“Great place for a stopover”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Tehachapi
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Tehachapi
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We were heading towards Laughlin Nevada, via Barstow from the Bay Area (CA), and stopped here half-way down.

From the moment we walked into the hotel, we were amazed with now new, and clean everything looked. The staff members were friendly each time we interacted with them - from check-in clear through our check-out the next morning.

The room was almost like a mini-apartment, with a living room area, seperate bed area (seperated with a partition), mini-bar area, and decent-sized bathroom. The room had two TV's, an iPod stereo system, and offered both wired HSIA & Wi-fi. The Wi-fi was not all too reliable, but the wired access was great - they loaned us the cable for the night as I did not happen to bring mine with us.

The (free) breakfast was really good, and offered many choices, including some hot items as well as your typical continental breakfast spread. The breakfast area was kept full & clean.

They have an indoor pool & spa, which I really appreicated, as did my kids. It was cold outside (we were there in March, and there was snow on the higher mountains outside), but the indoor pool stayed nice and warm, and was a great place to play before heading onwards to Laughlin.

The one downfall, which is not really the hotel's fault, is that there is a rail-line close by, and trains use it at all hours of the night. The rooms are pretty insulated for sound, but you'll still hear the trains passing through at odd hours of the night.

Overall, this was a great property, and I would stay here without question if our travel plans took us this direction again.

Room Tip: Ask for the junior 1-bedroom.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank brinaim

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Excessive, noxious chemicals in the pool/spa made them unusable but they were still open for use and the manager should have fixed the problem, not wait for this to fix itself over time. Brown substance and particles floated on the foam in the spa and a toxic level of chemical odor caused guests to miss out on using them. Bad attitude from manager and unsafe amenities caused several guests to change future stays. Manager full of excuses, not solutions - unlike other Marriott's - not up to their standards. I usually stay at Marriott but this one doesn't offer what's advertised. Is this because it's Tehachapi? How cold is the "heated pool?" Coffee maker dirty, hair in tub, etc. I just expect clean and in good working order from Marriott hotels. Am I wrong? No excuses for clean.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank marriottvisitor
Reviewed 10 April 2011

2nd time staying at the Fairfield. Very Clean and fairly new property. Hotel grounds are maintained and parking lot is well lit and partially fenced in. Located along the main strip in Tehachapi - local resturants are very close to the hotel. I had a room on the upper level with a balcony facing the front of the hotel and the railroad tracks... The Union Pacific / BNSF Freight Railroad Mainline is within viewing distance of the hotel. And yes you can hear the trains because they are @ Full Throttle (for us railfans - Run 8) when they come through town - it's a uphill grade.. The closest grade crossing is located more so in town, but you can hear the train horn only if you have you're window or sliding glass door open. It's not very loud to the point where you can't sleep... Hotel has a free breakfast and staff members keep items full. Indoor Pool & Hot Tub - both clean and comfortable after a long day of railfanning between Bakersfield and Mojave CA. Staff was very friendly at check in, and hotel manager came to make sure the Hot Tub was warm enough and I had plenty of towels, something you don't normally see out of a hotel manager. I'll be back in the future. ** For the Railfans - I've included 2 Pictures of a UP Freight so you can see the action 1st Hand for a future stay in Tehachapi **

Room Tip: Train View - Front of the Hotel, Mtn View - Rear
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I am a frequent business as well as leisure traveler and although the hotel itself was very clean with a pleasant atmosphere, the management and I had a disagreement about my pet. I had been a loyal customer with Marriott Corp. for the past 15 years but since, I've rescinded all association with them. Instead of focusing on the long term aspects of potentially losing a loyal customer, they chose to stick to their own myopic vision. Hilton Hotels, here I come.

Daniel R. Ramirez

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank angeldan
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Very friendly and helping staff, clean and spacious rooms and good breakfast what else do I need. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfann
Reviewed 11 October 2010

REALLY nice staff, clean rooms with up-to-date decor and nice indoor pool/jacuzzi. Breakfast was also included (would have been A+ with less carbs and more nutritional food, although I think that's probably what guest prefer).

Would DEFINITELY stay again and recommend!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Stayed for 1 night as we drove cross country and dropped kids at college, really enjoyed everything about this one. We were booked in a suite, great space, very clean, good breakfast. Great Pizza at Pacino's down the street! All in all a great stop on our route, would definately stay again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family