“A Taste of the Old World...”
Review of Vallee d'Brume

Vallee d'Brume
Ranked #2 of 12 Dessert in Temecula
Cuisines: French
Description: Also known as Bel Villagio European Bakery
Description: Also known as Bel Villagio European Bakery
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Excellent French pastries and great coffee! We try to stop in at least once a week.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I met a colleague here for breakfast on a Thursday morning. He uses this cafe as his office sometimes! I can see why. The cafe is very quaint. I had the "Susan" crepes; they were filled with ham, eggs, and mushrooms, and topped with fresh strawberries! YUM! My colleague had the Franch toast, which looked marvelous. The pastries looked to die for!

The only downside is that the service wasn't so great. Our table was nearest the entry to the kitchen. The server walked by our table many times and didn't remove dirty plates, or offer refills of coffee.

Our tab was less than $30. I will definitely be back! Lunch and dinner are also served -- I'm anxious to try other items.

1  Thank Lepha
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The "Vallée d'Brume Bakery & Cafe" advertises itself on the building it occupies as a pastry shop. To me that's like fresh, live flowers are to bees: I went there, twice. The first time because I'm always eager to discover a pastry shop worthy of the name; the second time, I went expecting to have a positive experience to cancel the negative first experience.

Both times I visited, I tried the cherry tart. It has beautiful, dark red cherries in a pâte sablée crust. The first time I was disappointed because the pastry shell was not fresh and was refrigerated and soggy. I visited a second time and thought that maybe a second chance would provide me with a good source of French style pastries, but that was not to be. There was no redemption: The cherry tart's pastry shell was the same both times and equally inedible. Visualize eating cold, soggy, thin, wet toast with a payload of gluey jam with a fork.

I asked a woman with an eastern European accent who was sitting at the table next to mine and who was having the same cherry tart how hers was. She told me that it was excellent, but I could see that her tart's pastry shell was no better than mine had been. Obviously, she had no idea of how that pastry shell should be and was happy to eat a soggy pâte sablée.

The cherries, I forgot to mention the cherries. The few cherries were stretched across the pastry shell and held together with a gluey, sticky, red, mucilage both times that I had that tart.

Another woman and I chatted while we waited in line; I had decided to try more than one thing to give that establishment which also calls itself a bistro (not so!) more than one chance to redeem itself. She was surprised that I knew the difference between a soggy pastry shell and one that wasn't and was nice enough to recommend an apple tart, Florentine cookies both with and without chocolate, and coconut macaroons.

The day that I was there, they had only the fabled apple tart: sliced half apple on apple sauce on a puff pastry rectangle. It was better than I expected it would be, but it too was soggy under the apple sauce although not as soggy as the cherry tarts.

Because it was lunch time, I chose to have their Quiche Lorraine with a salad. The salad came with slivered, but not blanched, almonds with oil and vinegar. Because the greens were fresh, it was acceptable. The quiche, although tiny, looked very good and its aroma was as one would expect it to be, but it didn't smell as if had just been made. However, it was warmed in a microwave oven, and by now, you should be able to guess what happened to its pastry shell: It was soggy!

I don't know if the quiche's pastry shell was soggy before it was warmed up, or whether it became soggy as a consequence of warming it up in a microwave. Doesn't every child know to use a real, not a microwave, oven to avoid that?

During my first visit, I sampled huge, sweet, chocolate, dipped strawberries. There were none to be had on my second visit. When I had them, I noticed that there was a thin layer of condensation on the chocolate, and while I was chatting with the woman who recommended the tart, I noticed that a torte with a chocolate frosting also had a layer of condensation. That happens when you store chocolate for too long, and instead of getting soggy, it acquires condensation.

Basically, the proprietor is not selling everything he prepares and stores what is left over in his pretty, refrigerated pastry case with the curved European style glass too long. Of course, stuff like that which is sold at a premium should be fresh to be worth what one pays for it.

The atmosphere: The place is dark, but they have plenty of cookbooks for patrons to peruse while they wait.

Will I go back? No. Would I recommend Vallée d'Brume to anybody? Heck no!

2  Thank FastidiousDiner
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Had my daughters graduation cake made here, look and tasted amazing, chocolate ganoche filing is amazing. Also a great place for breakfast with amazing pastries and food. Very cute inside.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

So cute and so French. If you love a crunchy crossant, pain du chocolate and other french pastries you will love this place. We had a nice breakfast here and really enjoyed the omelets and pastries. It does get crowded, but in warmer months there is plenty of room for outside dining. Service was warm and friendly and we took home pastries for later.