“Spa is a good budget getaway”

South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

This review is specific to the Grapeseed Spa. My friend and I found a deal on Travelzoo for a massage with lunch, so we headed to the spa for the day. The resort grounds are beautiful with grapevines, rose bushes, and flower gardens lining the walkways. The downside is the pervasive smell of manure that surrounds the pool and spa area. And sadly, there are flies everywhere. My friend felt it really put a damper in the "relaxation" factor.
The massage was well worth the price and as mentioned, the package included lunch. Their spa menu is limited and the food was hit or miss. I would have been irritated to pay $18 for the quality, but since it was included it was ok. We received wine/champagne as part of our package and both were very good.
The spa is definitely not on par with some of the higher end ones I've been to, but if you get a deal and are looking for some budget R & R, it does the job.

• Stayed: April 2014
SCWRS, Guest Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Good afternoon, Melissa:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the GrapeSeed Spa. It’s always a pleasure to see reviews from guests who were fortunate enough to have found – and then took advantage of – that amazing offer we put together with the TravelZoo team. I see you and your friend enjoyed a full-body massage, lunch and wine served up poolside with South Coast Hospitality. I noticed you also got to take in the sights from the balcony of our three-story spa, with its panoramic views of South Coast Winery’s gardens, vineyards and the breathtaking mountains that surround Temecula Valley’s Wine Country.

While we’re delighted to see you enjoyed the views of our lush gardens and vineyards, it seems that you may not have appreciated the temporary inconvenience which the composting practices from a neighboring winery may have brought with it. We hope you’ll accept our apologies for this temporary inconvenience, and trust you’ll give us another try with a visit to see us soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I decided to take my wife away for a night to SC Winery Resort & Spa. We got the VIN-clusive package. Everything was excellent!!! Couples massage, wine tasting & a fantastic dinner! We will be back!!!

2  Thank jarellanes

Hi Jarellanes,

Thank you for your review and for choosing South Coast Winery Resort & Spa for your anniversary getaway. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience all things di-"vine" that our Resort has to offer. We look forward to extending a warm welcome upon your next visit!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Flew in from Australia and drove down to this Resort for a night before Coachella. Set in a vineyard, it was quite picturesque. I missed out on the wine tasting, so checked in and was pleased with the room. Two large beds, fireplace, roomy bathroom, and an outlook over the vineyard. The pool was nice too, we got to enjoy the hot tub before heading into town to find some food (which is a bit of a hike). Overall would recommend as a romantic getaway for couples and wine connoisseurs.

Room Tip: If you've on level 1/ground you will have a larger balcony, but try and get a higher floor so yo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Droods,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We are pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of the amenities we offer during your short stay! If we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, may we suggest dining in our award-winning Vineyard Rose Restaurant for a travel-free dining experience? Thank you again for choosing South Coast Winery Resort & Spa for your stay.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I definitely DO NOT recommend eating at their restaurant. The service was HORRIBLE. For the prices we paid for dinner I was expecting decent service and it was far from it. Other than that everything else was amazing. Our room was beautiful, very clean, and new, definitely up to date. It was a very relaxing trip. Loved the wine tasting room and the spa and hotel part. Was very disappointed with the restaurant though. I would recommend driving back into town (which is only 5-10 mins away) and eating at one of the many restaurants in Temecula.

Room Tip: First floor comes with Jacuzzi Tubs!

Hi Wino90,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to provide you with a memorable experience in our Hotel, Tasting Room, and Spa, however, we are saddened to hear that the service in our Restaurant was not of the same quality. Our Team strives for Resort-wide, first-rate service, and we regret the inconsistency you experienced during your stay. We truly value the constructive criticism you have provided and use all feedback toward improving guests' experiences. We thank you for choosing South Coast Winery for your recent stay, and we trust that you will return upon your next visit to Temecula Valley Wine Country.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I can't give this review anything but a 5 star as it exceeded by expectations. With the Kit and Kaboodle package, we received a case of very good cabernet, 2 good mimosa breakfasts and a light and entertaining wine tour. Compared to the Napa area, this was a great high-end value. The grounds are very nice and the pool area is large and pleasant. Even 5 stars are not perfect. If I had to critique.... tubs are small.. check-in a tad long... but I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi jkelly511,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We are so pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations on your Temecula Valley Wine Country visit. Our Team graciously accepts your compliments, and equally welcomes the critiques as they assist in reaching the degree of excellence we strive to achieve. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to show you what our Resort has to offer, and we would love to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stayed at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa while on a date. I used their website and chose the Kit & Cab-oodle package which included two nights in one of their villas. I arrived at night and had never been to the villas area before. It was actually a little hard to find based on their signage. I first stopped into the winery and asked an employee I found walking around outside to point me in the right direction.

