“I love this place!!!”
Review of Holiday House

Holiday House
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
Reviewed 26 August 2014

What a hidden gem! We stayed here last week for four days and what a great experience. The view from the deck cannot be beat. The rooms are rustic and have a cabin feel, if you are expecting the Ritz, you will need to go elsewhere. There was plenty of room for everyone and the room was very clean. you cannot find more excellent, friendly service. Alvina is totally accommodating and glad to have you there and it really shows.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kris h

Reviewed 21 August 2014

It's amazing place! I like this style of the hotels, owner is so friendly and nice women! It's pets friendly hotel, so we took our cat, and I was worried how it could be; however, it was excellent vacation! Our cat was so happy in this place! I love beautiful view from room, so peaceful! Also, rooms, kitchen, and bathroom have a good condition! Of course, we love nature, so this place close to everything. I recommended go to Donner Lake (Truckee city) if you have kids because I think Donner Lake has more adventure for family and children! It takes 20 minutes only. My husband and I wait time when we will back to this place again, can't wait..... Thank you dear Alvina for our excellent vacation!

2  Thank NatalikForever
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Pros: It's right on the water, and the vibe is laid back. The owner is a super-friendly nice lady, and it's a family-run business. I like that. Dog friendly, and she also offers paddle board lessons. They have a floating pier you can swim out to and enjoy. It's a small place (8 rooms total). You can smoke.

Cons: It's a little old and slightly run down. The weather in Tahoe can be brutal, so I get it. The beach is a rock beach. There will be dogs (see above).

The owner has owned this place for like 20 years, and it was originally constructed for the 1960 Winter Olympics. I gather that this place is frequented by people that know the owner and her family, which lends itself to a casual atmosphere. There's no stuffy-ness.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wes T
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We recently stayed for the third time at Holiday House, and with our two dogs we would not stay anywhere else in Tahoe. The lakeside suites are rustic, yes, but with all the comforts of home. The views are terrific from any of the four levels of decks (and from inside the suites as well), and for those interested in water sports, this place has it all. Our hostess, Alvina, is always hospitable, attentive, and very knowledgeable about the area. With so much to do in the near vicinity, we never turned on the tv once. (Who goes to Tahoe to watch tv, anyway?) For our needs, Holiday House is perfect!

Room Tip: If you have an older or disabled dog, ask for a ground floor suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna K
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is the first time my husband and I have vacationed in Lake Tahoe. I found Holiday House on Trip Advisor and decided it would be perfect for us...which it was. The view is amazing . Morning coffee even tasted better while sitting on the second floor balcony watching the water sparkle like diamonds, truly. The owner, Alvina, was charming and very accommodating with our requests. Paddleboards are offered to the guests and the water is perfect for this sport. Although the furniture is a bit dated, the suite was comfortable and very clean. We will certainly come again.

1  Thank Judy E
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We checked in Sunday night expecting 4 days of rest & relaxation; we checked out Tuesday morning feeling stressed, unhappy & disrespected. The bathroom door was warped & had to be shoved closed. The hair dryer fried immediately after turning it on. The bed leaned to one side. Lastly, for $195 a night, you might expect the room to have a TV manufactured in the last decade--I would guess the TV in our room dates from the 90s. Strangely, the room next door to us had a flat screen TV. No big deal, but that room was VACANT. We asked the owner if we could swap TVs with said room, or just swap rooms. We were told we would have a new TV in our room in 3 hours. 3 hours later, no new TV. 3 hours after that, my wife offered to do the switch herself & was refused. She was told we had broken the TV in our room. In fact, the TV in our room worked fine. The "game" button on the remote had been activated; press it again & you get TV. The owner told my wife that she would have her "guy" swap the TVs sometime the next day. When my wife told the owner that I was not going to be happy about that, the owner responded, "I don't care." Obviously a minor thing that could have been handled much better---and for $195 a night, SHOULD have been. We left the next day at 10 AM. The owner was nowhere to be found. I expect my credit card company to have a whale of a time getting the rest of the "stay" refunded.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is my second visit to Holiday House, and it is comfortable, relaxed, and PET FRIENDLY in the truest sense. Alvina is lovely, accommodating and kind. The view cannot be beat, right on the lake with paddle boarding, kayaking, windsurfing available. I feel comfortable and as if it is my private slice of heaven. Holiday House is centrally located to shops, beaches, and casinos. I was there for my birthday on July 2nd, fireworks on the 3rd, and more fireworks on the 4th. Alvina hosted a lovely fireworks party for guests and friends from the deck overlooking the lake and all the glory of the holiday right from the deck. Also, when I tried to book (last minute) the website indicated no vacancy but within a few days I received a call from Alvina asking if I would like to come and of course I jumped at the chance to return. I was thrilled. I am not looking for posh lodging, I would much rather feel comfortable and relaxed. The units that are all lake front offer that with a view that is nothing short of astounding, and the hospitality stupendous, including a pet welcome basket complete with beach towels and cookies. Each unit has an indoor dining area, one bedroom, a pull out sofa bed, and fully functioning kitchen. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, and at Holiday House, I do not see how anyone could not find this beautiful, right on the lake, close to EVERYTHING, fantastic hospitality, comfortable lodging, not fancy, but truly comfortable. It is a hidden gem, just like Alvina! Thank you Alvina, for making my birthday and Holiday memorable, I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: All rooms are lakeview, if less mobile request a ground level room, but all offer fantastic views of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tahoe Vistana Inn
Tahoe Vistana Inn
#6 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to Holiday House? Share your experiences!