“Funky, but Cool if You're in the Mood”

Delight's Hot Springs Resort
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Ok, it is a funky hot springs resort in the middle of the desert. Peaceful, quiet, not terribly upscale, but comfortable. Very accommodating staff. Intermittent wi-fi (like everywhere in the desert), no cell phone reception. Biggest upside, the location and the hot springs. Downside, no showers in your room ("everyone uses the hot springs") which is ultimately inconvenient. Basically, a nice stay if you're in the mood. If you're not, you might be unhappy.

Room Tip: You want to be near the baths or you'll have a walk to shower...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank RedMustang56

Reviewed 22 December 2012

I was here 7 years ago and the cabins had a cute old west bordello charm. This time--dirty, peeling, decrepit. Some paint and new furniture that isn't hideously scarred and woobly would help. The hot water is still great, but the atmosphere was rushed. Not a bad time, but one we wouldn't repeat.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank landart
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This review is about the RV park AND the hot springs resort in general, not the motel/cabins.

I had low expectations to begin with, and that still didn't help much. This place wasn't terrible or anything, but just not my idea of a relaxing hot springs experience. granted, my of my hot springs visits are to natural or more primitive locations, I have been to my fair share of developed ones, too.

So here's the scoop....

check in... nice reception area, check in was a little slow and basically no information provided by the lady at the counter about what to expect. She was on phone and tossed me a card to fill out my info and charged my credit card and said to go find a site.

RV area was gravel/rock... a few sites off to the east had a nice view of the desert and mtns. The ground were kinda cluttered and there was a bunch of demolished debris near the entrance that was being attended to until late in the evening by a bobcat loader. Otherwise, the area was not private, and there were was little else enchanting about the RV area... which we kinda expected. $39 a night for hookups is almost double the other prices of the nearby resorts, which was my complaint.

The bathroom ( there is 1 that I saw) adjacent to the hot springs rooms was dirty and pretty run down. I had more room to use my trailer toilet than this one, so that's what I did the rest of the time.

The hot springs... They have 4 rooms with different temperatures... I tried rooms 1-3... 3 was too hot, probably over 105.. The others were better... probably 100-105. I'll admit, the water was nice and soft... but you're sitting in a smallish concrete walled dungeon. It really takes away from enjoying the experience. I get that the weather can be extreme here, but in the winter it sure would have been nice to see something other than old re-painted concrete walls. Tub 3 did have a screen for a roof, but it was not clear enough to really see any stars or anything.

While I think they say these tubs are not co-ed, no one seemed to be following that, as it appeared it was mixed men and women. Personally, I have no problem with that and it made it nice for me and my wife to enjoy a tub together. The other thing is each tub has a door with a lock, so you can lock it while you're in there. Kinda cool in one way, crappy in another... crappy, in that there was almost always people waiting out in the sitting area freezing waiting for their "turn".

If you're prejudiced against Asian people, you might not want to come here. It appears it is owned by Asians and they largely cater to them.

I think they had a computer you could use for wi-fi, if needed, but no other real services other than ice and a pay phone.

Again, not a terrible experience, but we moved on after 1 night and for the $39 will not go here again if we find ourselves out this way again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mtnmanlives
Reviewed 20 October 2011

A peaceful, early fall weekend in the desert...this place was just what the doctor ordered! Service was exceptional - everyone treated us like old friends coming to visit, and made it clear that whatever we wanted or needed, they would try to accomodate. Our cabin (#2) was small, but clean- fully stocked kitchen, bathroom, comfy bed, screened in porch and a/c. The mineral baths were amazing! Four private tubs, perfect temp. water, and very clean and well cared for. We were there on a 'busy' weekend but people were scarce and we didn't ever have to wait. And the tubs are available 24 hrs. for guests, so we were able to soak in the quiet of the late night while gazing at the stars...another perk: The restaurant down the street "The Bistro" is a funky 5-star restaurant! Again we were treated like old friends by the staff and the food was excellent...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Only place to soak if you are into hot springs. However, as I was waiting in the waiting area in the evening, the man at the front desk was in a nasty disagreement with someone on the phone. One really doesn't need to hear things like that when one wants to rest and relax.
I have been here several times and the rate went up if you want to soak in the evening. I also found the baths surrounded by an area that needed a good scrub brush on a regular basis--the entire area where people walk--the steps where people sit--the showers---the walls-and the most unappetizing urine in the little plastic trash can that was tied down. Really, the place needs cleaning nightly, but probably doesn't even get it monthly. A scrub brush and fresh paint would be in order to maintain a sense of caring on the part of the owners. Also, this place gets really busy and with greedy people who don't want to give up their baths after the posted time limit. You will find youself waiting quite a while to enjoy the environment. I did not stay at the cabins, but I would not want to stay there, as they are very run down and expensive. In spite of the grime on the floor, I would still return to enjoy the water.
The Bistro 7 miles away is a very nice place to eat a morning crepe.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank hurstdavidj
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I visited for one night in Sept 2009. The cabins are original 1950s (I think!) structures and it felt like the contents were original too - the kitchen in particular! - adding to a fantastic atmosphere that we didn't experience anywhere else in California. Watching the sun set over the desert from our verandah was one of the highlights of our holiday. The private hot springs/baths were clean, even if the water was a bit hot for my taste, and two are open to the stars, I would recommend soaking at night! Other reviews have commented on how the cabins were shabby etc but trust me, this was definitely part of the experience, adding to the atmosphere of the place. The cabin was clean and air-conditioned. There weren't many people around making it really quiet and a welcome contrast to LA. We had an amazing stay (which we totally didn't expect) and would love to visit again. Service was friendly and welcoming, and we weren't over-serviced (they left us to it!) - which was perfect for a relaxing stay. We used the place as a stop-over before heading into death valley, but found ourselves wishing we could stay a couple more days for some more quality relaxation, maybe even making use of the barbeque outside our cabin!

PS. We also visited the "Bistro" down the road (it's the only eatery for miles) and it was honestly some of the best food we had all holiday - also highly recommended. Very friendly place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Clean and quiet, the hot spring water makes your skin feel nice and soft. Nice host and fellow guests when we were there.

Shabby cabins without charm, sagging bed, no coffee provided for guests on the premises. Bring your own or go without. Overpriced and run down.

The pools are too hot (104 degrees f) in my opinion, but this is probably by design to keep people moving so everyone gets a chance to use one of the four pools in privacy. I wish there was a communal pool outside with a comfortable temperature where people could sit and visit and watch the sunrise.

A traveler could do worse. I have. I don't regret staying. I just think this place is overpriced and a bit too run down to recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Delight's Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!