“Very pleasant winery”

Peachy Canyon Winery
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Templeton
More attraction details
Owner description: Peachy Canyon is one of the oldest family owned and operated wineries on Paso Robles' west side. The tasting room is located in a refurbished 1800's era schoolhouse on one of Peachy Canyon's four estate vineyard properties (the appropriately named "Old Schoolhouse" vineyard). We're known for our award-winning red Zinfandel lineup - including super premium Zins that are often produced in lots of less 400 cases each - as well as our Bordeaux and Rhone varietal wines. We believe in sustainable winemaking and are dedicated to "keeping it local." Our vineyards are managed by us, and all grapes are harvested and processed by hand by our team. Our tasting room offers a spacious lawn picnic area and a gazebo, not to mention beautiful vineyard surroundings! Stop by with a picnic and have a glass with us... Chairs, blankets, (leashed) pets and children always welcome.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stopped here because we have purchased these wines in a retail shop prior. The wines were average, but the staff was patient and thoroughly explained each one when served. There is a tasting fee but the staff did not rigidly stick to the number of wines suppose to be served. I was impressed how the staff rinsed each glass before pouring a new wine. Zins are their specialty. The visit takes about an hour.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This winery is among many in Paso Robles area. At first glance, the building doesn't seem quite like the other competitors but this is part of its charm!

We stopped in for a $10 tasting that included 6 tastes. My husband and I each had three tastings and shared with each other. The Viognier was delicious; the port was also quite nice. They have a large selection of Zinfandels if you have a delicate palette to distinguish between them all. To me, the three Zinfandels I tried tasted about the same.

Overall, the employees were friendly and knowledgeable, the tasting room was clean, quaint and inviting, and the wine was affordable and delicious.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

We regularly purchase Peachy Canyon Westside at retail and made certain that our Paso Robles wine tour included a stop here. We were disappointed.

This was stop #2 out of a total of 8 wineries visited. All charged $10 for tasting.

The Viognier was delicious and I purchased a bottle. The reds are good, but with nothing available to clear the palate, the second tasted sour after the first. I asked for water and was told I could purchase a bottle from the cooler. It appeared that another attendant knew how to operate the water tap and came out with a carafe and a cup for me. All the remaining wineries had crackers or pretzels. Some even had bits of cheese.

To waive the tasting fee, a purchase of $50 is required, the white I purchased didn't meet that requirement. The tasting room, located in an historic school house is cute and they had a number of unique wine-related items for sale.

Maybe we were there on an "off" day because it was a Thursday, but with all the options in the area, I can't recommend this one.

2  Thank TucsonTeeter
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I really enjoyed this place. First, the wine is worth the stop. But the tasting room staff was fun, welcoming and not at all snobby. We had so much fun and enjoyed the wine so much, we joined the wine club!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I am a self-proclaimed expert on winery tasting rooms having visited more than 200 over the past 20 years. I’ve tasted extensively in Sonoma, Napa, Oregon. Australia, Bordeaux and Burgundy and this was, by far, my single worst experience. The wines were off which I first attributed to being open too long. But when I tasted wine directly from a freshly opened bottle it was clear something was dreadfully wrong. It was also clear that many others visiting Peachy Canyon's tasting room shared their less than positive impressions with the tasting room staff because our tasting started off on a defensive note. The staff were sour to the point of being surly and argumentative. And that is an accurate description of their Westside Zinfandel. The usual berry flavors of Zin were missing replaced by an intense tartness and lack of structure, The Petite Sirah was suitably dark but utterly lacking in depth and flavor with not a hint of bouquet. Given the many other tasting rooms in the area with friendly staffs and good to great wines, just keep driving when you see their sign.

2  Thank Calistoga Grower
PeachyCanyon, Public Relations Manager at Peachy Canyon Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Hello Calistoga Grower,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you had a negative experience in our tasting room. As a family-owned business it's always our goal to make the best wine and give people the best experiences that we can. While we often make many people happy, we did not succeed in your case, and for that we apologize. I only wish we had heard of your negative experience sooner so that we could have tried to rectify it immediately with the staff at that time.

As you know, wine is a reflection of terroir and changes with each vintage. I invite you to give Peachy Canyon another try. If you have any additional questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us directly through our Wine Club Manager at ryan@peachycanyon.com.