“"Never Disappointing"”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
Marion, Illinois
“"Never Disappointing"”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We recently stayed for the third time at Holiday House, and with our two dogs we would not stay anywhere else in Tahoe. The lakeside suites are rustic, yes, but with all the comforts of home. The views are terrific from any of the four levels of decks (and from inside the suites as well), and for those interested in water sports, this place has it all. Our hostess, Alvina, is always hospitable, attentive, and very knowledgeable about the area. With so much to do in the near vicinity, we never turned on the tv once. (Who goes to Tahoe to watch tv, anyway?) For our needs, Holiday House is perfect!

Room Tip: If you have an older or disabled dog, ask for a ground floor suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Laurel, Mississippi
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is the first time my husband and I have vacationed in Lake Tahoe. I found Holiday House on Trip Advisor and decided it would be perfect for us...which it was. The view is amazing . Morning coffee even tasted better while sitting on the second floor balcony watching the water sparkle like diamonds, truly. The owner, Alvina, was charming and very accommodating with our requests. Paddleboards are offered to the guests and the water is perfect for this sport. Although the furniture is a bit dated, the suite was comfortable and very clean. We will certainly come again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy E
Seal Beach CA
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We checked in Sunday night expecting 4 days of rest & relaxation; we checked out Tuesday morning feeling stressed, unhappy & disrespected. The bathroom door was warped & had to be shoved closed. The hair dryer fried immediately after turning it on. The bed leaned to one side. Lastly, for $195 a night, you might expect the room to have a TV manufactured in the last decade--I would guess the TV in our room dates from the 90s. Strangely, the room next door to us had a flat screen TV. No big deal, but that room was VACANT. We asked the owner if we could swap TVs with said room, or just swap rooms. We were told we would have a new TV in our room in 3 hours. 3 hours later, no new TV. 3 hours after that, my wife offered to do the switch herself & was refused. She was told we had broken the TV in our room. In fact, the TV in our room worked fine. The "game" button on the remote had been activated; press it again & you get TV. The owner told my wife that she would have her "guy" swap the TVs sometime the next day. When my wife told the owner that I was not going to be happy about that, the owner responded, "I don't care." Obviously a minor thing that could have been handled much better---and for $195 a night, SHOULD have been. We left the next day at 10 AM. The owner was nowhere to be found. I expect my credit card company to have a whale of a time getting the rest of the "stay" refunded.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
home
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is my second visit to Holiday House, and it is comfortable, relaxed, and PET FRIENDLY in the truest sense. Alvina is lovely, accommodating and kind. The view cannot be beat, right on the lake with paddle boarding, kayaking, windsurfing available. I feel comfortable and as if it is my private slice of heaven. Holiday House is centrally located to shops, beaches, and casinos. I was there for my birthday on July 2nd, fireworks on the 3rd, and more fireworks on the 4th. Alvina hosted a lovely fireworks party for guests and friends from the deck overlooking the lake and all the glory of the holiday right from the deck. Also, when I tried to book (last minute) the website indicated no vacancy but within a few days I received a call from Alvina asking if I would like to come and of course I jumped at the chance to return. I was thrilled. I am not looking for posh lodging, I would much rather feel comfortable and relaxed. The units that are all lake front offer that with a view that is nothing short of astounding, and the hospitality stupendous, including a pet welcome basket complete with beach towels and cookies. Each unit has an indoor dining area, one bedroom, a pull out sofa bed, and fully functioning kitchen. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, and at Holiday House, I do not see how anyone could not find this beautiful, right on the lake, close to EVERYTHING, fantastic hospitality, comfortable lodging, not fancy, but truly comfortable. It is a hidden gem, just like Alvina! Thank you Alvina, for making my birthday and Holiday memorable, I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: All rooms are lakeview, if less mobile request a ground level room, but all offer fantastic views of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Moehatfield
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is a tough place to review. The view was amazing, the location is great, plenty of space, nice amenities (kitchenette, beach/lake access). That was the good. This place is not luxury or posh. It was dated and beat up. there was no air conditioning, no fans, and there weren't screens on the windows. The weather was awesome, so the AC was not a problem. We arrived late and the room was stuffy the first night, but was fine the next day/night with the windows open. There was lots of road noise (loud w/ the window open) and we needed earplugs or some white noise to drown out the road. All and all, I think I would stay here again. I'm not familiar with the area so I might look around before going back. Although the place was a bit concerning when we arrived, everything was fine for us and we enjoyed our stay. And, you just can't beat the view.

Room Tip: all the rooms have the same view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jonathan_899
Muenchberg, Germany
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at the Holiday House around New Year’s Eve in the very spacious lakefront suite, in German we would call it “gemuetlich” (cozy?)

The view is overwhelming and we could even sit outside in front of our lakefront suite, daydream and listen to the waves touching the shore. This was our second visit from Germany. We love the North shore overlooking Lake Tahoe with such great Southern sun exposure.

We will come back again, especially since we can speak German with the interesting hostess of the Holiday House.

Heidelberg

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dfwerner
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This place is amazing! I was a little worried after reading some reviews. My husband and I weren't quite sure what to expect. Our expectations were far exceeded. Alvina is the sweetest lady. She allowed us to choose our room and we went with #5 on the first floor. The view is out of this world. You are literally a flight of stairs from the water.

The place was spotless, and I am a neat freak. The bed was comfortable with a cozy down comforter. The kitchenette was great. Stove, oven, fridge, toaster, microwave and coffee pot, and all of the kitchen utensils you need. We cooked dinner there both nights. There is a grill on the patio that you can use as well.

Super dog friendly. Alvina brought our dog a basket of goodies. She also brought her dog, Heidi, out to play with our pup. They had a blast. Alvina gave us some great tips on where to go with the dog and different adventures we could do.

We did not want to leave and come back to the real world, but work was calling. We will be going back to Tahoe as soon as we can and will be coming back here. This is the only place we will stay in Tahoe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Melissa927
#4 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Firelite Lodge
Firelite Lodge
#5 of 8 in Tahoe Vista

Been to Holiday House? Share your experiences!