Once inside the resort tower I felt is was very nice and everyone was quite helpful. Check-in was fairly simple but I felt there was almost too much information given and made it seem confusing. It's not a knock on the reception desk. They did a great job, it's just a lot.

We made our way over to the villa and it seemed very nice at first glance. A closer look over 2 days revealed some lack of attention to detail you'd find in similar high end resorts. There was a bottle of Chardonnay waiting and it was a nice touch. I felt the bed and furnishing were in good order and comfortable. The bathroom was also nice and spacious but, the fixtures are dated in chrome and gold. The shower had two shower heads but the handle style shower head didn't work properly and wouldn't stay in an upward position. The Jacuzzi tub was way too small even for one person. It was wide enough it seems but it was only maybe 4 ft long tops.

Overall the room was decent but I can't say it was as top of the line as I'm used to for this price point. There are some things that stood out for me that I felt could have been done better.
* Hand-held shower head needed to be fixed
* A prior stain on the carpet had been cleaned improperly resulting in a very light colored patch on the floor.
* Fireplace had a 30 minute timer that sounded like a bomb ticking down.
* In suite refrigerator had two complimentary waters and no snacks. At other resorts I've seen mini bar style offerings with variety of items. If you're going to comp water put more in there. They are only .20 cents a piece.
* Bathroom fixtures are dated in chrome and gold.
* The room lights are warm glow but some accent lights above are blueish LED and do nothing for room mood.
* Television offerings are not good at all. It's a very old -school system controlled by a central broadcast via the hotel. So to even listen to a music channel would cost money. Offering a bedside alarm-clock radio as the alternative is below grade at this price point.
* I felt a slightly larger off-suite patio with loungers would have been very nice. I could see myself taking a nap outside over looking the vineyard.

Service: Two breakfast/brunch meals were included in the package and they were nice. I had the breakfast burrito and it was very good and would recommend it. I had the omelet the second day and it was decent. When I checked in for the breakfast the host is very quick and I felt she wanted to get the seating over as quick as possible. Our server on day one was a young woman and her skills in upscale are lacking. On day two our server was Julio and he was spot on despite a strong Latin accent. Good job to Julio! He's a fast talker but knows good service.

Lastly, we did the "Behind the Scenes Wine Tour". It's only an hour long and the guide "Tony". Tony's a pleasant man with a healthy sense of humor but I didn't feel he had a strong sense of wine knowledge.

Overall the visit was relaxing and that's what I was seeking. Would I go back to SCW to stay? Hmmm, I'm not sure? If the deal was right I'd consider it.

Room Tip: Ask for a Villa overlooking the vineyard. You may even see some hot air balloons outside in the earl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SCWRS, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hi Bsaw:

Thank you for choosing South Coast Winery Resort & Spa for your recent getaway. We appreciate your feedback and we will use those comments to improve upon our amenities and service. Thank you for recognizing Julio's service; we think highly of him as well. We hope that you will return to visit us soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My boyfriend and I loved our stay. We booked the all VINclusive package which had everything we needed to enjoy ourselves. We started the day off at the spa and recieved soothing massages and a glass of wine. It was nice to relax in the spa after driving all day. We then went to wine tasting and after that we checked into our beautiful suite. We were in 3101, which I heard is the most requested room due to the view. The next morning we enjoyed a calming breakfast ourside with mimosas, which was also included in the package. It was amazing and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. We will be coming back because of the wonderful amenities and amazing service for every person we encountered.

Room Tip: 3101 and 3104 villas have the best view ! :)

Dear Jasmin J:

Thank you for your 5 star review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa! We are always delighted to read the impression guests take home with them. Furthermore, we are pleased that you and your boyfriend had the opportunity to enjoy all of the Resort amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.