“Look no further for Mexican Food in SLO county”

Chulo's Cafe & Cantina
Ranked #7 of 27 Restaurants in Templeton
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Latin/American Fusion food (805) 434-3044
Description: Latin/American Fusion food (805) 434-3044
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Finally Finally Finally - we have found good mexican food in SLO county - hidden in Templeton of all places. We are from TX and love our Tex Mex - mexican food should be saucy, kind of cheesy, fresh and tasty - not a whole grain tortilla wrapped around an avocado and sprouts with fish inside. Chulo's delivers. Not to mention, their chips are fresh and served warm. The ONLY downside to this place is the salsa - however, it is not such a negative that it would keep us from returning. This is it. We are sold. The search is over. They are in the medical center, tucked into a corner. As of now, they are serving dinner only on Th, F, & Sat. We had dinner and all 4 different entrees were delicious & portions are large enough to share. If you are familiar with Tex Mex, the beef fajitas will not be what you are expecting - although tasty, the entree is more of a stew than the traditional skirt steak on a sizzling platter. I found this place from reviews on Yelp - not always sure to trust those - I rely a ton on TripAdvisor reviews so I wanted to include Chulo's here for others. You won't find a website for Chulo's either but they are working on it. They have been here for 3 years & recently renewed their lease for another 5 - I see Chulo's becoming a busy spot once everyone finds out they are now open for dinner.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were staying for a few days in Templeton and wanted Mexican food for dinner. We found this place through Trip Advisor and decided to take a look at it. I wasn't sure what to expect since it sounded like it was mixed in with medical offices. But it looked really nice out front so we tried it. It was great! It wasn't very crowded (around 7 pm on a Saturday night) but they had a nice patio area where most people were sitting. The employees were friendly and the food portions were large. We all enjoyed our dinner and my husband and I enjoyed our margaritas too. This definitely seems like a hidden gem for locals or visitors.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I go here often. We live right around the corner and love to go there on Friday nights right after work. We are never disappointed. They have fish and chips, enchiladas, fish tacos, etc. beer and wine cocktails. The owners work very hard to please you! Excellent lunch and weekend breakfast too.
The restaurant is located at the end of Posada Lane in the middle of medical buildings. Their food reputation makes up for their location. They are not open every night, just Friday and Saturday.

2  Thank ladybug96
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The food is good! always tempting specials on the board. The service is fast and pleasant, I have no favorites I am still working my way through the menu, so far so good!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently ate at Chulos but have eaten there many times. They are open for breakfast and lunch, maybe dinner on weekends? Best fresh Mexican food! Great crepes! The lunch and breakfast menu has so many great offerings, including non-Mexican offerings that are really tasty. Sometimes a little understaffed and that can slow drink refills but WORTH it! The owner is the nicest lady. Definitely off the beaten path, but a hidden gem and a wonderful spot for vacationers and locals alike!

1  Thank KayJF