“They lost my dog. Poorly managed. Will never stay again.”

Tahoma Meadows B&B Cottages
Ranked #1 of 2 Tahoma B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The title says it all. While this may be a dog-friendly establishment, the services recommended by them should never be trusted as they actually lost my dog. I highly recommend that you do not stay here, as worse yet, they have done nothing in response to my complaints since the event ensued -- not even an apology.

A few details on what happened that allowed such a traumatic event to occur in the first place ... I was attending a wedding near Lake Tahoe with a friend and wanted to bring my dog. I thought that this B&B would be perfect as I could leave my dog in his crate during times when we'd be gone for a few hours. Because I knew I would be gone for more than 8 hours for the wedding, I asked about dog-walking services. The staff quickly responded that this wouldn't be a problem.

In retrospect, this is what I learned.

1. The dog-walker had absolutely no training on dogs. He was just a boyfriend of the staff member.
2. The dog-walker, upon entry into my cottage, failed to close the door. My dog was locked in his crate. The dog-walker then failed to put a leash on my dog. He just opened the crate door. My dog immediately ran out and was gone.
3. Tahoma B&B did not call me for 2 hours after my dog escaped. By the time I got back, it was dark and though I searched for a couple of hours, nothing resulted.
4. Although staff members and some guests helped search the night that my dog escaped, the next morning, no one but my friend and I were searching. The owner from the B&B searched for an hour or so, but then resumed other activities. I am not aware of any other staff member searching for my dog.
5. The dog-walker never apologized for what happened. I called him and instead of returning my call, his girlfriend returned my call.
6. I endured a sleepless night worrying about my dog and even with that, I paid the full amount of my stay for the room. The B&B didn't even offer a token gesture of sympathy for what happened.

With all that said, I have no doubt that the owners and staff were sincerely concerned about my dog's situation. But the way the problem was handled was so poor that I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

The good news is that my friend and I finally found my dog - 20 hours after he went missing. Unfortunately, I cannot thank the B&B for his return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank ShaunaJ
There are newer reviews for Tahoma Meadows B&B Cottages

Reviewed 9 July 2010

We had two spare days in our Californian road trip and came across this property by chance. It is situated on the beautiful west side of Tahoe. Its the overall experience that rates this place five stars. Tahoma Meadows has several cottages in an area just back from the main road and very close to the beautiful lake. Breakfasts are provided in the main building and are quite fantastic. One day we had Creme Brulee french toast. Beautiful. Staff were so helpful and friendly. The nearby beach is lovely. 6000FT above sea level with the most gorgeous aqua coloured water. Now for the bears, you will probably encounter them. On our last day i walked out to the car to start packing and right in front of me was a young male black bear less than 20 metres from me. The maid quickly let off the hooter and the bear was off. A quite remarkable encounter.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2010

Back from another fabulous weekend at Tahoma Meadows! My husband and I and our yellow lab spent Sat and Sunday night in a great cottage (the Angler)...recently redone with hard wood floors and a gas fireplace in the bedroom. We've stayed in several of the cottages and they are all well maintained, clean and adorable! They have a few cottages that allow 4 legged guests...how cool is that.

We found this jewel of a place about 4 years ago and make it up there at least 3 times a year. Dick and Ulli White and their staff are incrediblly hospitable. They love the Tahoe area and can point you in the right direction for eveything....skiing, hiking, eating, you name it!

Check them out...www.tahomameadows.com

You will NOT be disappointed!!!
Colleen and Kevin and the 4 legged kid, Emmie

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

The cabin was tiny and very hot (summer) and I don't remember that there were screens on the windows which we had to leave open. The bathroom sink was unbelievably small like on a train and there were no shelves to put anything. The clawfoot tub was up so high that we almost couldn't get into it. The toilet seat was tiny. Thesmall TV was 'way up on a shelf near the ceiling. The beds were twins and very narrow. Our cabin was next to a larger one that had 4 noisy people who sat outside until the wee hours, drinking and laughing. The best thing about the place was the breakfast - the food was delicious - but it was upstairs, 2nd floor over the office, and I wondered how disabled or elderly people could get up the stairs. At the time, I think our rate was $126 and we really felt gypped.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Zofftig
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We recently stayed 3 nights in the Sugar Pine Cabin - it's adorable. We loved the roominess of 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and having a kitchen. The market down the street was a short walk and very convenient. We really enjoyed our first visit to Tahoe and the Sugar Pine cabin.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We stayed in the Mountain Hideaway cottage and it was lovely but small; it's really a free-standing studio, one room with a tiny kitchenette and a tiny bathroom. However, we enjoyed it despite the size as we were just there to sleep; we had two adults (not a couple), one child, and two dogs for two nights. We asked for an extra "futon" which is just a thick pad for the floor. I think this cottage would have been perfect size-wise for a couple without kids or dogs. The room decor was great, very quaint, all was clean, the breakfasts were awesome, and the staff was friendly and helpful. We also liked the close proximity to Homewood and Sugar Pine Park for snow-shoeing, and Tahoe City is only 6 miles away. The whole Tahoma area was very quiet as the 89 to SLT was closed, so it was nice and peaceful. We plan to go back soon again!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2008

What an amazing property. The owners have done a magnificant job with creating a little jewel amongst the sub average sea of hotels in the area.

I stayed here on and off for a little over month over the summer staying anywhere from 2-6 nights at a time.

All of the rooms (which I stayed in most of them) are unique and comfortable. Most have a small fridge to keep drinks, etc which is so nice. The beds are all comfortable and so are the clawfoot tubs and showers. There are numerous hammocks, outside tables and BBQ'a that you can use.. making it seem like a home away from home. They also provide a GREAT breakfast each morning. Get there early if you can.. it can go pretty fast.

If you need a glass, or plate they have them in the inn for you to borrow. You can even get into the inn after hours with a key, which came in handy late at night when I got back to the hotel and wanted to heat up some dinner or get ice for a cocktail!

The only downside is if you stay in a cottage that houses two rooms. The walls in the bathrooms are VERY thin and you can hear the other guests in their restroom and shower.. so close the door during the night, it helps a bit. You also can not both take a shower at the same time, as one changes the water temp it affects the other shower. But waiting a few minutes is no problem.

A true treasure.. my husband and I can not wait to get back!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahoma
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#4 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Tahoma Meadows B&B Cottages? Share your experiences!