“Anyone who says something bad about this place needs to examine their motives!”
Review of Holiday House

Holiday House
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I was shocked when I read the negative reviews about this small quaint inn that over hangs Lake Tahoe. Alvina comes to the door with my 'dog basket' every time I come. She welcomes my dog Lily and has lift tickets at a discounted rate for my son. I am a writer. I sit looking out of the large window typing and glancing up at the amazing view of Lake Tahow not even 100 feet away. It is definitely rustic, but clean with a deck to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. It is down away from the road! The quiet is golden! II can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank GaiaCeleste

Reviewed 19 January 2011

We stayed at the Holiday House for four days and loved every minute. The owner was very sweet and accommodating and the location and views couldn't be beat! I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisalynne_1458
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This is a lovely rustic place, with a beautiful view and lovely surroundings. I have stayed several times. The owner is friendly, helpful and responsive. I have two well-behaved dogs which she welcomes every time. If you are looking for a state of the art hotel with the latest amenities, this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a smaller place, comfortable and clean with a well equipped kitchenette, that welcomes your pets, has a gorgeous view and a great place to relax, and is close to everything that Tahoe has to offer, then this is it.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank maxsim
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My daughter recommended it...as we love to travel with our huge dog. We loved it...dogs can go swimming at the private beach...although a ramp for dog owners would be nice. :). The place is SPOTLESS, and the owner is very accommodating. I would stay here again...and recommend to others.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gunerDp_Ca
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Oh how I miss my ski lease days. Alas, in these tough economic times and with a new baby, my visits to Tahoe are few and far between, so when I do go, I want a comfortable and hassle-free experience. My in-laws were treating us to this much needed President's day weekend getaway. My father-in-law booked with Holiday House based on the fact that it was dog-friendly and had lakefront rooms...and a vacancy.

Now, I was not expecting the Ritz Carelton, although FYI they do have an entire dog friendly floor. Rather, I was expecting a fairly rustic place, which is exactly how I would describe Holiday House. To start with the positive: Beautiful views. Convenient location. Hot tub (albeit a dirty one) on the lake. Period. Normally, I'd say that these things make the rates worth while...

Unfortunately, my stay in particular was soured by the manager Alvina. Seemingly sweet and accommodating at first, she turned out to be as barky and sharp toothed as her German Shepherds (though I'm sure her pooches are better behaved than she is). There must be a reason that she was one of the only places that was not fully booked on this holiday weekend. Upon arriving with my husband, Alvina showed us our 2 bedroom "suite" which we had reserved for us, our 6 month old baby, and our in-laws. Unfortunately, it was dank and depressing with a view of the parking lot and had a couple of old blankets thrown on the floor (covering up what?). We immediately asked to move upstairs to the two separate lake front rooms which were surprisingly available. Yes, we upgraded - meaning a better deal and more money for Alvina.

The lakefront room was fine. Decent. There was not bathtub, so that was a bummer. The bathrooms were fairly fresh and renovated. The main room was, well, quaint. A stove, fridge, and utensils all probably dating back to at least the 60's if not 50's. Dingy somewhat smelly couch. T.V. and remote. Stunning view. The bed was very hard.
Again, I expected rustic. The view and serenity was worth the room rate.

Now, here is what soured my trip.
"Dog Friendly" is what was advertised on the website and in discussion with Alvina prior to our stay.
Alvina was very friendly to my dog...just not to me. She brought up a basket with some blankets in it, said it was for the dog, and put it down on our floor and left. With a baby in my arms much of the time, I did not immediately rummage through the contents of this basket. Since I am still a nursing and very tired mom, I did not go skiing for the day. While the boys were out skiing my mother-in-law and I decided to go out to lunch with the babe. We were gone maybe 1 1/2 hours, and returned to the room to put my daughter down for her afternoon nap. On my kitchen table was a crumpled up notice about a dog fee that would be incurred if anyone leaves a dog unattended in their room. Alvina had circled the part about the fee, and wrote an additional note saying that she would now charge us a $100 fee. She must have come up to change our towels and seen our sweet dog home alone.

I hurried to her office to apologize and tell her that I had no idea about the policy, as there was no sign, nothing on the website, and no verbal mention of it. The note was apparently tossed in with the doggie treats, so I never saw it. As another reviewer termed it, Alvina became quite "hostile" towards me. She told me that she was "offended" that I left my dog in blatant disregard of her policy. She continued on about how everyone tries to take advantage of her and that they just thing she is "some crazy old lady" that they can just walk all over.
Ooookaaaay. So apparently Alvina has some issues, but I thought I still might try to reason with her calmly. She would not back down. She was on a mission to uphold her precious policy at all costs, and stressed that she was at her wits end trying to get people to respect the policy. Despite my genuine apology and explanation of ignorance regarding her policy, she not only charged us the $100, she also came up to my room to try to collect the money from me later on. She told me emphatically that "only happy dogs" are welcome at her place, insinuating that we were somehow neglecting our dog by leaving him alone in a comfy-cozy hotel room. Well, forgive us if we don't like to leave our dog (who we rescued and nursed back to health) in our car in the parking lot while we eat at a restaurant. Seems to me that would not make for a very happy dog, would it.

I left behind several suggestions for other ways to communicate her policy besides her method of leaving a note on a small piece of paper in the bottom of a doggie gift basket. Once again Alvina, here they are:
1. Post it on your website (or will that keep some business away).
2. Put a sign up in the rooms - right next to the other signs.
3. VERBALLY tell your customers if you are having so much trouble with this.

Ugh. Very upsetting interactions with this dishonest and inflexible woman leading to an uncomfortable stay. We will not go back.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SuzyQChapstick
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I stayed at Holiday House twice before and both times was left feeling that I overpaid for an old, cheaply maintained, run-down, noisy room at a resort with no amentities, but liked the location and especially the proprietor, so I made the mistake of booking a third stay. At the last minute, my boyfriend's son became ill and we had to cancel our stay. I totally respect cancellation policies, especially at smaller places, but she charged us and refused to refund over $150 in additional stay fees that should not have been incurred because we did not stay: $30/day for a dog and $10/day for an extra person, and tax. I expected to lose the room rate, but the fees and taxes? Is it illegal to charge tax when there was technically no sale? She was not sold out the days we booked, so she did not turn away any business on our behalf. Having spent almost $6K there the summer before, I was bitterly disappointed. Overall, the resort is old and poorly maintained, rooms incur a lot of road noise, and there is only small and very rocky lake access. I will never go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank OldDogsRule
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I really enjoyed staying at Holiday House! We just weren't ready to leave!

Very authentic lake house with a great, laid-back vibe. Our stay was quiet and relaxing. Other guests were equally friendly and considerate. Everyone really was great and everyone had dogs!

Our hostess, Alvina, is an awsome lady. She's an attentive, non-intrusive host who really makes you feel at home.

The view was great, the room was cozy. We loved Tahoe Vista and will definitely be back!

Unbelieveable picture perfect views!

Eat breakfast at the Log Cabin too!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#4 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Holiday House? Share your experiences!