beat with the best North Lake Tahoe beaches within walking distance. This is a classic Tahoe experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you so much for the flattering compliments! It is so nice to have such wonderful guests, such as your family, come to stay with us; AND you live so close, so you must come see us again!

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I can't say enough good things about this place:
Location - By the lake...stunning
Rooms - Modern, clean, spacious, beautiful
Facilities - Pool, hot tub, sauna, computer, breakfast, free parking...I could go on!
Price - Incredibly cheap for what you get
Staff - So friendly and informative
Generally - perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you so much for the kind review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us! Come see us again anytime you make it back to North Lake Tahoe!

San Jose
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Just returned from a few days at Cedar Glen Lodge -- and will return, I'm sure. Our 2-bedroom cabin was much more upscale than I had anticipated, with very comfortable furnishings and prime location, just steps away from the lobby and the pool. Will be recommending this to all my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank You for your awesome review! We are very proud of cabin #14, it is a beautiful room with lots of space. We are lucky to have you so close to Lake Tahoe, you must come back and see us sometime! November is a great time to visit, and the crowds are all gone.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This place is being beautifully renovated. The owners were visible everyday during our stay. The place is spotless.

It is a compact property but very pretty and convenient. Tons to do on property and very near by. Onsite they have a pool, hot tub, horseshoes, fire pit, picnic area, and ping pong. Short walk across the street they share a beach. Check out the complementary Smores at the fire pit each night! Just down the road is a large public beach in Kings Beach where you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, and jet skis.

Do not miss the mini golf at Kings Beach, celebrating their 55th year!

There are a number of cabins and several efficiency rooms with refrig, microwave and sink. We stayed in room 27 which had been recently renovated. It shares a big porch out front that has a view of the lake. A Continental breakfast is included.

There could be a little noise from adjoining rooms, but when we were there it was not a problem. We were so tired from all our activities.

We thought Cedar Glen was a good value and would recommend.

Room Tip: I know room27 is newly renovated. Ask for a renovated room when booking. I would also ask for an up...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunDogandCompany
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you for your great review! It is nice to hear you made use of all our amenities around our property. We are so sorry to hear about some noise during your stay. Most of the time it is very quiet about the property, but on occasion there is a night owl. Check out the cabins the next time you are in North Lake Tahoe, they provide much more privacy. Hope to see your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahoe Vista
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#3 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
#3 of 8 in Tahoe Vista

Been to Cedar Glen Lodge? Share your experiences!