Review of Spindleshanks

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 2 March 2014

...absolutely great - the ahi is to die for, wish I had the recipe to take back to the uk!!! Try the 'flights' wine tasting menu, especially in happy hour. Great, prompt and friendly service - it would be hard to better this one!!!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

This restaurant is hands down the best restaurant I've ever tried in the Lake Tahoe area. In the decade that I have been coming to this area, I have had many trials and errors with restaurants. It is unbelievably hard to find good food in Tahoe; most are mediocre and some are just awful. But after Spindleshanks, I have found my #1 choice for this area and will definitely be back. (Although I've heard that they will soon be moving locations and will no longer be on the main road in North Tahoe).

I do have to note though, that the food is pricey. I am from the wine country region and the food at Spindleshanks really is the same price as what you would find in Napa, which is expensive. If you're not on a tight budget, It's worth it if you want a good meal after a day of snowboarding/skiing/hiking. We ordered two entrees and spent close to about $64 - note that we didn't even order drinks, appetizers, or dessert. $64 just for two entrees. Granted they were seafood entrees, so I guess that takes up the price a little bit.

Complimentary warm house bread to start and a nice wine list to choose from (although we didn't order wine, this time around). I ordered the scampi linguini which was delicious with a generous portion of shrimp - so much actually that I couldn't finish it. My boyfriend got the house special which was black grouper and it was served on a bed of very well seasoned cooked veggies. Nice service, attentive waiter. Left full and happy :)

I also saw that there was a nice bar area on the other side of the restaurant with a large tv, but it is separated from the main dining room which makes it great for groups on the bar side, and nice and quiet for diners on the seated side. Found this place on Yelp actually, and there's no wonder why it has great reviews!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Let's start by saying this is Tahoe. And while there are some really memorable restaurants around the lake...the bar needs to be set a bit lower than San Francisco or Las Vegas.

That said, Spindleshanks is a long time favorite for me, my family and friends. I've always found their servers to be humble, friendly and knowledgeable about both their food and wine. And while some of the other reviewers are right that not every dish is memorable...they do a darn fine job overall.

Most of the dishes have at least one thoughtful element or twist...and I've never been disappointed with the flavors.

For New Year's eve we opened with oysters on the half shell, I continued with carpaccio and concluded with the fish special. All were tasty and well prepared.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Food, service, and ambiance are always superior. Tuesday nights are all night happy hours with drink and appetizer specials in the bar($6,) like oysters bienzo, mussels in garlic sauce, ahi tuna over wontons, and lettuce wedge with blue cheese dressing and bacon. We had spicy shrimp appetizer and pan fried artichoke. Both were excellent. There are also wine flights for $8 or wines by the glass for $6.
For dinner we had the trout with potato pancake and spinach, and brick chicken with Asian slaw and fried wontons (always my favorite). Some of our other favorites are the mac and cheese, butternut squash ravioli, and brisket.
It is a pity this cozy,historic building from 1927 will be razed next month to make room for 39 condos. But with its popularity, Spindleshanks will reopen in a nearby location with the same great food and service.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were recommended to try this place by our hosts but we're mightily disappointed. There is a largish menu but it seemed to be rather faux bistro in style and this was perfectly complimented by the Uriah Heap style of unctuous service complete with wringing of hands. The simple fish and fries meal was truly forgettable the worst we had in California.

2  Thank Skeet2013