“Hard Knocks”

Best Western Mountain Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Tehachapi
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I am just returning from a 4 week road trip and stayed at many Best Westerns along the way. This was the worst and most expensive. The bed was so hard and old that the mattress edge dug into my leg when I sat down. Everything seems old and worn...cheap amenities, etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Katie R, General Manager at Best Western Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at (661) 822-5591.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

When you travel with a pet, your standards are different. That being said, this place was fine for us. It was reasonable, convenient to restaurants, clean and the beds were very comfortable Also, there is a good place to walk your pooch. It is an older property next to a big new one but we had no choice and I'm sure the new one was more than we would have wanted to pay for just an overnight roadstop. Didn't bother with the "breakfast". The staff was very helpful and friendly and they have a computer for guests. The train is very active all night long. If you have ear plugs...wear them.
We had dinner at Jakes.. it was excellent.

Room Tip: We were in room 102.. bottom level away from the road. It was fine.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zlew

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at (661) 822-5591.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Perhaps I had an unlucky experience but my (non smoking) room smelt of smoke and there was a pair of grubby socks left on the floor.

I did report the smell of smoke to reception and the staff were fine so no gripes there. However, I think the mood was set by that time. Wished I stayed next door , looked a lot better (but is more expensive)

The breakfast room was dark but at least the breakfast was free.

The hotel itself is a bit of a walk from town

Room Tip: Go next door to the other Best Western
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Was driving in "white-out" conditions & decided to stop early. Tehachapi is a nice, quiet community & the Best Western is Pet friendly. My dog & I stayed here a few years ago. The staff is friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sharon O

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Hit sleet in the mountains and needed to stop. Basic but clean room, comfy beds, really friendly staff, and the continental breakfast had hot items. I don't like doors that exit to the outside, but this place was pretty safe and quiet. Very pet friendly as well- my cat didn't want to leave. Just let the front desk know you're bringing a pet, and there's no extra pet charge. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 25 March 2012

because Best Westerns are becoming more consistent across the brand. Nothing spectacular - rooms are updated, clean and neat; breakfast has hot items such as sausage biscuit sandwiches, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc; free wi-fi and a computer/printer in the lounge. Overall - clean, orderly and reasonably priced in the old town of Tehachapi. We could hear the train a-comin' during the day, but not at night - not sure if they didn't run any or that they were travelling faster during the day .....

Room Tip: a couple of rooms overlook the train park across the street
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've stayed at numerous Best Westerns and this one is on the lower end of the scale. It's not bad, it was just OK... especially for the price. I paid $80-something and it really should have been more like $50 for what you get. The rooms are very clean, Wi-Fi was good and they did have a free continental breakfast (although, not as good as other BWs). Refrigerator sucked, we had to plug it in when we got there and it never got cold - we had a cooler of food for our road trip so we had to keep getting ice so it wouldn't spoil. The console that housed the fridge, microwave, coffee pot and TV was ridiculous; coffee pot was way up top and I had to stand on a chair to set up the entire rig (there wasn't any room on the lower shelf to put the coffee pot on). I know they're doing construction to renovate so maybe things will be better soon... Would I stay here again? Not for $80+/night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ToughMary
Katie R, Manager at Best Western Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013